“Pretty bad place for a single female traveler” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Old Nickel

You added Old Nickel to your Saves list
Old Nickel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Brugsteeg 11, 1012 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #223 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
Contoocook, NH, United States
“Pretty bad place for a single female traveler”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Take it from a lifelong housewife, this was NOT a clean hotel! It looked like the bottom sheet of my single bed had been slept on and fortunately there were some clean sheets in the closet, so I changed them myself. The location was very good, but otherwise, I stayed out of my hotel room as much as possible. The stairs are extremely steep and difficult even with a small bag. The TV way up in the corner of the teensy room didn't work either. I would not recommend this hotel unless the alternative is sleeping on the floor of the train station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

My room was on a very high floor with NO heating and it was -3 (November)
I caught a cold and my trip was ruined.
I did report the lack of heating to the staff and was told the maintenance guy was not there that week.
The cleaners must not have been there also as was very dirty.
Carpet did not cover whole floor and ceiling had many cobwebs.
Only thing pleasant was the friendly cat in reception.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Is Central that is the only positive think.
The price is very expensive for what they offering Breakfast very basic
And the room was very run down and not clean is not an hotel and neather a bed and breakfast

Room Tip: Don't sleep number 5 is at the on the road impossible sleeping
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I stayed at the old nickel back in October with 3 friends. I am used to staying in luxury hotels in the UK and although the old Nickel is not luxurious it is excellent value for what we paid and I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone who wants a cheap break/hotel in the centre Amsterdam.

We stayed in a bedroom for 4, with 4 single beds. The room itself was a decent size and clean along with clean(but old and warn) bedding and towels.

The staff were very welcoming and the bar/reception looked like that of a old English country pub!

The stairs up to the bedrooms where very steep and hard to climb when drunk! I would not recommended this hotel for anyone with difficulty climbing stairs as there was no lift!

The showers and toilets were shared but where very clean.

All in all a recommended hotel and good value for money.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor, there was 4 floors and climbing to the second was a challenge!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Great location, best value accommodation in the area. The staff were friendly and the bar was great at night. No thrills or luxuries but for a budget option, to lay your head down, it was ideal. Amsterdam is awesome.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with friends at the beginning of November, 2013. The location is perfect, very close to the station and very central.

We had mixed feelings about our room. The beds seemed clean, although the carpet was pretty dirty, it definitely needed some vacuuming, and it also had stains on it. The bed lights didn't work (none of the three). Our view was on a small roof, which had garbage all over it (beer cans, cigarettes, socks, you name it). So if we opened the window, all we saw was this garbage, and nothing else. At night it was very cold, as we noticed the heating was on only a few hours a day, and the windows weren't insulated at all.

We could NOT find a way to lock the windows. Anyone on the roof could have come in and take our stuff. What we did was lock all of our bags in the small closet and took the key when we went out. We did not complain because we felt they would do nothing about it.

There is only one toilet and bathroom on a floor, and it always seemed occupied, so it can get a little crowded. The shower can't be adjusted and it's pointed straight to the wall, which makes it difficult to wash every body part properly. Both the shower and the toilet looked very clean.

Customer service was barely acceptable. I made our booking well in advance (about 2 months). Weeks before the trip, they notified us that my credit card didn't work, which was true, since it's got stolen a few days before. I gave them the details of my new credit card, so they can authorize it, but instead of connecting the new information with my existing booking, they canceled the booking, and I was forced to make a new one, with a significantly higher price. I asked that they match the price of the previous booking in email, but they completely ignored my request in their reply. When I asked the same in person, at check-in, they refused to reimburse us.

There also were two nights when we got home around 1 at night, and a local band was playing at the bar, exactly in the front of the door where we could go to our room. There were a lot of people, so we could not get to the bar to get help. We had to wait a good 10-15 minutes to get noticed each time this happened. This can get pretty frustrating if you just got home after a long day in the city.

Overall, the place wasn't bad, but the cancellation of our previous booking didn't set us off on the right foot, and we didn't particularly like the place. It should be okay for younger people and backpakers, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has higher standards.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Old Nickel? Share your experiences!