“Charming Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 108, 1011 AK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Ranked #43 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Charming Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I stayed few days at the Grand Amrâth and have to say that when I entered in the lobby I was a bit surprised by how old fashioned it looked.
Nonetheless I was warmly welcomed and invited to proceed to the check-in in a stylish wooden style room. The staff was nice and professional, it took a bit of time (5-10 min) to check in as it was the first day for the receptionist who was in charge of my case, but she was assisted by her colleagues and all of them were kind so it was no hassle.

The hotel itself is decorated with warm colour which make you feel like being welcomed from home. At first, it might seem to be like a labyrinth but you quickly get used to the long curved corridors. There are a night club, a swimming-pool, a fitness center and a spa in the basement of the building. I only made use of the fitness center, I should rather say fitness room as there were only 5 or 6 training machines but I never saw anybody else than me using them during the few hours I was there (~2 hours a day) so I didn't feel constrained at all. There are also a bar and a restaurant on the ground floor but I didn't try any of them.

Now, about the room itself, I stayed in a deluxe room on the 4th floor. It had very high ceiling and was of decent size (~25m2), with two armchairs a very big bed (210cm length) and all the usual features that an hotel of this category provides (a shower and a separate tub, nespresso machine, slippers, safety deposit box, umbrella, trouser press...) but one point important to mention is the mini bar which is already included in the room rate (refilled once a day). The room was really quiet, the mattress extremely comfortable, and the tub large enough to indulge yourself with a relaxing bath without feeling tight like in many other hotels I have been to.

Compared to the Hilton and Marriott hotels in Amsterdam, I would say that the Grand Amrâth is the most convenient one if you need to get to the airport of the train station and its architecture is far more charming than the others. Nonetheless it lacks the modernism of the Marriott (inside not the facade of the Marriott which seems like a council estate) and the luxurious facilities of the Hilton (lobby, private pier, bar with outside seats and garden, but not the rooms which I personally think would need some refurbishment, the Amrâth ones have higher standards) . Then it is a question of what are your priorities.

If you like authenticity, old-fashioned style, and want to be 5min walk away from the train station, the Grand Amrâth is the hotel I would suggest you to pick up! It is not a small hotel but you feel like being in a boutique hotel and the staff is really very attentive, it was a pleasure to chat with the one I met.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

2,033 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

I looked at a bunch of hotels in Amsterdam and we were so happy we went with this one. We spent 10 days in Paris before taking the train to Amsterdam. It was very easy walking from the station to the hotel and we were thrilled to see the size of this room - it was huge! The entire hotel is fascinating - it may look quite dark and gothic but the interior is actually very spacious and the architecture is so unique. Everything in the room was perfect - lovely view of the canal, huge high ceilings, huge tub in the bathroom, free mini bar, and endless attention to detail like umbrellas that you can borrow for the frequent Amsterdam rain. We only stayed two night, wish we had more. There was also a really cool spa and pool that we didn't manage to use, so don't forget your swimsuit.

It was a truly relaxing stay and such a memorable place. So stop looking at other hotels and book this now!! Of all the hotels we stayed in during that trip we keep coming back to this one and hoping we can return again soon.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Stylish, attention to detail and free mini bar! This place was great! I had a complimentary espresso machine with coffee pods by Nespresso. The décor was magnificent and the pool area in the basement with the simulated stars was really nice! The location is near the train station, so coming and going was easy from the airport. Just a quick walk across the street and that was it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Loved it! Loved the beautiful building! Location is perfect! Right by gorgeaous Train Station, by canal, a few steps away from Damrack. I liked my huge, very large, brand new room, huge bathroom, great king size bed with 6 pillows. FREE internet (HIlton and Krasnopolsky charged me for that!) FREE bar (bunch of drinks from beer, to whisky, all free). Honestly, when I will come back, that's where I will stay! I liked my room so much better than in Krasnopolsky and Hilton. It was soo large, such a high cellings, just the best! Place to stay and enjoy Amsterdam for sure!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This is an impressive property. A former Mercantile building, the hotel retained many of the charming details that made it an impressive building in its day. You should definitely stroll around, it's worth it. The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The minibar was complimentary, which is always nice. We ate in the dining room on the last night and found the food to be very good.

Room Tip: Free Wi-Fi and mini bar, how can you lose?
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle Upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed in the Amrath recently when visiting Amsterdam. What a fabulous hotel, we were not disappointed! The reception staff were more than friendly. The spa is so relaxing to come back to after a long day shopping! The rooms are very modern with everything you need. There is a big difference between the standard rooms and the superior rooms, they are much bigger. The bathrooms are modern with powerful showers and big baths. We would definitely return!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
san diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Pros:
Nice, clean room, free minibar!, the building has lots of character, free wifi, walking distance to dam square, very quiet room

Cons:
It's tucked away in an area that I wouldn't want to stay in again, not bad, just not as comfortable.connected as other parts of the city we saw
When we first arrived there was no help with luggage, or getting up the stairs to the lobby
We arrived a little early and were told our room was not available. No biggie, except the young staff kept discussing the matter back and forth in front of us in Dutch and looking us over as if to decide if we deserved it. A very rookie move for a supposed 5-star hotel. The feeling wasn't one of "How can we help?" which was a little off putting.

Net, net
For my first visit to Amsterdam, it was a good value. I'd only stay here again if it was considerably cheaper than something comparable in a better location

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam? Share your experiences!