“Very enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #43 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Woburn Sands, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in a superior double with a city view room. We asked for a high floor (obviously this is relative in Amsterdam as they do not have particularly tall buildings) and we had great views over the roof tops towards the city. The room was spacious and you could sit on the window sill with a beer (other drinks are available) and watch the sun go down. Bed was very comfortable with big feather pillows. The free mini bar is also a really good concept - clearly they have worked out how much people use it and it is built into the room rate but we still think it is a great feature. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. We had a snack in the bar one evening - which was good quality and tasty - however we did not have breakfast or any other meals in the hotel so don't know the quality. The spa was very good. Pool, steam room, sauna x 2, hot tube. A small gym as well. The location is great - just a 10 minute amble to the old town with its interesting window displays... We are always a bit confused by ratings of hotels but to us this was a very good four star - not a true five star. But don't let that put you off. Would stay again.

2,220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Plymouth, Mass
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Beautiful redone old shipping building near train station.Easy walking distance to restaurants and boat trips along canal.The hallways are somewhat dark.,and almost maze like .Our room had a canal view, it was very big! The bath accessories were great, along with the fluffy robes they provide.I must say the bed was incredibly comfy with a nice downlike comforter.The breakfast was very nice ,and included many items you don't see often.It was about 25 Euros.The mini bar is complimentary.It is restocked each day,although popcorn was the only food item.Would recommend highly!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Lovely Art Deco building and sympathetic interior refurb. Great location.Staff very helpful,and our anniversary stay was made special for us. The bed was WONDERFUL,one of the best we've ever slept in.Complimentary minibar (a rare commodity these days!).Room with a city view was first class.with the original high-ceiling still there!. Only one negative,my husband slipped while trying to get into the hot-tub in the Spa.Injured his foot and knee because steps into tub are deceptive and cannot be clearly seen if tub is running. Luckily no permanent injury,but this happened on our second (anniversary)day so the old g.t had to hobble round for the remaining 3 days. So be warned if using the hot-tub!! Otherwise we would use this hotel again,we preferred it to the American.

Room Tip: Get a city view if possible
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed her while on a business trip, the checkin was an experience where they sit you down in an office an tell you all about the hotel. I was given an upgrade to a Junior suite which was fantastic and had a great view, I made good use of the free minibar! Yes a free minibar! And a well stocked one too. The hotel is in a great location five minutes walk fro the train station and five minutes from Dam square. Bed was very comfortable great mattress. The hotel has a really nice pool and gym area. The only negative was the €25 breakfast which was not included and I only had once in my three night stay, it was not worth €5, self service everything was cold even the coffee. I also didn't like being surprised with a €30 departure city tax which wasn't on the booking price although I feel a bit bad complaining about it as they did upgrade me. I would definitely stay again and highly recommend it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Good location, friendly staff, clean room, comfortable bed. The building is old, and I could see they are working to make it better (but there is only so much you can do with the old building). The internet was very spotty, but I did get a letter from management indicating that they were upgrading the wireless, so your experience may be better in the future. I would stay here again and would recommend if a good room rate can be found.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Lovely Hotel , stayed here for my partners birthday and I emailed them before we went asking if I could request a room with a view as I wanted it to be special and I was told that it wasn't possible but they will make sure our stay is lovely ... So I just thought well I asked ...
Anyway when we arrived we found out we had been upgraded and our room had the most amazing views over the city , and to top it off a little bottle of champers ,off the duty managers with a hand written welcome card wishing my partner a happy birthday .... A lovely little touch .
Mini bar fully replenished everyday and the bols vodka .... Mmmmmm Love it
Bed was huge , bath was like a pool and the power shower was powerful :-)
Oh and the location is literally 5 min walk from central station x
Yeah great stay and will be back without a shadow of a doubt :-)

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I wonder who gave this hotel five stars..... The room was run down (we had booked a junior suite), had seen better days. The room did not match the expectations provided at the time of booking. The jym was nothing to write home about. Unfortunately an overall disappointment. The price and quality were not in balance. The best part was the friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!