“Good location, beautiful rooms, some minor improvements needed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #42 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, beautiful rooms, some minor improvements needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Had an enjoyable stay at this beautiful hotel, which was a good base for exploring Amsterdam whilst being away from the busy centre.

The staff were very helpful, the complimentary minibar useful, and the rooms well appointed and decorated.

We had a problem with our first room which smelt a lot of smoke but we were immediately moved to a room with a canal view which was far nicer (try and get if possible).

Overall a pleasant stay but they need to ensure that rooms are properly checked and aired if needed and the check in process could be quicker.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

We first stayed here in 2009, and were delighted to get the chance to return. The Amrath is a great base from which to explore Amsterdam, within walking distance of the Central Station, and the lovely meandering streets and canals.

The hotel itself is nothing short of stunning; architecturally and decoratively. You must take some time to wander around and see the remains of the majestic shipping offices and the lovely glass and woodwork.

The staff are always on hand to help and advise, and the facilities such as spa, free mini bar, comfortable bed and spacious room all add to a great experience.

I hope we get a chance to stay again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Excellent value for money. Beautiful old design with very comfortable modern facilities and good service.
Great breakfast and location at walking distance from the central railway station. Wifi in rooms, only regret was that we didn't have a lot of time there!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

This is a classic old building and convenient for the main station in Amsterdam central. Rooms are very grand with high ceilings and plenty of room.

I was only there for one night but was made to feel very welcome. The all inclusive mini bar was very tempting and had I not been out for the evening I am sure I would have taken more advantage. As it was we had an excellent lunch in the restaurant.

This was close to a 5 star but held back slightly by rather slow process for checkin and checkout. It's great to be offered a seat for this but really juts wanted it to be quicker. Really all large hotels should offer quick check out systems. If the Grand Hotel had one I didn't discover it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Vienna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

A short walk from Amsterdam Centraal, the hotel has very nice rooms, some with a great view over a canal. My (superior) room was big, nicely decorated, in a way which fits with the history of the place, high ceilings, a free minibar, coffee machine, all amenities one needs etc etc... Although the reception is small, I never experienced waiting there. Definitely a hotel I enjoy going to.
Coffee machines should be checked. My colleague and I both had troubles with no enough water going through. But this is a minor trouble for the pleasure you overall get.
I could open my window, which I like.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are worth the extra price (as long as you still find a good deal through internet)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Lavallette, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I recently stayed at the Grand Hotel Amrath (February 2014) for a second time. What I appreciate most about this hotel is the convenience to and from Central Station. It is quite literally across the street. It is also in very close proximity to where all the action takes place - yet not surrounded by any pubs or coffee shops that might make some people feel uncomfortable. Upon arrival there was someone waiting to take my bags and two wonderful receptionists who sat me down, checked me in early, and helped make my stay in Amsterdam very comfortable. I was also pleased to learn that the WiFi connection in the hotel was very strong (which can often be disappointing in some hotels in Amsterdam). I brought a laptop with me to do some work and had no problems whatsoever. I also like to ignore the time change whenever I am travelling overseas and after hanging up the 'Do Not Disturb' sign I had no one bother me the entire time I was there. Another great convenience is the free mini-bar. It is filled with all sorts of sodas, alcoholic drinks, and water. The bathroom had a shower and a bath, the bed was very comfortable (so much so that I slept to 11 am one morning - I never do that!), and the decor of the room was warm and very stylish. The only thing that puzzles me is why anyone would want to stay at another hotel. It has it all and is reasonably priced throughout the year. I will definitely be back again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in August 2012. Champagne on arrival, beautiful room, treats left in the room every day , free mini bar, lovely staff, just outside the centre so a nice stroll in and out of town, breakfast superb a lovely hotel to stay in.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!