“Unique and Fun” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cake Under My Pillow

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cake Under My Pillow
You added Cake Under My Pillow to your Saves list
Eerste Jacob van Campenstraat 66 | 1072 BH, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #158 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Unique and Fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We loved our 3 night stay at Cake Under My Pillow. Completely unique and light hearted fun place that is very handy to the tram. The daily treat of cake and coffee was absolutely deliciously good and a welcome break after an afternoon seeing Amsterdam. The staff were great, welcoming and helpfull. The stairs were a challenge on occasion, but as we soon found out, typical Europe. Would recommend!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed here over New Years and had a great experience. If you are a fan of chain hotels, or want luxurious accommodation, then this is probably not the place for you. But, if you are looking for an affordable, unique hotel experience in a hip area with a real neighborhood feel, then you're likely to enjoy it. The decor is very kitschy in a fun, shabby-chic sort of way, and the rooms are clean and comfortable, with big windows, and decent beds with nice duvets. Everything you need in the kitchen is supplied and they make sure there is always great yogurt, bread, cheese, juice and fruit in the fridge for you to help yourself to whenever you like. The very best part, however, was the free cake and coffee that you get every day, down in the cake shop below. De Taart van m'n Tante" (My Auntie's Cake) is the coolest bakery/cake shop I have ever been in, and the deserts are incredible. Stopping in for a cake and a coffee at the end of a long day of sight seeing was the perfect way to end each day. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Difficult to imagine a more relaxing place. The green room is large and airy, with fluffy down comforters that look like meringue. Street noise is nonexistent when the windows are closed, but it can be chattery during open-window weather. Delicious fixings in the kitchen, candies in the living room, and best of all, daily coupons for cake and coffee! I could stay here for months....

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Marshall, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the orange room. It was small by most American standards, but cozy for us. It had it's own bathroom with a shower. The bed and linens were very comfortable. The staff at the bakery downstairs were very friendly and helpful. The best accommodations was the all-access kitchen with the fully stocked refrigerator and pantry (eggs, bread, cookies, oj, milk, etc., toaster, microwave, coffee maker). We saved money by eating there for most of our meals, which was a nice surprise considering the dollar to euro exchange rate being at an all-time high while we were there. Not that we minded at all, but all guests are asked to clean up after themselves when using the kitchen. Because of this arrangement, there is no specific breakfast time like a traditional B&B in the states - but that was just fine for us. We were also able to use the guest computer with free internet access in the guest lounge, which was very helpful. We recommend CUMP to everyone, except to the elderly and/or those in poor health, only because there are 2 long, windy flights of very steep and narrow stairs to the guestrooms.

• Liked — 24 hr access to kitchen with stocked refrigerator and pantry, staff, internet access, bakery downstairs, full private bathroom
  • Disliked — two long flights of steep, narrow stairs - but staff helped us carry our bags up at check-in and down at check-out
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

The last review is very narrow minded and negative.... don't be put off! I've stayed there and loved it. Yes there are steep stairs - that comes with staying in a lovely traditional building. Yes it's pink - and that's what makes it unique! It's in a brilliant location - close to trams, which surely has to be a plus??? Second hand furniture - how much of a difference does that really make to your holiday? Expected to do your own washing up - oh no!!!!!! The kitchen is perfectly well equipped and they provide yummy food.

I suggest that if you are considering Cake Under My Pillow, and you don't want to stay in a boring, faceless, souless sterile box, then go for it. It's bright, happy, sociable, interesting... and comes with free cake! What more could you possibly want?

If you want somewhere like a Travelodge then maybe the travel agent guy can hook you up.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Milton Keynes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

I read with amazement the other reviews -maybe there is nother B&B with the same name. As a travel agent I look for value for money and this one failed horribly. The B&B is located above very quirky Amsterdam cake shop just around the corner from the Heineken Experience. My host when I arrived was one of the shop staff that read me the (strict) rules of the house and took my credit card payment before showing me my room. I stayed in the Orange room with en-suite and 14" TV with poor reception. It was clean but cramped and the shower overflowed flooding the bathroom floor every morning. There was no wardrobe and only hooks on the wall for my clothes with just two hangers. I had to use the same towels every day for 4 days as there was no maid service. When I asked for clean, dry ones and more toilet rolls I was accused of complaining. The room is at the top of two flights of steep stairs which are no good to the old or infirm. The other three rooms are above the main street with trams running all day and most of the night and so can be very noisey. The communal lounge is full of second hand furniture and the kitchen offers limited facilities (you are expected (told) to do your own washing up). I was fortunate that the other guests were polite, quiet non-smokers as we lived together like an extended family. Finally, I was charged £100 per night. In my view it was worth about £50 per night at best.

Stayed October 2007
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

Cake under my pillow is a cut above most b&bs. We stayed in the Green room, which was clean, large and airy with as many German Shepherd ornaments as you are ever likely to see.
We did not meet the owners but spoke to the girls working in the cake shop downstairs, who were all lovely. The kitchen was well stocked and catered for most tastes. Not only do you get to help yourself to breakfast, you also get vouchers for coffee and cake downstairs. The area isn't as posh as Jordaan, but has a more local feel to it and its only a 10 minute walk to the Rijksmuseum. When we go back to Amsterdam, we will book this one.

• Liked — Kindness of staff and catering
  • Disliked — Steep staircases!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Cake Under My Pillow? Share your experiences!