“Natura & Metropolitan” 5 of 5 stars
Review of WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam

You added WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Spaarndammerdijk 302, 1013 ZX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #55 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sanremo
“Natura & Metropolitan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

It's a bit off, but if you like to walk, or bike, a a wonderful path in the park takes to town center in 20 minutes.
shops are at 10 mins walk

from/to airport get at Station Sloteerdijk

free use of public swimming pool (open)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The good:
1. Great wifi connection all throughout the hotel and it's free
2. It's an easy ride to/from the airport. Take the train to Sloterdijk railway station (I paid 4 euros one way). Sloterdijk is the second stop from the airport. Then take bus #48 (I paid 7 euros for an all day pass). The hotel bus stop is called Hempoint, it's in front of the hotel.
3. Restaurant at the hotel
4. Reasonably sized room
5. Outdoor swimming pool

The bad:
1. Around 11:30pm on my first night here, two men (strangers) almost walked in my room. Apparently, the person who checked them in thought my room was vacant based on their system and gave them my room. From my room, I could hear them walking in the hallway. Thankfully, I was still partly awake so when I heard my door opened, I immediately yelled at them and told them someone is already in the room! These guys were really apologetic. They were really shocked too. I immediately called the reception desk and told them what happened. The person was apologetic but this is something the hotel should really be careful about! Few hours before this happened, I called to complain about the fridge not working in the room and they helped me with it. So clearly, their records should have shown that my room was already occupied. That night, I couldn't sleep. Security is very important to me, especially as a solo traveler. I have been to many hotels, from posh to dingy, and this is the first time this happened to me.

2. Spoons were dirty. Housekeeping did not do their job right.

3. There is no sink in the toilet area to wash your hands. It's on the other side of the room, in the bathroom. I had to cross the room to get there.

4. One Sunday, I waited about 40 minutes for bus #48 from Centraal Station. Then took 15 minutes to get to the hotel. So this is something to think about. While the bus takes about 15 minutes to get to Centraal station, you need to factor in the wait time

5. Food is a little expensive at this hotel and they were just OK

6. You can hear people and doors opening and shutting.

7. Customer service just wasn't there. The waiters at the restaurant though were very nice and respectful.

I will not be returning at this hotel when I'm in Amsterdam. Not only I didn't feel secure, it is a little away from main attractions.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Early check in, very comfortable beds, friendly staff, beautiful artwork everywhere. Worth every penny! Next time I come to Amsterdam this is the place I will stay. Public pool right behind the hotel, with guest access makes it even better.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
N.E. England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We drove up from Bruges to visit Amsterdam and needed a hotel with parking facilities nearby - this was perfectly located, a few minutes from the ring road with secure underground parking, albeit at a price (but parking is costly throughout Amsterdam). Why on earth the previous reviewer paid 23 euros per trip for a taxi into the centre is beyond me. The 48 bus stops right outside the hotel and takes 6-7 minutes to reach the central station. From there its an easy walk or one of the many trams into the different central districts. A four day pass for all trams and buses is available for the cost of one taxi ride. At no point over the 4 days did we have to wait longer than 10 minutes and usually less than 5 so this was an excellent choice.

For the price of the room, the quality and the laid back atmosphere in a city where very average hotels charge exorbitant rates, this is excellent value for money. The staff were pleasant and helpful. We would happily return.

It has 2 outdoor pools alongside, provides surprisingly good food in the Bistro and has clean and comfortable rooms. We experienced no problems with noise, cleaning or anything else mentioned in earlier reviews so must assume that they were simply unlucky.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We choose this hotel because we needed parking. The parking is a bit expensive though, € 22.50 per night. It takes 10 min by bus to get to the city center by bus. The bus stops right outside the hotel, and runs every 10 min on week days, every 15 min on week ends. The room was ok, but the beds were really hard and uncomfortable. You could also hear every door closing in the hall way etc.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I don't want to be a reviewer that posts a review based on personal opinion and telling everyone to avoid etc.. I will state exactly what I experienced and give the facts (good & Bad) for you to make your own mind up.

Me and my partner were part of a larger group. The price of the hotel is reasonable however the location does let it down because what you save in room rates you make up for in Taxi with an average cost of 23euro per trip into the City centre. That is not a bad point as to book the hotel you must already be aware of the location, it's just meant purely to say it's maybe worth spending a little extra to be more central as the savings in taxi fares would offset the extra hotel costs.

The actual hotel itself impressed us all as we expected a lot worse giving what we paid. To compare the rooms I would liken them to the Premier Inn rooms if you have ever stayed in those.

Good points:
* Clean hotel
* Great food
* Good facilities including two large swimming pools (we didn't use them so cannot comment on the water quality/temperature)
* Clean rooms
* Great art detail throughout

To summarise we couldn't really fault the hotel itself. However all of the bad points come from service:

Bad Points:
* The first small issue encountered was the room card not working after day one. The lifts are activated with the passes. We went in the lift following other guests. Only to discover our pass stopped working when we were on our floor. We then had to go down the stairs to reception to reactivate them only to trail back up.

* The cleaner left a cleaning product top and a used cloth in the bathroom (again trivial and prob a one off but I want to list everything).

* We ordered food the first morning as the full group and the service was painfully slow. A party member had to actually go to the staff to ask if they would servce us. The staff need to pay more attention to who is awaiting service and tend to them.

* me and my partner dined alone the following morning @12:00. Firstly we went to greet the group outside in the sunny terrace to say good morning ans that we will dine inside. On our return back into the hotel the male staff member was closing the door which we came through. He told my patner there was another door around the corner. When asked is he expects us to walk all of the way around when there is clearly this entrance. To which he relunctanly allowed us back through.

* When we did sit to eat the service gradually ground to a halt. Initially we asked for orange juice to be told "Sorry the juice dispenser is being washed", what kind of bar cannot serve orange juice @12:00?? After eating we asked for the dessert menu. The waitress never returned for over 30 minutes and when she did she brought the bill without being asked for it and without asking us if we actually wanted to order a dessert. She placed the bill on the table and walked off quickly without us having a chance to even speak needless to say we skipped dessert as we had a plane to catch and at that level of service were doubtful we would make it if we had to wait as long for dessert. We wanted to rejoin the group and we waited over an hour for her to actually take the payment. My partner finally gave up and went and asked her to take payment. She was she would be over with the card machine soon. Over another 30 minutes passed and only when we got up and joined the group and took the bill with us did she show for payment. All of this was whilst she was standing at the bar talking to their colleagues and also when there were hardly any guests sitting down so it's hardly because they were too busy.

* Another issue was for the friend who did the booking. Upon checking out it turned out they have made a mistake with the booking and hadn't talken payment for 5 of the rooms. It took them over an hour to sort that out.

This is a great hotel as in the building, rooms and the layout. It is seriously let down by the very ignorant staff who do not seem to care about people awaiting service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My wife and I have just come home from Amsterdam today and WestCord Art Hotel was everything we expected...and more. Beds are great and very comfortable, staff is helpful in any possible way, the hotel is beautiful, and that water with lime and mint on the reception desk is also a nice touch:) All in all, when we come to Amsterdam we will be in the same hotel again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!