“Compact but attractive hotel” 4 of 5 stars

NL Hotel District Leidseplein
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nassaukade 368, 1054 AB Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #124 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Compact but attractive hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here. The room was compact but was attractively laid out and had everything we needed (apart from a kettle). The staff were friendly and helpful but not obtrusive. As the hotel isn't staffed overnight and it doesn't have the usual lounge, spacious entrance area etc, it very much feels like you are renting a room and that suited us. It's in a good location for Leidseplein - close but on a quiet street. The 12 noon checkout on the last day suited us (we're not early risers) and we were able to leave our bags to collect later.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chalfont St. Giles, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Location good, just 5 mins walk from Leiseplein and the trams. Not too noisy considering where ii is and aircon was very welcome. Room fine but quite small. Breakfast definitely worthwhile. Stairs are very steep though, not suitable for the infirm in my opinion. Free wi-fi was an asset, it worked no trouble at all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had a great one night stay at this hotel. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. Rooms were small but well equipped. The breakfast was great and worth spending a little bit extra on. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Perfect room, in the basement at the back so had our own little terrace which was lovely! Comfy double bed and had a bath. Had everything we could have wanted for our trip and made the stay wonderful!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

We found the hotel to be very much as described in previous reviews. Reception staff are helpful and one can start any tour of Amsterdam on foot from here. The bad points we coped with include the narrow vertical staircase which is awkward with luggage and noise from a busy street early and late. The modern bathroom is really very good except for the crazy see through door. It seems Amsterdam hotels are expensive: the NL was dearer and weaker than hotels we have used in other cities but a lot cheaper than many Amsterdam offerings. We liked the aspect of room 7. I would not tolerate the front basement room.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed this hotel. The room was clean and modern. We had a small sitting area and the bed was large and comfortable. The staff was great. The young lady covering the reception area was just wonderful. She gave us a map and helped us with public transportation routes/options. We were able to leave our bags in the lobby after we checked out which was very helpful since we were taking an overnight train to our next destination. The hotel is located close to public transportation and several restaurants. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to visit Amsterdam!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights over the second Bank Holiday weekend in May. I had been through all the reviews on TripAdvisor and the information on the hotel's website, and decided I would go ahead and book.

The service was fabulous from the start! As soon as my booking went through, I received an e-mail from the hotel confirming my stay and letting me know that reception is not open 24/7, but if I let them know what time we'd be arriving someone would be there. They also sent information about check-in and check-out times as well as full details on how to get to them from the Airport. I did send them an e-mail letting them know our intended arrival time and asking for confirmation that we had booked a Comfort Room (as I didn't want a basement room without A/C) and they sent a prompt and very courteous response.

Before arriving at the hotel, I was most worried about the 2 things that most of the complaints on here seem to be about; 1) the stairs, 2) the doors to the bathroom. So I'll cover those in a minute, but before that I'd like to say that we arrived at the hotel a couple of hours before check-in, hoping to just leave our case and head out to lunch, but as our room was already prepared, we were allowed to check-in. There was a problem issuing our electronic room card, but we were still shown to our room and assured our room key would be ready when we returned and it was.

1) The stairs:
Our room (number 9) was on the first floor. Yes the stairs are steep and the tread is narrow, but we had a small suitcase and had no problems going up and down the stairs. I am an ME/CFS sufferer and often have problems walking and sometimes need to use a walking stick, but I got used to the stairs after the first day. Also, the hotel staff member offered to help us carry our suitcase and bags up to our room, but we managed on our own.

2) The bathroom doors:
I had read in reviews that the bathroom doors are glass and several other reviewers were uncomfortable by this. So I was worried about using the toilet etc with my partner on the other side of a glass door. I had though I would just drape a towel over the door (for some reason I though there would be a gap at the top - I have no idea why) but the door was from floor to ceiling. However, the toilet in our room was blocked by a wall, and the glass door had a pattern on it which obscured what was seen. Also, once the shower was on, the glass steamed up pretty quickly. I would have liked the shower cubicle to have had a shower curtain or something as water did get everywhere. But on the whole it was fine and my fears were unfounded.

The walls are very thin, so you may hear others in their rooms, but even though the hotel was fully-booked while we were this, this was no real problem. This is an old house that has been converted, not some boxy purpose built hotel block. I like the way it has been designed and furnished in a very modern way but manages to retain so much character. The rooms were impeccably clean and the staff, from reception to housekeeping were polite and helpful. The staff member who checked us in, even supplied us with a map and went through all the different places to eat, shop and places of interest to visit. There is a board with lots of vouchers for discounts in restaurants and entry to attractions.

It is in a great location and you can catch a bus (197) to and from the airport for 5 euros which stops just around the corner from the hotel. Our room was at the back on the first floor, so no view of the canal, but this was not a problem at all as we spent most of the day out, and all you see are canals. Also, we didn't hear any noise from the street where we were.

All in all, they delivered on what they promised and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back on the 1st floor are very quiet.