“Very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel City Garden Amsterdam

You added Hotel City Garden Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel City Garden Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.C. Hooftstraat 162, 1071 CH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #253 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The room was clean and comfortable, the bathroom was also very clean and the breakfast was ample. Ignore the negative reviews. We were also allowed to leave our bags before departing. Very efficient. No complaints.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We booked a twin room, and we got a double instead.
The room was in the basement, but it was OK.
It was clean, large flat screen tv with many channels.
Wifi was good and free.
Noise from street and from above room was laud, but we were able to sleep.
The mattress was way too soft. I needed to remove it and sleep on the base of the bed, that was comfortable (it was hard, but not too hard) My friend didn't mind the mattress.
The breakfast buffet was ok (just scrambled eggs as hot option, no bacon or sausages)
Please note if you choose to prepay (to "save" money), the price does not include breakfast, so you will end up paying more as the money you can "save" is much less than the 10 euro per person the breakfast costs.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Groningen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

At the far-end of the famous P.C. Hooftstraat - famous for upscale shopping - near the Vondelpark is this comfortable and affordable hotel. Clean and unassuming facade doesn't prepare you for the really very nice garden and view in the back
Very efficient check-in in a spacious lobby. I was especailly taken by the equanimity of the friendly man who checked me in in the face of a very rowdy 'weekend' group of others clamoring, all in good jest. He was kind enough to even give me a choice a various rooms with a wink so as to avoid probably too much noise in any adjacent room.
Hotel has lifts/elevators but I used the wide stairs. My room was remarkably large for a hotel of this price in Amsterdam. Large double bed, good and large and well-lit working desk, large window looking out onto the garden and some beautiful 19th-century houses. The bed, though, was too soft for my purpose so I didn't sleep particularly well.
For some the TV might be a bit small, but I don't really watch much so that was no problem.
WiFi is free and functions all right though a bit slow.
Good and immaculately clean bathroom and - although I always use only a sinlgle towel out of eco-principles - towels galore.
Good stay and a pleasant place!

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back on the garden side.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel after reading the reviews. We arrived early and the receptionist let us leave our bags to come back. Then we were given a larger room than we had booked, spotless and bright. It was on the 4th floor and the lift only reaches the third but just a small staircase to our floor. Overall we found it ideal, perfect location to explore especially the museums.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was looking for a nice boutique hotel in Amsterdam that wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. I was so delighted to discover the Hotel Garden City. It's located on a quiet dead end street with high end shops ( Chanel, Hermes, Dior.....) and to the rear is the lovely Vondel Park.

It's within walking distance of some wonderful bakeries, the Ryksmuseum and the old city and canals.

My room was small, but it's Europe, I never expect anything large in Europe, and faced the park. It was a quiet sleep but when awake I had very good wifi service. The front desk was friendly and went out of their way to recommend excellent restaurants and directions.
It was everything I could have wanted and more.

Room Tip: Ask for a Garden View room, but the front rooms are also quiet.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

Hotel is situated in nice place, close to National Museum and Van Gogh Museum.
I stayed in this hotel for one night only.

Well, maybe something good now:
1) I got was a small single room, but it was cozy and with very comfortable bed with fresh linen.
2) Bathroom was also clean and with good quality soap.
3) Breakfast... hmm... nothing special - basic, simple but fresh.

If you don't bother, I would recommend to visit ALBERT HEIJN supermarket, which is quite close to the hotel - for just a few euro you can get very tasty salads, sandwiches and juice pressed directly from fresh oranges!

Now find some bad things about this hotel:
1) First of all - the rule to make a copy of my ID during check-in? what the hell?
I paid by credit card, so I suppose it's sufficient possibility to charge my account?

2) Second thing - 'very nice' welcome card with something like price list inside, so hotel staff inform you in advance, that if you think about to steal, for example, teapot or cup from your room, you will be charged with sky high fee. What the hell...?!

3) Wi-Fi is not working properly - forget to call somebody on Skype.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australie
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2014

This hotel is not gay friendly. This is in a country where gay marriage is legal. My partner and I travelling with a friend booked two rooms. When we arrived the male receptionist seemed confused that we only wanted one bed in one of the rooms! Once this issue had been sorted he then offered us two 'garden' rooms which he said we would find quieter. These rooms were in the basement level and were tiny but they did face out onto a planted area. The bed was horrible, crammed into a corner with a top mattress that kept slipping off. At 5am the next morning, after getting very little sleep, I went to reception and requested we be moved to another room. The receptionist, another male, was obliging and placed us in a room on Level 1. He said the room was not much bigger but that we would notice the difference. This room, which faced the street was slightly bigger but the double bed, pushed up against the window, could only be accessed from one side. Generally the reception staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. The hotel rooms were clean and well maintained but the cleaning staff had no discretion and came into the rooms without knocking on a number of occasions. The hotel is a rabbit warren of rooms and it looks like the owner got greedy and "renovated" to squeeze extra rooms out of every closet, cupboard and crevice. A bit of carpet with a great big spew stain on it in the basement hallway is not a good look and needs to be replaced. Lift your game! Worst hotel experience we've had in Europe, beats some of the shockers in Italy.

Room Tip: All the rooms are too small from 2 people. Don't go there unless you are a single person wanting...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel City Garden Amsterdam? Share your experiences!