“Comfortable accommodation in good location” 4 of 5 stars

BickersBed Guestrooms
Grote Bickersstraat 23 hs, 1013 KN Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #96 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Comfortable accommodation in good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Bickersbed with our three adult children for 3 nights. We were asked to contact Maria by phone on arrival to airport or central station and we were promptly met by her at the apartment. She was helpful and friendly. The apartment was perfect for us, we were given an extra bed as we were 5. The rooms and bathrooms were nice and clean, the beds particularly comfortable. There is unlimited free internet access, which is a bonus. This is a nice area with easy access to central station and just two minutes from the charming Haarlemmerdijk and Haarlemmerstraat with its quaint shops, delis, cafes, bars and restaurants. There is also a nice supermarket where you can buy everything you need, although we only had breakfast in the apartment.
It is particularly suited to a family or two couples who know each other, as there is not much privacy between the two apartments (upstairs and downstairs).
I would not hesitate to stay at Bickersbed again next time I visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
masnou
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2008

we stayed in Bickersbed, in the appartments close to the train line, as one of the advisors say.
Our appartment was excellent: small but tidy and very clean.
It has a kitchen (IKEA)-livingroom, a bathroom with shower and a big bedroom with a very confortable bed.
The area, the JOOrdan neightbourhood is safe, friendly and cool.
there are some restaurant around.
It about 20 minutes walking from central station. We did the way walking with luggage and its easy to find. Its a relaxed stroll along a shoping street.
The appartment is realy cool and we stayed as at home. It has free internet outside the room and there is no problem to use it at all.
We arrived late at night (around 1 am) and the owner was waiting for us....
to sum up: a perfect stay and we will return again

• Stayed June 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

do not recommend if you are on business trip.

The house is right next to train line, literally touching the raised platform.
It says there is a wireless, but you can not access it!! When I complained, I was given 15m cable left outside of my room without any comment. I assumed it meant to find the router myself and wire the cable to my room. Well, cable is just way too long and you loose connection.

To make it worse, I was told more than a few times to call from the station which I did. But you still have to wait outside of the door for a while.

I was in newly added (?) apartment. It is clean but has no place to relax, either tiny bedroom or tiny kitchen. Both are clean but you do not want to stay too long.

I changed the booking from 4nights to 2nights within 24 hours of booking. Although it was last minute and there were no reservation anyway, I was still charged for cancellation fee.

• Liked — city
  • Disliked — price, service, location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2006

Myself and two friends stayed at Bickersbed for 3 nights this August. The website is good and shows the property how it is - although it forgets to mention one thing! Bickersbed has two rooms, one upstairs and one downstairs. They are not completely separate from each other so if you went as a couple you would have another couple staying upstairs.

As you go in the house there is a small dining table (shared between both rooms) and two sets of stairs - one down to a small kitchen and the downstairs bedroom and one up to a small gallery kitchen and the upstairs bedroom.

We stayed in the downstairs bedroom but had a peek in the upstairs one which was much nicer. The downstairs one is quite dark and only has 2 small windows which look out onto a house (we had a very nosy woman peering in at us one day!).

The upstairs room is very light and airy and had a great curved bathroom - ask for this room if you can.

The lady who met up was very friendly and told us lots about the area. The actual area of the house is nice and quiet and away from the hussle and bussle of the city. You are about a ten minute walk from Central Station and about fifteen minutes from the red light district. I would recommend the area as we felt safe walking back at night and it was not full of tourists.

If you eat at the pub on the corner and order a special sausage sandwich - be prepared for a raw mince burger!!!! My friend ordered this as she didn't know what it was!!!!

Overall I would say that Bickersbed is a good place to stay. This is my third visit to Amsterdam and its the best place I hace stayed so far. It would be great for a group of 4 people as you would have your own private house.

Explore the area around the house as there are some great boutiques and nice bars and restaurants which are not touristy and offer good food.

Hope this helps you to decide where to stay!

• Liked — Great decor, very clean and excellent location.
  • Disliked — Room was a bit dark.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book the room upstairs
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BickersBed Guestrooms? Share your experiences!