“As below” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Old Nickel

You added Old Nickel to your Saves list
Old Nickel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nieuwe Brugsteeg 11, 1012 AG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))   |
Ranked #239 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“As below”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Service was very sweet, bar downstairs is really a warm place, the room was very small but did not expect more for the price, though it could easily be upgraded by changing blankets, sheets, curtains (olds stains + holes), also it's pretty noisy and the window view is disgusting (roof with what seems likre garbage + cigarette buts)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
manvel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had the misfortune of staying here 2-nights. The room (we thought was a no smoking room) reeked of heavy cigarette smoke. The bed spreads were visibly soiled and we were told had not been cleaned in 3-weeks. The entire room looked like it had not had a real cleaning in recent times. The bed linens,bathroom and shower were clean. The real problem came down to the noise and partying that was tolerated in this so called hotel. It seems the management doesn't care what you do in your room. If you enjoy heavy cigarette and marijuana smoke,lots of loud partying till 5 am, then you will love this place. One idiot smoked up the floor which set off the smoke alarm at 4 am,causing everyone to vacate the building. We packed up our stuff and headed to the airport 6 hours before our flight. The only bright spot was breakfast. The morning guy cooked a 5-star omelet. IThis place was one step shy of being a dope house,not a hotel where one can rest or sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Terrible from the outset.

"hotel" is an inaccurate description.
It is merely a bar that has beds upstairs.

No proper facilities whatsoever. No reception- just a dark and cheap looking pub. Couldn't check in on arrival as we had to wait for them to stop serving at the bar. Card service was not working, even though we were told we could pay by card. Had to leave and find an ATM and return. (this seems to be a recurring problem in the reviews- so I don't think they have ever fixed it!- much like everything else that is worn/broken in the "hotel")

Do not use this hotel if you have any suitcase. We were put up to the very top of the building four or five stories up with NO lift. Stairs were old, creaky and worn. The entire building is not looked after.

The rooms are too small, unclean and piping hot, even though there was no heating on. A communal bathroom and shower is shared between 5/6 rooms, yet so small that it was evidently once a cupboard/wardrobe.

Beds are old with worn mattresses. The room gave the impression that it was not cleaned properly between stays. I felt so uncomfortable that I slept on top of the bed, not in the sheets, in my clothes and used a back pack as a pillow.

Zero facilities. Room only had bed, sink and cupboard.

Breakfast was included from 7am, but I had to leave at 6am to get a train. I still had to pay for the breakfast I couldn't have and no alternative was offered.

The most unpleasant stay I have ever had. There are many other places in Amsterdam that are of much better quality than this for the same price.

Do not go here, avoid it at all costs. I have no idea how people on this site can say positive things about this hotel. It's only positive quality is the location and there are many other alternatives in the same location that are far better than this.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I booked 2 triple rooms for may 15 for 1 night.the booking was 2 weeks prior to the Europa league final on may 15.i paid 198 for same.
A week beforehand booking.com contacted me to say the credit card details were invalid.
I knew this wasn't correct so
I called the old nickel and spoke to a lady called Ellen who told me to ring a Chinese lady,presumably the owner.
I did but was told she would get back to me.She didn't .
The next day I rang Ellen again who told me my booking was cancelled and that was that.No chance to clarify the(totally valid)original card details or offer another card!!
I told her I was disgusted and she said there were "new owners of the old nickel and she was getting "a lot of this stuff"!!
These people are rip off merchants who decided to sell the rooms on for a much higher price because the final was taking place and didn't give a damn for the booking I made through booking.com.Be Warned!!!!

Stayed May 2013