“poor value for money, dirt all over the place!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cake Under My Pillow

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cake Under My Pillow
Eerste Jacob van Campenstraat 66 | 1072 BH, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #204 of 297 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Warsaw, Poland
“poor value for money, dirt all over the place!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I don't understand what's the sceret of this place reading other reviews.

First of all it is a bed and breakfast without a real breakfast. There was some cheese and breakfast products in the kitchen but I wouldn't call that breakfast (see my photos).
The location is not perfect about 15-20 minutes walk to the city center.
Yes there is a cake shop in the same building and we went there once to have a breakfast. We came at 9.50 but they opened at 10, so we had to wait in the pouring rain until they open, although they saw as perfectly standing on the front door. When they let us in we ordered 2 coffees and 2 cakes but they gave us only 2 coffees. So we left and never came back.

The building was stinky and full of unecessary things. It didn't seem a "planned kitsch" to me, rather a place that nobody wanted to clean up recently.

The rooms are not nice, and were just dirty when we came, there was dust all over the furniture and I found somebody's hair in the shower. The living room didn't seem to be cleaned up either (glass marks on the table, small things on the carpet, etc.). I think that you are lucky if the former guests clean up the room before leaving, but if they don't nobody does it.

I can't say anything about the service as I saw our host only twice - at the check in giving us the keys and at the chceck out, taking the money. No cleaning service, no reception, no tourist information, no contact telephone number in case of emergency, no help with the luggage although the stairs are really high.

Forget such luxuries as hair dryer, vanity kits or bathrobe (see my pictures). It was rather something like "rent a room" than a B&B (as there was practically NO SERVICE at all, no brakfast, no cleaning...). But I doubt if the simple room for rent is worth the price over 100 euro per night in October. For me definitelly not.

I didn't find the cake under my pillow, only a spider and somebody's else hair under my shower.

Room Tip: The Orange one is small, dark and has no view. The Blue one is OK but with no bathroom. The green on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Cake under my pillow was a delight to stay at for my daughter and I. Beds were comfy, well stocked fridge (to share in common kitchen), clean rooms, washroom, with shower and toilet, was a bonus, and the staff and management were friendly and helpful for directions, etc. The very narrow and steep stairs up to the rooms were always a (fun) challenge. I would stay here again and so would my daughter. They gave us some coupons for a complimentary coffee and a piece of cake, or pie, etc which was just great. I had the apple pie, to die for!!! This B&B is very well located and we found it very easy to get around by foot, or the tram. Also it's not right in the city centre so things were a little quieter at night. Close to good restaurants, great museums (Rijks Museum is right around the corner), Canal boats (1 blk away) and, of course, the "coffee shops"...if that's your cup of tea. Keep in mind this place is not the Ritz but is far from being a dump. I guess, as Goldilocks would say, "this place is just right". And remember just like in Las Vegas, whatever happens in Amsterdam well....... you probably won't remember anyway.....but it stays in Amsterdam!!!! Have Fun!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Stayed for a week at "cake under my pillow" it is a very nice, clean B&B. it is located a short tram ride from Central Station and near a small gallery district. It is atop the "taart van m'n tante" which provides a coffee and cake voucher to guests; a very nice touch as the cakes are world famous and rightfully so.
It is across the street from the Heineken Experience and just a short walk from the Rijksmuseum.
I give it the highest recommendation I can. Greatly enhanced my stay in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: I stayed in the "green" room. It had an private WC with shower. It was on the street side...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Tilburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

Cake under my pillow is a bed & breakfast situated on the second floor of an ancient building just south of the centre of Amsterdam in the "Oud zuid"-area. The Heineken Experience is just around the corner and the Albert Cuyp market and the Rijksmuseum just a few streets away. There is no elevator, so you should be aware that you will have to climb two rather long steps with your luggage in order to reach your room. On the first floor the owners run a tea room ("De taart van mijn tante") where they serve drinks and delicious cake in a friendly environment. The owners were really helpfull. At arrival the free wireless internet connection was out of order because the router broke down, but a new router was installed already the other day.
Parking space in the area of the building, if available at all, costs a small fortune (€ 5 per hour), so we were adviced to leave our car at the park & ride parking at the Olympic Stadium and take public transport to the bed & breakfast. Lines 16 and 24 run from the stadium and stop directly in front of the buuilding, so this was a good alternative, taking no more than fifteen minutes to get from the stadium to the bed & breakfast. Costs of parking were € 8 per day, including tickets for public transport, but we did have to wait a while to be able to enter the parking building at all, because park & ride tickets are available for a limited amount of places only. From the bed & breakfast we were able to walk to all the sites of Amsterdam and if you prefer you can take public transport just outside of the building.
We found the rooms to be fine but not luxurious, the bathroom to be clean and the beds to be very good. There is a sitting room and a kitchen, that have to be shared with other guests however. Breakfast was everything but abundant, but with help from a friendly neighbour we foud a very good baker at close range and made this work to our advantage.
We can recommend "Cake under my pillow" to everyone who is not too keen about luxury and who does not mind climbing the stairs and taking public transport to get to the building.

Room Tip: The green room has its own bathroom. About the other rooms I am not sure, because we did not see the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We loved our 3 night stay at Cake Under My Pillow. Completely unique and light hearted fun place that is very handy to the tram. The daily treat of cake and coffee was absolutely deliciously good and a welcome break after an afternoon seeing Amsterdam. The staff were great, welcoming and helpfull. The stairs were a challenge on occasion, but as we soon found out, typical Europe. Would recommend!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed here over New Years and had a great experience. If you are a fan of chain hotels, or want luxurious accommodation, then this is probably not the place for you. But, if you are looking for an affordable, unique hotel experience in a hip area with a real neighborhood feel, then you're likely to enjoy it. The decor is very kitschy in a fun, shabby-chic sort of way, and the rooms are clean and comfortable, with big windows, and decent beds with nice duvets. Everything you need in the kitchen is supplied and they make sure there is always great yogurt, bread, cheese, juice and fruit in the fridge for you to help yourself to whenever you like. The very best part, however, was the free cake and coffee that you get every day, down in the cake shop below. De Taart van m'n Tante" (My Auntie's Cake) is the coolest bakery/cake shop I have ever been in, and the deserts are incredible. Stopping in for a cake and a coffee at the end of a long day of sight seeing was the perfect way to end each day. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Difficult to imagine a more relaxing place. The green room is large and airy, with fluffy down comforters that look like meringue. Street noise is nonexistent when the windows are closed, but it can be chattery during open-window weather. Delicious fixings in the kitchen, candies in the living room, and best of all, daily coupons for cake and coffee! I could stay here for months....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cake Under My Pillow? Share your experiences!