“Close to the City, but away from the noise.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Spaarndammerdijk 302, 1013 ZX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #54 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford
“Close to the City, but away from the noise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was provided with a comfortable twin room for a solo traveller - on the sixth floor (608) within a no smoking section of the hotel. there were tell-tale marks by the side of the bath and on the side table to the bed that illustrated not all guests respected the no smoking rules for no smoking rooms. But there was odour and the room was clean.

Getting to the hotel was very simple - bus 48 from Amsterdam Central. Departs about every 15 minutes from about 200m in front of the railway station and after a trip of about ten minutes, sets down at a stop in front of the Westcord Art Hotel. And while the stop is across a duel laned road - it wasn't difficult to cross, even with luggage. There are quite a few ticket options for the bus and tram netwook - each linked to a time limitation. I bought tickets for an hour (2.70 euro) and 24 hours (7.50 euros), but 48 hour and 78 hour tickets are also availabe - and from the reception desk.

My check in experience was good - a queque of only three - within five minutes I was in my room. The bath was welcome following all of my cycling! I recommend hiring a bike to explore Amsterdam. It's cheap, traffic is respectful of cyclists and you get to cover a lot of ground - and it's flat!

Initially, I thought the prices in the hotel were a little high - but having eat out and in - it's about the market rates. You could eat at a MacDonalds if you want that price - but I noted that even at these fastfood outlets, prices were a lot higher than in Britain.

I found a local outlet for the Dutch leading supermarket within a six minute walk of the hotel (towards Amsterdam) and was able to buy water, beer, fruit and snacks for refreshments for my days out at the art galleries.

All in all, the Westcord Art hotel provided for a comfortable stay, I found the staff to be respectful and helpful - and the hotel location to be in a reasonably good location.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back overlook a lido. Rooms to the front overlook an industrial zone.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
BenjaminTam, General Manager at WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Relentlessvoyager,

Thank you very much for your kind words and extensive review.
As all reviews, yours will help us to improve our services and facilities.

We are looking forward to welcome you again!

920 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reykjavik, Iceland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The hotel advertised a triple deluxe room with three twin beds and we booked and that is what I paid for. But when we got there all we got was a double room with a double bed and a sofa bed which had been made up. This was disappointing since we were three grown up women who did not at all want to share a bed and we all paid equally for a hotel bed. Also the photos of the room had shown a sofa so we expected to be able to use the sofa for sitting.

We of course went down to the reception to complain about our accommodation. I told the lady in the reception that we had specifically ordererd a triple deluxe room with three single beds.

A copy of the room describtion on Hotels.com website:

"3 twin beds. 21 square meters (226 square feet). Pool view. Desk. In-room safe. Wireless (high-speed) Internet access - complimentary. Cable TV. Pay movies. Multi-line phone. Minibar. Coffee/tea maker. Shower/tub combination. Handheld shower. Hair dryer. Complimentary toiletries. Soundproofed rooms. Air conditioning. Climate control. Smoking rooms only."

The reception lady said that there was no such room in the hotel. But that the double bed was in fact two single beds on one frame. I pointed out that this is not what they advertise where I booked the room and she just went on saying that this was the way it had to be. So I told her that the hotel would really have to change the room describtion on the Hotels.com website but still they haven't. Finally she offered to have a single bed put into the room but that the sofa had to be removed. I of course was not happy about losing the sofa but asked her to bring an extra chair to the room so that we would have three chairs.

When we got back to the hotel in the evening we couldn't believe what we saw. The sofa was still there in the room and what they called a bed was in fact a very uncomfortabe foldable bed which had been stuffed into the room so we could hardly get around it. I actually cut my leg on it while walking passed it. The person which had been sleeping on the sofa bed was really upset about this arrangement and wanted to leave the hotel. So I and the third one went back into the reception and complained again. We would have to make do with this arrangement until the morning after but were offered a quadruple room the next day. That one had one double bed in the main room and then there was a smaller room with two single beds (not on one frame) but no night stands. So one of us took that room and used the other single bed for a night stand while the other two made do with the double bed. Our sleeping arrangement caused two of us to lose a lot of sleep through the whole trip.

When we had arrived at the hotel the lady in the reception asked for my credit card. I didn't know it then but she actually made an authorization hold on my credit card for about 600 Euros if I remember the amount correctly. I had gone on a daytrip to Utrecht when my credit card was denied authorization because the hotel had used up my authorization limit without notifying me either beforehand or afterwards. I just found out because I called my bank to find out what the problem was with my credit card. The reception should really notify customers that they are to make such a large hold on a credit card.

The hotel was the worst part about the trip, we had a lot of fun and really loved Amsterdam but I doubt that any of us will ever book a room in this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dear DoraOsk,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us.
I was very dismayed to read your comment.
We will naturally check the descriptions on the website with our partner and make sure all information is correct.
Please be so kind to send me an e-mail with your contact details so I can contact you directly in person. My e-mail address is benjamin.tam@westcordhotels.com.

Thanks in advance,

Lier, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We booked with 12 friends 6 rooms. We were lying on different levels and it took more then one hour for checking in. The breakfast was not included in the price. They promised us a reduction of 2,5 Euro on a total price of 18 Euro's, but didn't received. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
BenjaminTam, General Manager at WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Beer-Engel,

Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read that we were not able to accomodate you all on one or two floors.
This will definitely be discussed with the department head involved.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Stood here on our recent trip to Amsterdam, the value was good for the cost considering that other comparable hotels closer to the city center were 2 or 3x the price.. the rooms were pretty roomy and the staff was friendly. The bus stop is right outside the hotel so its not a big deal getting into the city center which is like a 5-10 min bus ride away.. if you want to you can walk , it will take you about 20 mins.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Danny1011,

Thank you for your comment on tripadvisor.
Good to read that you have enjoyed your stay!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is good overall. The only negative is the location, which is quite far from the city center. You'll need to take a ~10 minute bus ride, but the bus does run to and from Centraal Station pretty regularly. Free wifi is a plus.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Dkirsch78,

Thank you for your short but clear comment!
Good to read that youhave enjoyed our free WIFI.

delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Let me start by saying that I am going to ignore the front desk staff in this review just the way they ignored me!! Stayed for 5 nights in June and liked it here….easy easy easy accessibility to central and the airport..comfortable beds..good housekeeping..smoking rooms…big bathrooms..had dinner in the restaurant once..good food except the ceaser salad was really bad and dessert menu is very very limited..service poor..so didn’t make that mistake again..would be come back..yes and only because of the price and bus 48 which u get right outside the hotel…everything was just as expected based on all reviews we had read here before booking

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Newbiemm,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay.
I am very dismayed to read your comments on our service level.
We do our utmost to train and focus on guest service and guest experience. This review does not reflect our procedures and standards.
I will definitely discuss your comments with the department heads involved.

Mancheter uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I booked this hotel as a birthday treat for my partner for 4 nights and I can honestly say it couldn't have been better. We arrived at he hotel around 9.30 and was welcomed by a very polite and helpful lady,we were delighted when she said a room was ready for us and were given our room key along with a voucher for free drinks in the bar for my partners birthday a very nice gesture. We went to or room on the 5th floor room 535 a large design room, on the desktop a birthday card had also been left for my partner from the hotel manager mr Benjamin tam this made us feel even more welcome than we already did. The room was very nicely decorated all modern with a sofa area by the window,very spacious bathroom with bath and separate shower and a very comfortable bed. The hotel is about 10 minutes away from central station by bus but is easily reached by taking the number 48 bus right outside the hotel. The rest of the hotel was very clean and modern too we loved sitting outside having a drink from the bar in the evening, all staff were very professional and helpful, we enjoyed our stay so much we are going to return same time next year and might even upgrade to an xl room you can't beat a nice hotel that makes you feel so welcome roll on next year ;) .....date of stay 5/07/2012

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Katrina G.,

Thank you very much for extensive review and kind words!
It was a great pleasure have you as our guests and we are looking forward to welcome you again next year!

Benjamin Tam

Been to WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!