“Don't expect too much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel City Garden Amsterdam

You added Hotel City Garden Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel City Garden Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   P.C. Hooftstraat 162, 1071 CH Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #254 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Don't expect too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

I was on business trip last week in may 2014. the hotel is located very good, most of the ways either to the RAI either to the city centre can be reached by foot.
the hotel itself is nice, cosy and clean. equipped with standard furniture and a very soft mattrass you'll enjoy your stay. Internet connection works quiet constantly and fast - no problems with connecting to the company's server. Breakfast was OK - staff was always friendly and warm.
200m footwalk away public transport will bring you to every destination in the city. All in all, good price performance ratio.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

After reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor and elsewhere, I was a bit apprehensive about staying here, however after staying here for a long weekend, I was quite pleased with the place and would stay again.

Our room and bathroom (room 62 on ground floor) were nice, I didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that. The only oddness was that the alarm in our room had been set to 7am on Sunday morning (our second night, no problems the first night), although this May have been caused by a previous guest.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
The Garden Path
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Where do I start ????? This was the only hotel left in Amsterdam that had vacancies at the last minute and I now see why !!!! I was travelling with my elderly father and the holiday was decided upon at the last minute and was a bit of a treat for us both. The hotel decidedly WAS NOT..... Upon arrival after taking a 20 minute tram ride from Central Amsterdam train station we were all hot and bothered and the staff very rude and not very helpful. If you asked the particular person behind the desk that checked us in, I got the impression that questions about any of the tourist attractions/transport/tickets was too much for him and his small brain and it seemed though as customers we were made to feel a nuisance........

We had booked a room with two single beds (twin room) and what we got was an entirely different matter.... Upon opening the door to our room we discovered a room with a double bed (two single beds joined together) and another single bed pushed against the window. There was hardly any space to move. The bathroom was OK but rather small and we had to keep asking for extra toilet roll as the cleaners in the morning did not replenish it as expected.

Be warned this HOTEL HAS NO AIR-CONDITIONING, so even if it gets above about 20 degrees outside the room inside is boiling. The only cooling effort was opening the window right out, then instead you got all the noise from the street....

I found it hard to sleep at night as our room had a street light right outside the window and the noise from the people in the street went on late into the night.

Breakfast was OK, but for the price they ask per room/per night, they should provide a cooked breakfast. After travelling for a few days, the appeal of a luke-warm glass of juice and soggy cereal justs makes you want to skip breakfast and go to the local bakery instead.

The only saving grace was just right at the end of the street is a huge park/garden that everybody visits. My advice, skip breakfast at this hotel and go and have something from one of the cafes in the lovely, big park at the end of the road. Won't be staying at this hotel again. Do yourself a favour and pay a few extra Euros per night and stay somewhere else closer to Amsterdam Central Train Station or closer to the city. Awful, awful, awful hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

City Garden hotel is in a perfect location in Amsterdam. Close to the train station as well as the trolley line, only 15 minutes from the airport. My husband and I stayed here for 3 nighst in a small double room... and it was small, very small. if you stay here for more than 3 nights go to the larger room., We arrived at 7am and thats what was available for that check in time. Rooms were very clean and bright and beds were comfortable, bathroom was very clean and shower was large for Europe. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Breakfast buffet was included in our rate and was worth it, typical European breakfast, very fresh and plentiful. We were on the 3rd floor front of the building , if you are a light sleeper you may want to go to the rear of the building as the hotel in at the end of a park with lots of foot traffic(dead end) almost no cars. Friends stayed in the lower level in a small double , BUT was larger than my room.... No Air Conditioning, small table fan, no screens on the windows... I would recommend for a short stay I do not have any complaints, we were only there to sleep.

Room Tip: light sleeper ask for the back of the building, if you are clostraphobic do not do a small double.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

This hotel is just about ok. We stayed there for 5 nights and the charges were crazy for the quality of the room that they have. There are no air conditioners in the room and you have to open the window which can be noisy! The bathroom was really small and the amenities in the room just basic. The housekeeping staff did a good job of cleaning up every morning but the quality of room itself was not good. I ended up paying close to 180 Euros per night which is exorbitant. The good part of the hotel was that it was a walkable distance to the museums and also that breakfast was served. The breakfast was the same with no change at all and was very basic - bread/toast, croissant, poached egg, boiled egg, cucumber, tomatoes and butter/cheese. The fruit was only one kind and there was plain yogurt. All in all, ok but too expensive....I would only go there again if the prices are sub 80 Euro per night.

Room Tip: Take the rooms to the back as they face the park and have a better view, if at all you have to stay...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Characters: the front desk clerk and myself

Time: 1 a.m. in the morning

We open on an exhausted traveler, who had already been kept awake by the noise of the other hotel guests coming through the paper-thin walls. She is standing in a run-down lobby, which smells faintly of pee.

Me: There is a mouse in my room. It ran into my bag and than ran out along the top of the desk and down the side of the bed.

Clerk: Yes, there are a lot of mice in Amsterdam.

Me: I am not staying in a room with a mouse.

Clerk: It is quite common here. We are near the park and they come in.

Me: No, I am not staying in a room with a mouse.

Clerk: Fine, I will move you to a room in the basement.

Me: Expedia charged me over $350 dollars for this room. This is unacceptable.

Clerk: Shrugs. Take it up with them.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Do not book this place!!!!! When we arrived, we were told that they had overbooked us and they cannot give us an accommodation. Without even an adequate apologise, they put us into a taxi and send us off to another one of their hotel in a less desirable location. Not worth the money and the stress!!! The service is terrible!!!!

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Hotel City Garden Amsterdam? Share your experiences!