“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Freeland Hotel

Save Saved
You added Freeland Hotel to your Saves list
Freeland Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marnixstraat 386, 1017 PL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #114 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
KONSTANCIN-JEZIORNA
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The price is really good for the location in the city centre close to bars restaurants etc. it is also very close to the bus stop from where you can get directly to the airport in ca. 40 min. The staff seem really friendly. I had a single room. Very small with tiny bathroom but clean and since you don't need to spend a lot of time in your room while in Amsterdam I think it was fine. Especially for this price. The stairs are indeed extremely steep so if you don't want to climb ask for the room on lower floors. Breakfast is ok but you don't have any choice what you get ( except for coffee or tea).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
ISRAEL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Arrived 2/20/13 and stayed here for 7 days. Great central location but very quiet . Friendly and helpful stuff. The room was small but with a big window overlooking a garden. Very clean. Breakfast was nice too and in overall great value to it's modest price. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a nice place to stay during their stay in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: As you well know the stairs in the Holland are very steep so I think the lower the better(:
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Our room was not ready when we checked in; we waited over an hour. Sadly the room was on the top floor though I asked for a lower floor and the room was filthy. Management was horrible and did nothing to remedy the problem.

• Stayed November 2012
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent a few nights in Amsterdam early January and stayed at the Freeland Hotel.

I think most people have written similar reviews... but the location REALLY is perfect! I tend to prefer to walk a city whenever possible rather than using public transport, and traveling solo as a female, safety is an issue. This hotel scores 100% on both counts! One bus takes you to the airport (4euros) and you can either catch a tram or walk to the central train station.

My room was a bit small (but clean and kinda cutely decorated) and stairs are pretty steep and narrow for negotiating large pieces of luggage. There can be a bit of noise from other guests - unfortunately, I was subject to listening for about 20minutes to a guy in the room next door yell at his teenage child... but thankfully never had my sleep disturbed by noise.

Breakfast is ample but repetitive (one boiled egg, cold meats, bread, jam - not a buffet). I personally would've liked a cereal option but it's not that big a deal...

Aside from the location, the biggest draw of the hotel is the service. Pre-stay communication was fantastic in that emails were always replied within a few hours. I had already booked for 4 nights but might have needed to extend and they were willing to hold a room for me until I could make up my mind (without putting pressure on me). I was also lucky that they helped bring my luggage up to my room on the 3rd floor. They were quick to sort out a wi-fi problem, and they did my laundry for free...

At around 45euros per night (at least in January) for a single en-suite room, it's a good value, laid back, friendly kinda place that is perfect as a base for exploring Amsterdam...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

The location is fantastic, just a short walk from the Leidseplein and all its bars & restaurants, and transport connections. Close enough to the fun, but far enough away from the noise.
I was fortunate to have a room on the ground floor so I didn't have to deal with the stairs (except at Breakfast). There can be a lot of noise from people coming in and out, so I used earplugs to sleep and that worked out very well. The room is small, but I didn't come to Amsterdam to spend a lot of time in my room!! It had everything I needed to be comfortable and a surprisingly good shower. The WiFi was really quick too.
Pascale went out of her way to double check the schedule for Bus 197 to the airport on New Year's Day - good thing too, I had it wrong! In fact, every staff member greeted me with a smile on their face.
I was very happy with my selection and will stay here again if I'm ever fortunate enough to return to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the back and, if you're not afraid of the stairs, on a higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Freeland Hotel? Share your experiences!