“Couldn't find a fault” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #53 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Couldn't find a fault”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel for only one night this month and struggled extremely to motivate ourselves to leave. I've never felt the urge to write a review on a hotel however after leaving my expensive earrings behind after leaving Amsterdam we rang the hotel to locate them in the room. They confirmed they had these and would post these to my home address in England which I received 3 days after departure, I therefore feel I owe the hotel staff my greatest thanks and appreciation for the safe return. Upon arrival all the staff were extremely helpful, speedy check in, bags carried to our room, informed of the room facilities and left to enjoy. The room was lovely, huge high window, clean and tidy, nice little luxuries and free mini bar stocked with more than enough for us both. I can't express how comfy the bed was, we struggled to tear ourselves away but with only one night in Amsterdam we had to explore. It was a wonderful nights sleep. Check out time is better than most hotels being at noon rather than 10 or 11 like others. Check out was quick, everyone was helpful and they allowed us to leave our luggage at the hotel until later on in the day when our train was due. The location of the hotel is perfect, just far enough out that your not in the centre of all the noise but close enough to walk to the bars/shops/cafes and train station. I owe a big big thank you to Anneroos for the email reply regarding my earrings and sending them safely back to me. I will definately be returning to this hotel next year and have even been looking at finding the best price already even though we only checked out 4 days ago.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a great hotel. I will start with the bad, but I have makes down for it to much for it.
I wasn't a fan of the pillows. Not my taste, but I'm sure others will love them. I read reviews saying this was a very clean hotel, so I put it to the test. Any hotel and clean the floor, bathroom and change towels etc. not every hotel cleans rooms fully. First I tested top of pictures and found dust. Then on top of the cupboard. A lot more dust. Sorry guys, but the dust there meant it hadn't been cleaned for a month or so.
We didn't eat at the hotel due to the prices so I don't know about the food. A friend had a drink at the bar and drinks there are triple the prices of bars 100 metre away. They take €100 before you stay which i was surprised about. They give it back when your stay is finished. When booking this hotel, maybe a warning. They took the city tax off the refund at the end.

Now the good. Staff where amazing to us. The only bad thing I found was that the 'bell boys' were more polite and friendly than the rest of the staff. If they happened to see you, they opened the door and asked if you any help or if everything is ok. A cleaning guy offered and started backing out of a lift so we could go in it!!!!!! (We let him carry on with his work). Mini bar was great and free. Bathroom was clean, but maybe not a clear/see though glass door.

Reminders for travellers to the hotel.

There's working going on on the outside of this hotel on one side. Building is going on 90 years old.
The lights are quite dim and the decor is wooden and dark. With red carpet, but remember this is within keeping with the 1920s look and charm of this amazing looking building. Be carefully if you have not so good eyesite!!!!
Go up the main staircase and look up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not many places to park and if you do, there are costs. You can walk or take the tram anywhere. 30minutes and your across the old city centre.
They charge you €100 when you turn up to stay and will refund minus the city tax at the end.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandbach Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for the weekend had a fantastic time absolutely brilliant hotel the room was very spacious we had a superior room free mini bar! it was spotless very clean one of the best nights sleep I ever had in a hotel. The swimming pool and leisure facilities were all very good the hotel staff were very polite but watch out for the tourist tax when you check out!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so you can look over Amsterdam..
Winnipeg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Our stay at the Grand Hotel Amrath was the worst experience during our European trip.
ROOM;:
Our confirmnation read "1 Deluxe room". This turned our to be a dimly lit room with one small narrow window at ground level (called "sub-terrain" or in our words "sub-basement" because part of the room is BELOW ground.) This is not what I would expect of a "deluxe" room category. Also, photos on the internet showed a much nicer room under the "deluxe" heading.
There is a small closet and two tiny night stands with NO drawers. We did not have any place to put articles of clothing, etc. ---- everything was pretty well stored in our luggage; one suitcase on a luggage rack; the other case flat on the floor.

VIEW;
Our view consisted of an expandable ladder and a huge bright green piece of construction equipment plus the back bumpers of cars. At times there were workers walking nearby. Even without this, the view leaves much to be desired ------ a sidewalk, poor landscaping and the bumpers of cars. This window is about five feet away from the bed. At night we could hear noises outside the window.

LIGHTING;
The room is dimly lit, especially on an overcast day because very littlle light comes in through the
narrow window. In order to write wome postcards, I had to lay the desk lamp on its side to get sufficient light. The bulbs are very small and low wattage.

TOWELS & ROBES;
We had only large bath towels but no small hand towels and no face cloths. We requested these and they were delivered but the remaining days we did not get them. We tried to make do with the huge bath towels. A robe was taken from the bathroom but never replaced (we didn't want to be charged for a "missing" robe so we advised the appropriate staff.

SERVICE:
Terrible. A light bulb on a wall fixture was burned out when we artrived in the room. After several requests to have it replaced, it was finally done on the third day. That corner of the room is dark even with the fixture working.
Hot Tub / Jacuzzi: This is an above-ground tub ----- you have to climb up a steel ladder to get into it and getting out is a little difficult. The worst thing is the temperature of the water was "lukewarm". In spite of several requests, it was never fixed during our entire stay.

BREAKFAST; Overpriced at 25 euros (approx $33 - 35 USD)

ROOM CHANGE;
The day before we checked out, we were offered a different room which was really very nice. Unfortunately, we were only in it for a short time in the evening since we were checking out early the next morning.

HOUSEKEEPING;
THIS IS SOMETHING THAT CONCERNS US. We hastily packed to move from our original room to the better room offered us. The room, as I said, was dark especially being cloudy outside. I obviously did not notice my brand new,expensive travel outfit had falllen on the floor from the armchair where I had placed it. The next day, we took a taxi from the hotel directly to the cruise ship. When I unpacked my luggage, the travel outfit was not there. We immediately contacted the hotel, and then went there personally to get the article of clothing. We were told it was NOT there. This was a combination short/skirt outfit ---- it is not like a jacket or sweater that a person would leave somewhere. So, I could not have lost it while wearing it ---- I'd be in my "briefs" .
Housekeeping either did not turn the article in to Lost & Found ---- or, the only other scenario is that Housekeeping missed seeing it on the floor beside the chair when they cleaned the room ----and the next occupants in that room found it and either kept it or discarded it. In any case, the travel outfit was DEFINITELY LEFT IN THE ROOM ----- and Housekeeping should be held accountable. It is a costly item and I have not been able to replace it.

CONCLUSION;
This was a dreadful experience. 'The room was awful and the service was terrible. There are better rooms in this hotel but YOU could get stuck in one of these rooms. Hopefully, the hot tub is now operating efficiently.

We must say Anneroos, Front Office Supervisor, extended apologies to us --- but it was just too many unpleasant things (some of which we didn't even mention in this review) to give this hotel a higher rating. Our stay in Amsterdam could have been much more enjoyable without this entire experience.

Room Tip: Don't accept a sub-terrain room (Rm 009 is one of them)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We had a Superior Deluxe room. Very clean hotel and room. Very big room with high ceiling, bed and pillow VERY comfortable, very good night sleep. Quiet. Tea and coffee. Minibar was free. Big bathroom with nice product (very nice shampoo and conditioner, it's a detail, but usually those product in hotel are cheap, those one were great !!).

The wifi was on and off. We had to complain more than once before someone does something that finally work.

You'll get the comfort of a 5 star but it's not very modern. The elevator was a bit slow.

Very good location !!! 5 min walk to the train station and the tourist information. 5 min to the departure of the dinner-cruise, which you should try, it's so beautiful and the food was good ! (The companie was Holland International).

From or to the airport, the best way is by train, just make sure you get on the right train !...

Room Tip: I'm not sure what is the difference between the Superior room and the Superior Deluxe room... We...
Forres
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were able to go to this hotel because we got a stunning deal from Aberdeen. The Amrath Amsterdam is the company's flagship hotel and strives to maintain the highest standards. It is the most beautiful early 20th century Amsterdam School building - originally the HQ of 12 different shipping companies. The maritime theme is everywhere. The size of the hotel makes it a bit of a rabbit warren and it was easy to get lost at first but we were taken to our room the first time by a very informative member of staff.
All the members of staff I spoke too were proud of the hotel and anxious to make our stay as interesting as possible. We were encouraged to tour the different floors to take in the interior decorative elements which emphasised the wealth of the various shipping companies. Don't forget to go up on to the roof. The lead work is astounding. Great views too!
The beds were super comfortable and the room was huge with 4m ceilings. We were kept supplied with a complimentary minibar, coffee capsules and toiletries.
The weather was rather wet so twice we chose to eat in the hotel's Seven Seas restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious and it was possible to choose a 2, 3 or 4 course menu as well as a la carte. Our waiters were charming and attentive and once again, informative.
We used the Wellness Centre and while the pool was quite small it was warm and there was plenty of room to get the lengths in.
The hotel's proximity to the station and to public transport was one of the reasons I chose it and I would love to back again sometime.

Room Tip: We had room 120 overlooking a side street which was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Eccleshall, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed there this weekend for 3nights, having stayed at top hotels around the world I would say that this one was just ok, yes it has its 5 stars and yes the staff were pleasant and the room was ok but it seemed to lack atmosphere and grandeur, given its exterior appearance! Lack of off road pull in for vehicles put me off, you need to pull up in a waiting bay on the side of the main road which is a little worrying when buses are hurtling past, the entrance needs a bit more of a grand approach to make it feel like you have arrived rather than sneaking through a tradesmans entrance.
The room was ok, very comfortable bed, clean tidy, shame the bed was positioned too close to the window only leaving about 6" to get out of bed and no bed side cabinet so the radiator had to be used instead, air con seemed a bit feeble, bathroom was nice, nice touch with the twin shower heads.
Didn't try the food, eat out at local resturants, breakfast just around the corner very good indeed.
Would I return, probably not as there are other hotels I would try, but the location is superb for the night life.