“clean, comfortable and very central!” 5 of 5 stars

Amsterdam Cribs B&B
Oude Hoogstraat 7, 1012CD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #127 of 307 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Derry, United Kingdom
“clean, comfortable and very central!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

girlfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights and it was perfect. the location of the hostel is at the foot of the red night and just 5 minutes from dam square- very navigatable . theres a supermarket close by too which proved very handy.

word of caution- this isnt a typical hostel with a sign outside the door, a reception or a common area... what we got was literally an ensuite room above a coffee shop. you get front door keys and room keys. try and look up the location before you go and leave your phone number with the guy who runs it or you may get lost finding it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Stayed in White Widow double room.

Positive
- private and secluded
- great location moments from Dam square
- if you smoke you can do so in room. Very nice to chill and watch tv
- mini fridge (this was a real advantage)
- TV and DVD player
- toilet and shower ( small but ok)
- coffee shop right out front.
- small table with 3 seats. Another advantage
- kettle for tea/coffee
- great staff

Negative
- mattress is extremely uncomfortable. You can feel every spring. If you lay on stomach they pinch
your ribs. Really should be changed.
- can be a bit noisy outside because of street but this is not that bad.

Highly recommend 9.5/10

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AmsCribs, Manager at Amsterdam Cribs B&B, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Hi Fyonn,
Thank you so much for your great review and I am glad you had a pleasant stay!!!

I am very sorry about the mattress. I wish you had brought the mattress issue to my attention while you were here so it could have been sorted out. Because of your feed back the mattress has been replaced with a brand new one that does not have box springs.

I hope you come back for another stay in my house soon!!!
-Barbara
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Nestled in a cozy little nook off of the busy Oude Hoogstraat, within walking distance of both Dam Square and Central Station, in the epicenter of Red Light, Amsterdam Cribs B&B is truly one of the hidden gems of Amsterdam. This affordable B&B served as the perfect launching pad for my Amsterdam adventure!

I arrived in Amsterdam on the 7:00 am train from Schiphol and was worried that I wouldn’t be able to check in till later; as is the case for most places. However, my on site host Barbara; was not only graciously hospitable (a truly knowledgeable host, who often led me in the right direction for whatever it was that I was interested in pursuing), but accessible as well. I was cheerfully greeted at the front door, given a clean, private room (equipped with Wi-Fi) with a bird’s eye view to the bustling action of the Red Light District and sent on my way. As I explored the city, it was comforting to know that my home base was minutes away from every major attraction the city had to offer.

If you're looking for cafe's, there are about a dozen within a 5 minute walk; one (Pick Up the Pieces) is right next door. There's a super market in plain sight and most pubs and restaurants are close by. If you're looking for anything specific or have any questions about how to get anywhere, just ask Barbara; that's what I did. All of the museums and cultural attractions are very close as well. The B&B has complimentary maps of the city. You can catch the tram to the station if you need to, but I walked; about 10 minutes on foot. Take a roadie with you and you'll actually be upset that you got there so soon.

Every night when I made my way back home, it was comforting to know that safety was not a concern. Amsterdam Cribs has only one point of entry, only accessible with a key, and each room has its own lock and key as well. Amsterdam shuts down around 1:00 am, for the most part, but I actually enjoyed coming back to my nest every night. After a long day, in the privacy of my own spot, I could post my pics, get in touch with friends and family (Wi-Fi) and open the window to let in the cool summer breeze while I lit up a night cap and recalled the adventures of the day.

I will definitely visit Amsterdam again and I will most definitely be staying at Amsterdam Cribs B&B!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Paid over 130 euros per night for a 4 x 4 metre room very hot, attic room. Climb-up extremely steep ladder/stairs to a room that is very clean but very, very basic. The young lad who met us was totally stoned and was highly annoying; trying to explain to us what he smokes and his daily smoking schedule - like we give damn. We didn't see any breakfast for the three days that we were there, we didn't even know where the klitchen was! So I dont think there is any breakfast. Left my ipod in the room - dont ever expect to see it again. Location is great, rooms are clean other than that not much else positive to say. Try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Attic room is super-hot try and avoid during summer.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I've stayed in the Amsterdam Extreme twice, and I'll probably go back again. The location is great; just a 5 minute walk from Central station, right in the middle of the Red Light District. The kitchen has all the amenities, and there's a grocery store 2 blocks away. Big TV, DVD,nice comfy couches. The staff is very helpful and provided maps of both the city and coffeeshop locations. The wifi has very good speeds.

Room Tip: If it's winter, make sure to turn heater on when you get there.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Went to Amsterdam on the 1st of May to the 4th with a group of 4 lads and had a awesome time, which was made better staying at Amsterdam Cribs. The B&B quite hard to find; after circling the same place for ages, I gave them a call and they were very helpful. The B&B (no breakfast) and it's location was great apart from the bedrooms, which are a bit on the small side, but living room view made it up for it. There are bongs and grinders there for your use and everything was clean too.

All in all I've been Amsterdam 4 times and Amsterdam Cribs has been the best all round, hands down. :-)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed in amsterdam cribs in January 2013. The location is perfect. 5 min walk to red light district and dam square. Also means its easy to get there from the train station. When we arrived there, the owner sat down with us and showed us how to get to everything on a map which was very useful. The room itself and toilet was a adequte size. The room had all the essentials: a safe, bed, tv, dvd player, bongs, grinders, mini fridge and a fan heater. As the room is above a coffeshop and next to a main road, it was loud at times but always had a good nights sleep. The stairs are very steep and quite a challenge to get up, especially after visiting a coffeeshop. One of the great perks was being able to smoke in the room. The coffeshop below the accommodation though tempting as it is so close, doesn't have the best weed. I definately recommend the greenhouse coffeshop which is down the road (Candy kush is the one).

We only paid 180 pounds for 3 nights there, which is sooo cheap compared to other places in that location. I am definately going to stay here again and definately recommend it

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Amsterdam Cribs B&B? Share your experiences!