“Great location and amenities.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #43 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hertfordshire
“Great location and amenities.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just back from a 3 night stay. Lovely rooms although we have to be moved as we had booked a twin room and were given a double. Both rooms were spacious and quiet. Free mini bar and the Nespresso machine were a bonus. We had the French breakfast in the bar which was huge and kept us going all day!. The spa was fab, not huge but it was never very busy and a pleasure to use. The only downsides were the wait to check in/out there always seemed to be a queue there and there is no relaxing lounge with sofa's and arm chairs or at least we never found one. Make sure you go up to the 3rd floor and check out the windows.

Room Tip: 2nd & 3rd floor rooms are very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Have stayed here several times and have never been disappointed.Former commercial property turned hotel which overlooks a former dock an the new Library it offers the visitor comfort and good service.Like to have a room on the upper floors and this was provided with a good view looking out from the city.Cuisine is good here but one has a lot of good quality restaurants nearby.Excellent choice for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are recommended for the vistas they offer
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

If you're tired of carbon copy hotels where you feel you could be anywhere in the world try the Grand Hotel Amrath in Amsterdam. We had a double room with a high ceiling on 2 levels that had a complimentary mini bar. For once I didn't feel like I was staying in a sauna and the maze of corridors only added to the charm of the stay. It's just a few metres from the station and breakfast is well worth a try at least once during your stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Me and my lass stayed at the amrath recently and I can totally recommend this hotel. Breakfast was very good, staff very polite and friendly, rooms clean and luxurious, location is very good, bed comfy, sturdy and quiet!
The complimentary mini bar is a very good idea as I'm often amazed at the cost of drinks in hotels. I think it would be a good idea for the majority of hotels to follow this. I imagine the cost of this service is recouped in repeat business.
We will definitely be going back to Amsterdam and we will definitely be staying here when we do

• Stayed September 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just completed an 8-night stay at the Amrath during a very busy trade fair, IBC. Had a group of 6 to look after and staff were beyond great. The concierges were all friendly and helpful and when my many boxes got lost, they helped me get them out of Amsterdam customs.

The breakfast was fantastic and the gal Cristen who runs the shipping department deserves a promotion! I had to leave in a big hurry and she actually packed up my boxes had them sent to me. this hotel's service is the best I have come across in a very long time. Our group used to stay at the Grand Sofitel but left last year when it turned into "just another chain". the Amrath is a really cool hotel with free wifi and free mini-bar. I give it 6 plus stars, the staff there really rocks!

My only wish was that the gym was a little better, as the weight room was spare and the equipment a little tired, but all the walking in Amsterdam, you don't really need a good gym.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I don't know why I hesitated before booking this hotel but I did. It was a great stay. Very nice architecture. Great room with high ceiling, Very quiet. Free mini-bar. Near central station and many restaurants albeit tourist restaurants. If I return to Amsterdam I will not hesitate to book this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in September. Was fantastic. I agree the with a lot of the other reviews - the entrance/reception area is a little chaotic, but that just seemed to be because of the peculiar layout. All the staff we encountered were extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable.

The hallways etc are a little cold - not in temperature more in feel and the building is a little bit of a maze to get around (I think this is probably what turned off a few people who said that this hotel shouldn't be 5 star). That said, the very small lobby and other public areas are beautifully restored in a beautiful detailed modernist style which I'm told is 'Amsterdam School'. I really recommend just having a wander around the hotel and opening a few random doors - I did this trying to find the grand staircase and discovered some really spectacular spaces which must be function rooms of the hotel.

Breakfast was a very comprehensive buffet which was nice, but nothing really made me say wow. There is however a spectacular modernist sculpture in the middle of the dining room which just takes your breath away anyway! The staff in breakfast were extremely helpful - made me poached eggs bespoke as I felt like these and there was only fried and scrambled eggs on the buffet. They even remembered which tea myself and my partner liked when we came in for breakfast the next morning despite it being rather busy.

Our room was luxurious with spectacularly high ceilings (necessitating the need for the motorised opening and closing of curtains) and beautifully decorated in an early 20th Century style. I absolutely adored the modernist light fittings in particular - simple but very elegant. The well stocked complementary mini-bar was a lovely touch (although I did feel totally unnecessary). I will definitely return here on my next visit to Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!