“Great experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Freeland Hotel

You added Freeland Hotel to your Saves list
Freeland Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marnixstraat 386, 1017 PL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #151 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Very good position, in less then a couple of minute u can reach Leidesplein, a square full of coffee shops and restaurants.
Staff really kind, room big and comfortable!
Nice breakfast in The morning, wifi aviable all day long!
There's also a nice Irish pub in The opposite side of The road!
Hotel passed The Exam!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Polish first
Tours
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

On a recent trip to Amsterdam I stayed at the Freeland Hotel.

The location of the hotel is well placed for walking the historic centre and canals. Just walk across the road and you come across the first of them.

The receptionist I spoke to was extremely knowledgeable about the area and gave me many ideas for places to go.

There was one niggle which was the breakfast. It wasn't the typical continental one that you get in a lot of hotels. rather you have to wait until you are served. Also, you are not asked what you would actually like rather it is given to you. So for example, I was given a plate with meat and cheese on it. Well, I am vegetarian so that put paid to that.

If you're not good at stairs then you'll struggle in the Freeland. Due to the age of the building there are the typically steep stairs that they have in Holland. is this a bad thing? No because it means its authentic but you need to be aware of it. The breakfast is what knocked the point off for me.

Overall though the hotel is very good, clean and welcoming staff. Tighten up on breakfast and you have a winner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

It was my second time to amsterdam,my first time in this hotel.Perfect location,near leidseplein square, a place full of bars,pubs and shopping stores.....10 min far from hotel is a night bus to the airport at marnixstraat corner.It takes 40 min,and it costs 5 euro.Good breakfast for the money you pay,kind reception which gives you all the information u need.Clean room also.Only negative are the small stairs,cause there is no elevator and it would be problem for old people and family.Our room was at 4th floor so u get tired to go up and down....Me and my friends would stay there again!! Thanks freeland..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We loved our room at the Freeland. It was on the 1st floor (2nd floor for Americans), had high ceilings, lots of space, balcony, wonderful, spacious bathroom. Very clean. It was a triple room and just great. It is in an excellent location, close to all public transportation (including the 197 bus to and from the airport), lots of great restaurants, and within walking distance of nearly everything. The only minor drawback is that it is a major party area, and especially on the weekends, people are spilling out of the bars across the street until the wee hours of the morning. With our windows closed (and the provided fans going, if need be), it wasn't a problem. Breakfast was nice. The staff are very friendly. Gay friendly too. Overall, I would stay again and recommend without any hesitation (and I like quiet!).

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so it can be a long walk up a very narrow staircase.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

A nicely run, privately owned hotel, with a very friendly feel about it. It is in a brilliant location for theatres and the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum - just a few minutes' walk away, and quick and easy by tram to / from the central railway station.

Hotels in old Amsterdam aren't cheap, so with this location the Freeland is good value. The owner/manager is lovely. She went to a lot of trouble when I lost my USB stick - and finally it was located and handed back to me. Free tea and coffee with a kettle in your room and another in reception completes the welcome.

The downside is that, as with so many old properties here, there's no lift - but the rooms and bathrooms are clean and it was a pleasure to stay here for two nights - with luck, I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

If you are looking for an INEXPENSIVE but SAFE hotel in the heart of old Amsterdam you need look no further than the FREELAND HOTEL near the Leidseplein and even better, a short 5 minute walk to the notorious BULLDOG CAFE the oldest coffee shop in Amsterdam where grateful, weary travelers will be greeted by the aromatic and pungent scent of hashish and weed:-) But getting back to the FREELAND HOTEL. I had the unfortunate experience of LOSING my luggage on my NYC to London leg of this journey (I believe the luggage was misplaced in London.) Anyway, much to my surprise and astonishment my luggage was recovered and sent to Schipol Airport where it was then delivered to the FREELAND HOTEL three days after I checked in. This suitcase weighed at least 100 pounds and I could not believe it when I had a knock on my door and it was the desk clerk who hauled this enormous suitcase up THREE FLIGHTS of narrow, and VERY STEEP stairs to deliver my luggage to my room. When I offered him a ten euro bill as a tip he seemed offended and reluctant to accept it stating that he was "only doing his job." I was so grateful to get my giant suitcase back and have it hauled up all those narrow stairs I insisted he accept my gratuity. The few drawbacks at this very old hotel are not having an elevator clearly (travel lightly people), and I must say, the rooms are VERY small by American standards but who travels to Europe to hole up in their hotel rooms?!
Amsterdam is so beautiful with all the lovely canals and gingerbread houses and I was thrilled being able to ride a bicycle all over the city just like all the natives do year-round. English is also their second language so almost all Dutch people are fluent in English. The location of the FREELAND HOTEL could not be anymore convenient for first-time visitors such as myself.
I highly recommend this charming, quaint old-school European hotel especially for singles and
my week in Amsterdam at the FREELAND HOTEL was affordable and hospitable.

Room Tip: Request a room on a lower floor if you pack a lot like I do or have trouble navigating steep and nar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our room was decorated very uniquely and had a nice artsy feel to it. The hotel is in a great location one block from main tram lines, which gave us easy access to many local sights that were too far to walk to. We were in Amsterdam for 2 days, got a 48-hr tram/bus pass which made moving around the city very easy. The hotel staff was very helpful and advised us about local sights and which ones we should book in advance. This saved us waiting in line for hours at the Anne Frank Museum and Van Gogh Museum, in particular. Breakfast was very good, fresh and served with a smile. Only downside was the steep narrow staircase to our room on the 2nd floor.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Freeland Hotel? Share your experiences!