“4 days in Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Inner Amsterdam

You added Inner Amsterdam to your Saves list
Inner Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Wanningstraat 1, 1071 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #138 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Me and my friend stayed at Inner Amsterdam for 2 nights and it was our first time in Amsterdam.

Upon arrival we was given a map and told about breakfast times and rules etc which was helpful.
The breakfast is cereal and meats like chicken and ham but it is 5 euros, not really worth paying for so we ate out.The people on reception on more than happy to answer any questions you have. Free wifi too.
The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to Leidseplein Square where you can have a drink and a bite to eat.
you can walk (25 mins) or get a tram to Dam square too.
We shared a 6 bed dorm which was bunk beds, it was quite warm in the room but we did have a fan. The cleaners also give us fresh towels and cleaned up whilst we were there.
The hotel is located on a side street which meant it was quiet when you wanted to sleep!

I would defiantly recommend to stay at this hotel as it was clean and in a good location!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My friend and I spent a month traveling Europe this summer. We checked into Inner Amsterdam in early August. This was by far the worst of the six hostels we stayed in. The lobby is really dingy and dusty. There are two computers for guest use; however, with no working Wifi, the computers are always occupied.

CHECK IN: While we were checking into our room, another girl was speaking to one of the employees about getting her room changed. Apparently she was traveling by herself and had been assigned to a double room with a stranger who was male. Naturally she was a bit concerned. I didn't realize how much she was concerned until my friend and I checked into our double room and saw that twin beds are positioned next to each other. I wouldn't want to be essentially sharing a bed with a man I didn't know either!

OUR ROOM/EXPERIENCE ATTEMPTING TO SLEEP: We were given a double room on the 4th floor. It appeared clean-ish and fine. We had our own bathroom, which was nice even though the shower was broken (it still worked). However, the room was really hot. I mean REALLY HOT, like just got into your car after it's been sitting in the sun kind of hot. The employee we checked in with knew it was hot because he was in the room right before we went in... just couldn't believe he/they thought it was inhabitable! Fortunately we had a fan (no A/C, which wouldn't have been needed anyways since it was a chilly night), turned it on and left to get dinner, hoping everything would cool down. BUT since the window was sealed shut, it was impossible to circulate the air in the room so it still was crazy hot. Around 11:30pm, I took a freezing cold shower while my friend propped open the door. Things cooled off a little bit but we didn't want to sleep with the door open so we shut it. I was sweating again after 15 minutes even though the fan was blowing in my face. The worst part was it was cold outside!

TALKING TO STAFF: After 4 hours of unsuccessfully trying to sleep, I ventured downstairs to speak to the night manager to try to explain my situation as nicely as possible and to see if there were bed available elsewhere in the hostel that had windows that could be opened. He said there was no availability. I asked about switching rooms for the remainder of our stay and he said that it was "none of [his] business." So I went upstairs, my friend (still awake) opted to prop our door open (with a space heater - go figure) to see if that cooled down our room at all. It did, I slept for an hour despite having people peer into our room. The next morning we again tried to be super nice and ask about switching but the employee we were speaking to was not nice at all. He did offer another room but he couldn't give us specifics or let us see it. And we would have had to leave our bags with them for a few hours before the room was ready. I did not trust them to take care of my stuff at all. So we decided to LEAVE.

NEW ACCOMMODATIONS: We ended up paying almost the same amount (a little bit more for the last minute booking for one night) to stay a few blocks closer to the museums and city center in a hotel (Apollo Best Western) that was essentially a palace compared to Inner Amsterdam and the nicest place we stayed on our trip. We weren't necessarily looking to stay in really nice places given that we were on a budget, but it was just ridiculous that Inner Amsterdam and this hotel cost basically the same for two people when the latter is just a much better deal.

PROS OF INNER AMSTERDAM: The only pro, besides the nice surrounding area, was that the manager was really nice. We had to wait two days to see him because he only works during the week, but he was very reasonable and generous about refunding us in full for the nights we reserved but didn't stay when technically we didn't meet their cancellation requirements.

Apologies if this sounded like a rant - Amsterdam is a great place and there are simply better places to stay that are in and around the same price range.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was my first time in the city so I can't compare it to other places to stay. However it was one of the cheapest, and it wasn't clean but it wasn't dirty either. Had our sheets/fresh towels changed once in 4 days (it was very warm and sunny, and therefore our room was smelly in no time - not great)
Price and location made this hotel/hostel worth the 3 star review. The location was brilliant.
Wifi was poor, only works in the 'bar' area downstairs. We were on the first floor and the wifi didn't work. And you share a toilet with everyone on the same floor.. with the toilet roll rarely being changed. Not good.

Room Tip: First floor. We stayed in room 118 with two bunk beds for the 4 of us. Toilet is literally right f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

After a whack around Amsterdam, you want good bed and a decent atmosphere to dwell the night off and Inner Amsterdam was the right place to do it. The surrounding was clean and welcoming and big bathroom to shower and dry off.

Poor lounge area and wifi connection is unstable and only in the lobby. Only 2 power sockets to charge your equipment makes it inconvenient

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Friston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Combine what I am about to write with Mr G`s feedback, and you`ll get the picture: grotty, shabby, potentially a fire hazard, and very smelly mouldy shower and forever flushing toilet....all night long.
Sticky, dirty carpets, couldn`t-care-less staff ( I asked for alternatives for breakfast I had paid for/included in the booking price, and got shrugged shoulders and directions to the local supermarket to buy my own!) The four storey building was being repaired, and there were literally electric cables hanging/plugged into one socket, obscuring the stairs, and in front of the lift door, whilst building work was going on. The room was very small with two lumpy twin beds, and fusty linen, and an ensuite with a smelly shower, albeit a working one, and a toilet that never stopped flushing.....It`s a youth hostel for well..... youths, and beer and dope were the pervading smells: horrid. Location good for museums, trams and access to some nice cafes and bistros, but don`t stay here if you like normal standards for your accommodation on a city break: this will disappoint BIG TIME. BTW, Amsterdam is fab!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

It is in the museum quarter.ideal for a cultural visit. It is in a quiet area, ideal for a good night's sleep.
However, the room I had as stiflingly hot, there was no ventialtion (the windows did not open), the smell fro the bathroom was unbearable and the fan provided served only to spread the heat and the smell.
Students and yongsters ran around the place with noisy abandon and the staff spent all their time surfing the Internet. I asked them for tickets to a museum and they charged me twice the amount. (Under 18 free).
This was the worst 'hotel' (more like a doss-house) that I have ever known.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Inner Amsterdam? Share your experiences!