“Enjoyed our stay - DO NOT get a taxi to hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Spaarndammerdijk 302, 1013 ZX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #55 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Dublin
“Enjoyed our stay - DO NOT get a taxi to hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for an extra long weekend recently. We made the BIG mistake of getting a taxi from Central Station, as I had previously emailed the hotel asking how much it would be and they stated about €13, so that was fair enough when I added on the train fare from the aerport to Central Station. However, the taxi man charged us €25!!!!! for less than a 10min drive, so DO NOT on any account get a taxi. As previously stated on this site, the hotel has a bus route directly outside which brings you to and from Central station in 10mins. You can walk to the city centre, but it is a long enough walk and more than the 20mins quoted on this site. If you are use to walking, grand, if not, get the bus (No 48).
The reception staff where grand, efficient, dutiful but not warm and friendly. The bar staff on the other hand go out of their way to be friendly and polite and chat to you. We had a lovely night watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics in the bar. Snack food was reasonably priced.
Room was nice. The toilet being separate to the shower/bathroom was a bit disconcerting and an issue if you needed to go to the toilet late at night. There was too much light in the bedroom, so we had to block up all the areas emitting light (front door, lights on step to bed) and because of this it was quite difficult to get from the toilet to the bathroom late at night. Other than that the room was lovely, air conditioning worked very well and room cleaning was efficient.
Amsterdam itself was a great spot. If you are from another Euro country you won't find anything cheaper than at home and I actually thought, that my home country, Ireland, was a bit cheaper for snack food. Would go back again, but with a hotel that was nearer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
BenjaminTam, General Manager at WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Deae Sue035Dublin,

Thank you very much for your extensive review on Tripadvisor.
I am very sorry to read that you have been overcharged by a taxi driver. A maximum of EUR 13,- is a fair rate. EUR 25,- is too much!

All your comments will help us to continuously improve our service and facilities.

Thanks again and we are looking forward to welcome you again!

1,040 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Zug
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here on business. I was genuinely surprised by how pleasant and well run the hotel was. It takes the concept of boutique hotels, with quirky style and modern twists and does it very well on a large scale.

The coffee room, restaurant and terrace are all well run and have plenty of room for the visitor to use. The wi fi is excellent and free, something of an added bonus to anyone, but particularly to the business traveller who has become fed up of paying extra because you need to connect with PC, ipad and phone only to find each is a separate charge at some establishments.

The rooms are great, with all the modern fittings one could require save one, and this is my only criticism of any substance, there are nowhere near enough sockets to plug in phone, PC etc. Why not put a socket either side of the bed for phones at least? A desk in today’s business market with only one socket? This is such a silly oversight.

Overall brilliant “ on the edge of town” option at exceedingly good rates.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Viscount57,

Thank your very much for commenting on your recent stay!
We will defintiely take your comments along.
It is pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay, our services and facilities.

we are looking forward to see you again!

Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was provided with a comfortable twin room for a solo traveller - on the sixth floor (608) within a no smoking section of the hotel. there were tell-tale marks by the side of the bath and on the side table to the bed that illustrated not all guests respected the no smoking rules for no smoking rooms. But there was odour and the room was clean.

Getting to the hotel was very simple - bus 48 from Amsterdam Central. Departs about every 15 minutes from about 200m in front of the railway station and after a trip of about ten minutes, sets down at a stop in front of the Westcord Art Hotel. And while the stop is across a duel laned road - it wasn't difficult to cross, even with luggage. There are quite a few ticket options for the bus and tram netwook - each linked to a time limitation. I bought tickets for an hour (2.70 euro) and 24 hours (7.50 euros), but 48 hour and 78 hour tickets are also availabe - and from the reception desk.

My check in experience was good - a queque of only three - within five minutes I was in my room. The bath was welcome following all of my cycling! I recommend hiring a bike to explore Amsterdam. It's cheap, traffic is respectful of cyclists and you get to cover a lot of ground - and it's flat!

Initially, I thought the prices in the hotel were a little high - but having eat out and in - it's about the market rates. You could eat at a MacDonalds if you want that price - but I noted that even at these fastfood outlets, prices were a lot higher than in Britain.

I found a local outlet for the Dutch leading supermarket within a six minute walk of the hotel (towards Amsterdam) and was able to buy water, beer, fruit and snacks for refreshments for my days out at the art galleries.

All in all, the Westcord Art hotel provided for a comfortable stay, I found the staff to be respectful and helpful - and the hotel location to be in a reasonably good location.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back overlook a lido. Rooms to the front overlook an industrial zone.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
BenjaminTam, General Manager at WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Relentlessvoyager,

Thank you very much for your kind words and extensive review.
As all reviews, yours will help us to improve our services and facilities.

We are looking forward to welcome you again!

Reykjavik, Iceland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The hotel advertised a triple deluxe room with three twin beds and we booked and that is what I paid for. But when we got there all we got was a double room with a double bed and a sofa bed which had been made up. This was disappointing since we were three grown up women who did not at all want to share a bed and we all paid equally for a hotel bed. Also the photos of the room had shown a sofa so we expected to be able to use the sofa for sitting.

We of course went down to the reception to complain about our accommodation. I told the lady in the reception that we had specifically ordererd a triple deluxe room with three single beds.

A copy of the room describtion on Hotels.com website:

"3 twin beds. 21 square meters (226 square feet). Pool view. Desk. In-room safe. Wireless (high-speed) Internet access - complimentary. Cable TV. Pay movies. Multi-line phone. Minibar. Coffee/tea maker. Shower/tub combination. Handheld shower. Hair dryer. Complimentary toiletries. Soundproofed rooms. Air conditioning. Climate control. Smoking rooms only."

The reception lady said that there was no such room in the hotel. But that the double bed was in fact two single beds on one frame. I pointed out that this is not what they advertise where I booked the room and she just went on saying that this was the way it had to be. So I told her that the hotel would really have to change the room describtion on the Hotels.com website but still they haven't. Finally she offered to have a single bed put into the room but that the sofa had to be removed. I of course was not happy about losing the sofa but asked her to bring an extra chair to the room so that we would have three chairs.

When we got back to the hotel in the evening we couldn't believe what we saw. The sofa was still there in the room and what they called a bed was in fact a very uncomfortabe foldable bed which had been stuffed into the room so we could hardly get around it. I actually cut my leg on it while walking passed it. The person which had been sleeping on the sofa bed was really upset about this arrangement and wanted to leave the hotel. So I and the third one went back into the reception and complained again. We would have to make do with this arrangement until the morning after but were offered a quadruple room the next day. That one had one double bed in the main room and then there was a smaller room with two single beds (not on one frame) but no night stands. So one of us took that room and used the other single bed for a night stand while the other two made do with the double bed. Our sleeping arrangement caused two of us to lose a lot of sleep through the whole trip.

When we had arrived at the hotel the lady in the reception asked for my credit card. I didn't know it then but she actually made an authorization hold on my credit card for about 600 Euros if I remember the amount correctly. I had gone on a daytrip to Utrecht when my credit card was denied authorization because the hotel had used up my authorization limit without notifying me either beforehand or afterwards. I just found out because I called my bank to find out what the problem was with my credit card. The reception should really notify customers that they are to make such a large hold on a credit card.

The hotel was the worst part about the trip, we had a lot of fun and really loved Amsterdam but I doubt that any of us will ever book a room in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear DoraOsk,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
I was very dismayed to read your comment.
We will naturally check the descriptions on the website with our partner and make sure all information is correct.
Please be so kind to send me an e-mail with your contact details so I can contact you directly in person. My e-mail address is benjamin.tam@westcordhotels.com.

Thanks in advance,

Lier, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked with 12 friends 6 rooms. We were lying on different levels and it took more then one hour for checking in. The breakfast was not included in the price. They promised us a reduction of 2,5 Euro on a total price of 18 Euro's, but didn't received. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Beer-Engel,

Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read that we were not able to accomodate you all on one or two floors.
This will definitely be discussed with the department head involved.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stood here on our recent trip to Amsterdam, the value was good for the cost considering that other comparable hotels closer to the city center were 2 or 3x the price.. the rooms were pretty roomy and the staff was friendly. The bus stop is right outside the hotel so its not a big deal getting into the city center which is like a 5-10 min bus ride away.. if you want to you can walk , it will take you about 20 mins.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Danny1011,

Thank you for your comment on tripadvisor.
Good to read that you have enjoyed your stay!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is good overall. The only negative is the location, which is quite far from the city center. You'll need to take a ~10 minute bus ride, but the bus does run to and from Centraal Station pretty regularly. Free wifi is a plus.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Dkirsch78,

Thank you for your short but clear comment!
Good to read that youhave enjoyed our free WIFI.