“Great location, good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #45 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hotel is well situated near the station and well placed for exploring the city on foot. The hotel itself is staggeringly gothic but well restored with parts of its history well preserved. After a few nights it felt very much like home. The facilities are great, the staff helpful and friendly and the "free" mini bar a plus. The breakfast is very expensive and it is much cheaper, and more fun, to shop around in the near by cafe's. Perhaps not a five star hotel but a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room on the canal side of the hotel, quieter and a good view of the city.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Lovely building but no way is thus hotel a 5 star.
When we arrived we were told by the staff on reception (who did not make us feel welcome at all, in fact made us feel very uncomfortable) our room was not ready which wasn't true as they said their was a problem with our payment which was also wrong as the hotel had been paid for in full a few weeks prior to our trip, & luckily I had a print out of this so when they realised they had made a mistake our room was ready straight away!!! We were also asked to put 200 euros down as a deposit for things like room service which I didn't understand as we were not using the room service etc we tried to explain this but the staff were not interested in listening which I found very rude.
We were then shown to our room which was very small, dark & with dirty brown marks over the bed and the bathroom had not been cleaned, I was so disappointed especially as I had booked the hotel as a surprise anniversary gift for my husband. We then got moved to a bigger room which was ok no view thou and as we had paid extra for a city view we were really disappointed.
On a positive note the bed was really comfortable and the shower was lovely & free mini bar was a bonus.
I can honestly say I didn't see anyone eating in the restaurant, so decided to give it a miss so can't comment on the food.

I loved Amsterdam and will be visiting again, but I would defiantly chose a different hotel the NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky is the best choice of 5 star and situated in the perfect place.

I must admit I read all the reviews before choosing the amrath I am so disappointed as I really thought I would be writing a positive review.

• Stayed June 2013
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

The building it’s beautiful. The location of the hotel is superb, close to the Central Station and to the center of the city.
The rooms are clean and with coffee machine, and good coffee and tea.
The bed is really comfortable and it is a big one. And the mini bar is free.
Our room was good, not big as we stayed in the standard one, also we didn't know while booking that the city view has to be booked so if you want a view made sure you book the correct room.
The amenities for the bathroom are also really good, and they replaced it every day, at least to us because we were using them.
The Spa has a Jacuzzi for 4 people maximum, a pool and 2 saunas. It was good to relax there at the end of the day. It closes at 22.00 if I remember well.
I didn’t try the restaurant, so I don't have an opinion.
The only not very good thing for me has the staff, there are not valets or at least I didn't see one and been a 5 star hotel they should have valets.
Also the staff at reception, I didn't find them nice, I can't explain very well, we have a few inconvenient the first few days in our room and I felt like I was asking a favor when it is their job to make you feel welcome and relax. They, of course sorted the problems out but in my opinion customer service is not just simply sorting the things out.
I would go back to the hotel but crossing my fingers that I won’t need anything repaired in the room.

• Stayed June 2013
Letchworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Really lovely hotel. Superior room was great especially the free mini bar! Pool and leisure facilities excellent. Staff extremely helpful. Breakfast would have been expensive so we chose to eat at a nearby cafe which was very good value for money, circa 10 euros for 2, and delicious especially the pancakes.

Room Tip: Worth the extra money for a superior room, really special.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ny
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I booked a single room for a week in amsterdam months in advance asking for a quiet room. After standing in a line to check in since the only 2 chairs in the tiny lobby were taken, I was shown to a room in the basement on the -1 sub floor. The half view out the window was of feet and knees right onto the street and not quiet at all. After asking for a better room, I was given a room with high ceilings and a vent that didn't work. I realized I couldn't open the window. It was so stuffy, the next day I asked for another room change, this time a room with a window that opened. I was given an adequate room on the second floor with a view of a wall but at least I could breath.The carpeting outside my room was dirty, torn and shabby. The closet was narrow half length inadequate for even a single person staying 7 nights.
I cannot understand the many good reviews that I read on trip advisor. Possibly, couples or families get better rooms. The mini bar is good but when you leave your room, the electricity goes off automatically so you cannot leave anything perishable in there and the drinks need time to get cool again after you return.
The 2 computers in the business room didn't work for the week I was there. 1 had a broken keyboard and the other was off line.
the wellness center has a great whirlpool and pretty little pool but I couldn't hang out there for long because the temperature is over 90 degrees and I don't mean the sauna which is in a separate room.
starting a vacation dealing with 3 disappointing rooms is not a good start. For this I paid $230 a night and there are no refunds or cancellations so beware!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were here during Spring break. Misty, rainey, cold. Concierge was great!! He couldn't do enough for us. Room was surprisingly large, high ceilings, ultra-modern bathroom. Beds are wonderfully comfortable. Stay out of the hotel's restaurant if you want to go home with any of your money. Breakfast does not come with the room. There are several nice places to eat across the street from the railroad Grand Station which is just in front of the hotel. Hotel is centrally located - within easy distance of canals for romantic, night time, arm-in-arm stroll.. Glistening lights reflecting off water in canal. Wonderful ambiance. Wonderful memories!

Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
South Sudan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I got a great deal on the Amrath through Hotwire. Travel quite a lot and this is one of the nicer hotels I've stayed at. It is housed in a lovely old shipping building, so the set up is a bit unconventional, with no lobby as others have noted. My room had high ceilings and the whole place was very quiet- never heard another guest from in my room. Free minibar a nice touch. Staff was friendly and helpful. Great shower and bath.

Location in Amsterdam depends a lot on what you want to do and the atmosphere you are looking for. I usually prefer Leidseplein, but this was a good spot too- very close to central station and the busy shopping areas and RLD, without being actually within all that.

All in all a great base for a few days in Amsterdam, would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!