“Wonderful return visit!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Freeland Hotel

Save Saved
You added Freeland Hotel to your Saves list
Freeland Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marnixstraat 386, Amsterdam 1017 PL, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #115 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Wonderful return visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

Just wanted to congratulate the Hotel Freeland on making my stay such a wonderful experience, once again!
I have reviewed this hotel once before a few years ago, and was delighted that their single room came up as one of the cheapest in Amsterdam for my latest stay. I bagged the room for under 40 euros a night.
The room itself was lovely, number 7. It has its own little entrance hall, opening into a good sized single with high ceilings and huge fully opening windows (room overlooked the back gardens).
Interesting to note the ashtrays in the rooms, although it is a non smoking hotel. You gotta love Amsterdam!
Room was very clean but a bit tired around the edges and probably due a lick of fresh paint soon. TV worked fine and the shower room though small was perfectly adequate. Tea and coffee facilities on each floor is a nice touch.
Fantastic location, just off the Leidseplein means you are close to all the action and herds of trams to choose from, to take you city wide.
But its the service and warm welcome you receive at Hotel Freeland that is worth its weight in gold! Well done and thank you!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

236 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I stayed 3 nights at Hotel Freeland. Perfect location, a few steps from bus 197 stop at Leidseplein from the airport. Wonderful friendly staff and I truly enjoyed the simple, clean and comfortable accomodation. I certainly would stay again. The kind of little place with interesting decorative touches that I enjoy. Breakfast and internet make it an incredible value for the money.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
NL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

We stayed here only one night visiting our relative in Amsterdam and having a great weekend in the city :)
The hotel has a perfect location - not far from Leidsegracht (beautiful spot) and Leidseplein (entertainment area of Amsterdam) with a lot of nice cafes/bars.
Only 20 minutes walk to the centre of Amsterdam. The rooms are clean, beds comfortable, breakfast just fine :) Nice little hotel in Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

I selected this hotel for its price and location, and was pleasantly surprised with the entire experience. Requested a room on the top floor up the skinny, steep stairs. There's a handrail, so it was doable, and the reward was a tiny, cheerful, cozy room with a great view of the canal and street below. The bed sat right next to the large windows that not only let in delightful sunshine, but it also opened for fresh air and allowed me to enjoy the sounds of the street below. (Ear plugs recommended.) I've never seen a small space more smartly organized with cubbie holes, shelves, and hooks for storage. TV worked, bathroom was efficient, everything was very clean. One free internet station in lobby was often available and worked well. Really appreciated the tea and instant coffee, but mostly appreciated the cold Heineken in the vending machine downstairs. Staff was always helpful with train schedules and directions. The Freeland was just right for me and helped make my stay a memorable one. Will definitely return some day.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I depend on Tripadvisor reviews for bargain hunting, and the other reviews I saw were pretty accurate. I liked this hotel - the staff were very friendly, and they let me check in early after waiting a bit for my room to be cleaned. My room, facing the street, was surprisingly spacious for an inexpensive Amsterdam hotel, even a large bathroom with two sinks. It was clean and is in a convenient location. The only negatives I experienced were the steep and narrow stairs, a bit treacherous with my bags (although they offered to help me carry them up), and the fairly noisy bars right across the street. I was there in November and slept fine with the windows closed, if I'd been there in July with the windows open the noise would have been a bit of a problem. But overall I found it a good bargain and would go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

Yes, the stairs are steep and there is no lift, so it's not the hotel if you are in any way infirm. However, many buildings in Amsterdam have the same design, so it's worth checking beforehand wherever you book. I enjoyed staying at this hotel; the room was fine (a kettle and tea and coffee-making facilities in the room was a welcome bonus; almost unheard of away from Britain) and an electric fan provided as standard. This was a good touch as our room faced the street and the traffic noise is somewhat pervasive so you wouldn't want to leave the window open at night. In fact, my top tip is always to take a set of cheap earplugs, bought from any pharmacy, with you wherever you go; they cost very little and they are well worth it. Then any traffic/bar/other noise is no problem. The other thing about this hotel is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff; absolutely first rate. I'd recommend it (and you can catch the Interliner 370 bus from the airport, which stops just 2 minutes away on Liedesplain) but with the proviso about the stairs, and do bear in mind it does not face a canal.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

I booked to stay here for one night via the website and I was really pleased with the friendly communication from them. The hotel is easy enough to find and was in a perfect location for where I wanted. Sadly I decided not to stay there when I arrived. I was allocated the room on the top floor in what I can only describe the attic with four flights of stairs which were neither suitable for me or for the person I was travelling with. There was no chance I could have got my suitcase up one flight of the steep step ladder type stairs let alone four. I did attempt to carry up what I needed leaving my case downstairs but after managing three flights I decided it was not going to be suitable and choose to leave.

I paid the 100 Euros agreed for the room and left, I checked into a chain hotel not far away for a night which surprisingly wasn’t much more expensive than this one!

The downside, they really need to add on their website about the location of the rooms and warn people of the stairs and how steep they are.

I’d like to add a friend did stay there the following night and she describe her stay as an experience to remember!

Personally I am use to hotel so I would avoid staying somewhere like this, it was a last minute trip to Amsterdam as part of a European tour so I didn’t really have much chance to check out places and read reviews!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Freeland Hotel? Share your experiences!