“Very Convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ben

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Ben to your Saves list
Hotel Ben
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beursstraat 21, 1012 JT Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #286 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reading, United Kingdom
“Very Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed here with my partner for 4 nights. I have stayed in other hotels in Amsterdam before and hotel Ben was about average with regards to size of room, decor etc However, i would choose to stay here again as it is right in the middle of all the action or a very short walk to other places. Also, the service was amazing, the guy on the desk was very helpful and very friendly

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Ben on May 29th and our stay was only (sadly!) one night. First of all, the hotel is extremely convenient to get to via Central Station which was extremely helpful after a few extremely long days of international travel. We had arrived very early that morning, and we were delighted that they would hold our luggage (no cost) We were pleasantly surprised when check in was available earlier than expected. Loek (the concierge) at the front desk was very polite and answered all of our questions.

Our room was on the second floor and to the back of the hotel. but we weren't expecting it. It was a clean but did seem very compressed. But overall we were very impressed with the room.

We did not experience any noise issues, despite the surrounding area being near Warmoesstraat. Some seem concerned about the safety of the hotel in the area, but we felt very safe, and secure. We were at a late movie during our stay and experienced no issues coming back to the hotel late at night. Only guests can get in and they always have someone on duty, 24/7.
Also the café, located just left of the hotel doors, is incredibly convenient, had an excellent selection, and they were always open early! Overall, Hotel Ben exceeded our expectations and we definitely recommend it as the perfect place when coming to Amsterdam for a couple of nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We went to Amsterdam last weekend and stayed in Hotel Ben. As couple of posts below me I was a bit worried about the state of it as everyone was saying that it is not worth staying in there!! Couldn't be more wrong!

First - location - absolutely fabulous! Located 5 minute walk from the Centraal station and as it is within Red light District all that Amsterdam is famous for is within a walking distance

Second - Staff - Reception couldn't be more helpful. If you wish to know where anything is there all you have to do is ask them and they will show you on the map exactly where it is and how to get there. Also, couple of days beforehand I e-mailed the hotel to ask if we could leave the bags at the reception area as we were going to be in Amsterdam at 10.00a.m. and our room wouldn't be ready until 1.00. Again - there was no problem at all. They gave us our room number, stuck it to the side of baggage and issued bas back to us once we were ready to go into the room.

Third - cleanliness - Rooms are very standard to make it easy to clean. And in all fairness the room was spotless, bedding clean (if someone is complaining about the blankets - think again because wherever you go blankets are exactly the same but placed in duvet covers!!). Bathroom was nice, private toilet and shower (which is hard to come across in Amsterdam in budget hotel!) and plenty of soap and shampoo with clean towels.

I think the only downfall for me was the fact that our hotel was located right on the top floor (with no elevator) and from the tower side so every morning at 8.00a.m. we had bells waking us up every 15 mins - got used to it after a while.

Altogether, I would highly recommend this hotel who is planning on going to Amsterdam. It is cheap and cheerful and what more do you need?

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Exactly what is says on the Tin!!
Five of us stayed here for 3 nights, we wanted something easy and with no hassle.
This is what Hotel Ben delivered.
It's so super close to the station and within walking distance to all amenities.
Would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

My friends and I decided to go to Amsterdam as a late birthday present for my husband who turned 30 in January. There were eight of us in total, four boys and four girls. We left everything so last minute that when we booked the hotel and tickets as a package we didn’t even bother reading up about the hotel and went for the cheapest option. We travelled to Amsterdam in the first week of June and booked everything about three weeks before hand, costing £250 per person.

I was very hesitant when I later read the reviews about this hotel which was mostly negative. Lots of comments about how horrible it was, lots of mice everywhere and that the only good thing was its location. Having gone there myself, I couldn’t disagree more.
The hotel itself it located about 5 to 10 minutes’ walk away from the Metro station which you catch from the airport costing about 4 Euros per person. It’s located practically bang in the heart of lots of cool restaurants, coffee shops, the main street where all the trams run and the famous Grass Hopper and Babba coffee shop/ restaurant. The location is absolutely superb; everything is within walking distance which means you won’t have to pay a penny extra for transport.
The hotel is a one star hotel so you can’t really expect much but on the contrary the customer service is brilliant and the hotel itself isn’t at all bad for what it is. We were greeted with very helpful people at reception, giving great advice on where to go and what to avoid and everything was very smoothly organised for us. The only negative thing was to be told we were due to pay an extra 5 euros each as tax which we tried to argue our way out of but no chance.

The rooms are very standard but clean and reasonably comfortable, the shower has boiling hot water and you have sufficient supplies of shampoo dispensers and hand wash and lots of towels that are delivered freshly to your room daily. I was extremely shocked by this having gone to Mexico, Cancun and received a hotel not much different from this which called themselves 3 stars. The great thing is you are permitted to smoke in the room and advised to just do it near the window to avoid the smoke alarm fitted into per room. Four of us shared a room, all with separate single beds and it was fine. Our room faced the entrance side of the hotel and it was fab as the building in front of us was residential so we hardly got much loud noise in the evening. Upon departure you get to leave your luggage in the back room for free of charge until you wish to pick it up for when you leave.

Look out for a worker called Mustafa who is absolutely helpful and funny and really looks after you without a tip needed. This hotel might be one star but it definitely outdid my expectations by such good service. This definitely is worth what you pay for and with no mice anywhere to be seen………..we were all extremely happy on this gem. Amsterdam is absolutely gorgeous, full of character, great choice for food and lots to do – great shops, museums, coffee shops, bars and clubs. But be prepared it is London prices

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Trondheim, Norway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

If you consider this hotel, I would strongly recommend that you write a list of everything that you brought with you/shopped during the trip! I stayed there with a couple of girlfriends, and the last night I noticed that one of my bags was missing. I searched the room, with no luck, and then went to the reception to ask if they had mistaken it for trash when "cleaning" the room. The receptionist was not very accommodating, but called the man who had cleaned it. He claimed that he had never seen the bag, and had just taken out the trash. Funny thing was that the trash in the trash can was still there :) The receptionist was generally really unhelpful, and did not even offer me a "sorry". But, the weird thing was, ten minutes after my talk with him, a boy (his son?) showed up at my door with the bag. I was offered no explanation, and is left with a very bad feeling about this. Im not surprised if they see us 20-something girls coming in with lots of shopping bags every day, and think that we won`t notice if one or two is missing.

I can deal with staying in a low-standard hotel, with the hardest beds ever, but I will never stay here again because of this experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Easy to find. Rooms were ready when we arrived. Nice big room. Gave us free wifi passes when we got there. The staff were very helpful & friendly. Would use again & highly recommended. Only downside would be only one electrical socket in the room.

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Hotel Ben? Share your experiences!