“Pot Luck” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Inner Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Inner Amsterdam to your Saves list
Inner Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Wanningstraat 1, 1071 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #131 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
“Pot Luck”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We were first put into room 109. We had asked for a twin room, they were twin beds but pushed together. It didn't matter to us too much but we had asked for separate beds.

Rooms are lovely and clean beds are comfortable. Shower is good with lots of hot water. Room has a TV and lots of electrical points within the room.

The acoustics of the room however were horrendous. On arriving back on Friday night (around 10.30pm) even though the hotel claims to have a strict curfew on noise, there were guests standing outside the hotel until 1am shouting and banging the reception door.

Then the room is right next to the stairs, above reception and the end of the corridor. So it is very, very noisy all the time with late comers to the hotel during the early hours and early bird tourists getting up and hanging around reception chatting. (Which can be heard in room 109 near enough word for word!)

We asked to move rooms and they relocated us up to the 3rd floor. Slight inconvenience as we were unable to get into the room until 2pm and had to be out of our current room at 11am. But understand why with cleaning regimes etc.

Room was so much better, away from corridor, bigger room, beds separated etc. So much better than before. There was some noise during the night by guests but we still got a lot more sleep than the night before.

If they could guarantee another room like 304 I probably would stay again if with friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel gets mixed reviews: this one is for a twin room with en suite shower room on the third floor.
Our room was small and clean with comfortable pillows. The water pressure in the shower was good and the shower cabinet was a good size. The building is old and the decor is faded. The corridor outside the room was narrow and the carpet was very stained.
I think the problem here is the other guests. A group of young adults (10 or 12 of them) sat in the corridor outside our room at 3.30 am one night having a conversation and generally hanging out. I told them to go away and was given a load of cheek from two young women; one of them told me I was not polite (!) and one of them told me I was too old to be staying in a hostel. Sigh. Apart from that the hotel was much much better than expected. Oh and by the way, there were just as many over 30s as under 30s there!
The self-serve breakfast was great - a machine dispensed freshly ground coffee and piping hot water for tea. There were two kinds of meat, cheese, 4 kinds of bread, 2 kinds of cereal, fruit & eggs. No fresh orange juice, but pineapple and 'multivitamin' drinks were available from a dispenser.
The reception desk was manned at least from 7 am to 11pm (don't know about the night time because we weren't down there), and the staff were helpful (not offhand at all). There is a room to leave luggage if you check out but don't fly till later.
We couldn't get wi-fi connection in our room (too far from the hub), but it was fine in the public area downstairs. We didn't turn on the tv or use the hairdryer, so can't comment on them.
To sum up, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Even numbers near 304 are high up and at the back, so probably quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Watford, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel was horrible and filthy, we checked in then changed hotel it was noisy and cost us 100 euros, would never go back, probably alright if you are a backpacker and don't care. the walls were dirty and rusty pipes in the bathroom

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

In terms of locations and what we needed this hostel was perfect, got a bit hot at night but we only used the room for sleeping, staff were helpful. However We returned with a few more passengers than we expected. while the hostel never looked remarkably clean we didnt expect to bring so many bed bugs back with us to the UK. We're all now having to pay money to have them removed fro our homes and dealing with the disgusting bites that have appeared all over our bodies. Would never visit here again, its amazing that such a dirty place is allowed to continue trading with such a horrible level of cleanliness

Room Tip: Dont go unless you like being a meal
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Me and my friend stayed at Inner Amsterdam for 2 nights and it was our first time in Amsterdam.

Upon arrival we was given a map and told about breakfast times and rules etc which was helpful.
The breakfast is cereal and meats like chicken and ham but it is 5 euros, not really worth paying for so we ate out.The people on reception on more than happy to answer any questions you have. Free wifi too.
The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to Leidseplein Square where you can have a drink and a bite to eat.
you can walk (25 mins) or get a tram to Dam square too.
We shared a 6 bed dorm which was bunk beds, it was quite warm in the room but we did have a fan. The cleaners also give us fresh towels and cleaned up whilst we were there.
The hotel is located on a side street which meant it was quiet when you wanted to sleep!

I would defiantly recommend to stay at this hotel as it was clean and in a good location!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My friend and I spent a month traveling Europe this summer. We checked into Inner Amsterdam in early August. This was by far the worst of the six hostels we stayed in. The lobby is really dingy and dusty. There are two computers for guest use; however, with no working Wifi, the computers are always occupied.

CHECK IN: While we were checking into our room, another girl was speaking to one of the employees about getting her room changed. Apparently she was traveling by herself and had been assigned to a double room with a stranger who was male. Naturally she was a bit concerned. I didn't realize how much she was concerned until my friend and I checked into our double room and saw that twin beds are positioned next to each other. I wouldn't want to be essentially sharing a bed with a man I didn't know either!

OUR ROOM/EXPERIENCE ATTEMPTING TO SLEEP: We were given a double room on the 4th floor. It appeared clean-ish and fine. We had our own bathroom, which was nice even though the shower was broken (it still worked). However, the room was really hot. I mean REALLY HOT, like just got into your car after it's been sitting in the sun kind of hot. The employee we checked in with knew it was hot because he was in the room right before we went in... just couldn't believe he/they thought it was inhabitable! Fortunately we had a fan (no A/C, which wouldn't have been needed anyways since it was a chilly night), turned it on and left to get dinner, hoping everything would cool down. BUT since the window was sealed shut, it was impossible to circulate the air in the room so it still was crazy hot. Around 11:30pm, I took a freezing cold shower while my friend propped open the door. Things cooled off a little bit but we didn't want to sleep with the door open so we shut it. I was sweating again after 15 minutes even though the fan was blowing in my face. The worst part was it was cold outside!

TALKING TO STAFF: After 4 hours of unsuccessfully trying to sleep, I ventured downstairs to speak to the night manager to try to explain my situation as nicely as possible and to see if there were bed available elsewhere in the hostel that had windows that could be opened. He said there was no availability. I asked about switching rooms for the remainder of our stay and he said that it was "none of [his] business." So I went upstairs, my friend (still awake) opted to prop our door open (with a space heater - go figure) to see if that cooled down our room at all. It did, I slept for an hour despite having people peer into our room. The next morning we again tried to be super nice and ask about switching but the employee we were speaking to was not nice at all. He did offer another room but he couldn't give us specifics or let us see it. And we would have had to leave our bags with them for a few hours before the room was ready. I did not trust them to take care of my stuff at all. So we decided to LEAVE.

NEW ACCOMMODATIONS: We ended up paying almost the same amount (a little bit more for the last minute booking for one night) to stay a few blocks closer to the museums and city center in a hotel (Apollo Best Western) that was essentially a palace compared to Inner Amsterdam and the nicest place we stayed on our trip. We weren't necessarily looking to stay in really nice places given that we were on a budget, but it was just ridiculous that Inner Amsterdam and this hotel cost basically the same for two people when the latter is just a much better deal.

PROS OF INNER AMSTERDAM: The only pro, besides the nice surrounding area, was that the manager was really nice. We had to wait two days to see him because he only works during the week, but he was very reasonable and generous about refunding us in full for the nights we reserved but didn't stay when technically we didn't meet their cancellation requirements.

Apologies if this sounded like a rant - Amsterdam is a great place and there are simply better places to stay that are in and around the same price range.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Inner Amsterdam? Share your experiences!