“Lovely Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #135 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights over the second Bank Holiday weekend in May. I had been through all the reviews on TripAdvisor and the information on the hotel's website, and decided I would go ahead and book.

The service was fabulous from the start! As soon as my booking went through, I received an e-mail from the hotel confirming my stay and letting me know that reception is not open 24/7, but if I let them know what time we'd be arriving someone would be there. They also sent information about check-in and check-out times as well as full details on how to get to them from the Airport. I did send them an e-mail letting them know our intended arrival time and asking for confirmation that we had booked a Comfort Room (as I didn't want a basement room without A/C) and they sent a prompt and very courteous response.

Before arriving at the hotel, I was most worried about the 2 things that most of the complaints on here seem to be about; 1) the stairs, 2) the doors to the bathroom. So I'll cover those in a minute, but before that I'd like to say that we arrived at the hotel a couple of hours before check-in, hoping to just leave our case and head out to lunch, but as our room was already prepared, we were allowed to check-in. There was a problem issuing our electronic room card, but we were still shown to our room and assured our room key would be ready when we returned and it was.

1) The stairs:
Our room (number 9) was on the first floor. Yes the stairs are steep and the tread is narrow, but we had a small suitcase and had no problems going up and down the stairs. I am an ME/CFS sufferer and often have problems walking and sometimes need to use a walking stick, but I got used to the stairs after the first day. Also, the hotel staff member offered to help us carry our suitcase and bags up to our room, but we managed on our own.

2) The bathroom doors:
I had read in reviews that the bathroom doors are glass and several other reviewers were uncomfortable by this. So I was worried about using the toilet etc with my partner on the other side of a glass door. I had though I would just drape a towel over the door (for some reason I though there would be a gap at the top - I have no idea why) but the door was from floor to ceiling. However, the toilet in our room was blocked by a wall, and the glass door had a pattern on it which obscured what was seen. Also, once the shower was on, the glass steamed up pretty quickly. I would have liked the shower cubicle to have had a shower curtain or something as water did get everywhere. But on the whole it was fine and my fears were unfounded.

The walls are very thin, so you may hear others in their rooms, but even though the hotel was fully-booked while we were this, this was no real problem. This is an old house that has been converted, not some boxy purpose built hotel block. I like the way it has been designed and furnished in a very modern way but manages to retain so much character. The rooms were impeccably clean and the staff, from reception to housekeeping were polite and helpful. The staff member who checked us in, even supplied us with a map and went through all the different places to eat, shop and places of interest to visit. There is a board with lots of vouchers for discounts in restaurants and entry to attractions.

It is in a great location and you can catch a bus (197) to and from the airport for 5 euros which stops just around the corner from the hotel. Our room was at the back on the first floor, so no view of the canal, but this was not a problem at all as we spent most of the day out, and all you see are canals. Also, we didn't hear any noise from the street where we were.

All in all, they delivered on what they promised and I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back on the 1st floor are very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

We had a great stay at NL Hotel. Our room was tastefully decorated, immaculately clean and well appointed. It had everything we needed and the service was excellent. Reception was very accommodating when we arrived after hours. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

perfict location , friendly staff, nice small hotel, but walls no soundproof at all . If you wake up early at 08:00 a clock , its match for you . We had plans to take a sleep little longer . But at the end, we enjoyed our stay .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Wife's birthday surprise short visit to Amsterdam. When we arrived to the hotel I was a "little" disappointing because the photos on line made it look better and bigger, however the people were nice and friendly, but ( for the obvious reasons) they don't mention on the website that the rooms are at the top of a VERY STEEP staircase (typical in Amsterdam buildings) and to be honest, we are in our 50s and only had small cabin bags, but if were older with larger bags we would/could have a bit of a problem.
The hotel is clean and the room has great coffee facilities which I loved.
Over all it is a 3 star hotel in Amsterdam, the rates reflects the Hotel (just!)
and so my review, therefore can not rate it more than 3 star either.

Advise to all visitors: mind the long queues to all attractions and try to by the tickets in advance online to save some time.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Iasi, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We reserved a triple room. The hotel was easy to find and the room was clean with towels replaced at need. Room cleaning was performed daily, replacing the dirty towels, providing coffee. The bed was very comfortable and the room nice and cozy.
The only problem were the glass bathroom doors which didn't isolate at all the noise (which was kind of disturbing).
The employees were kind and helpful to guide us to the best objectives and attractions of Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the first floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Weston Turville, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Great, cheap hotel. Very cosy rooms and comfy beds. Personally, I loved the location. 5 minute walk to Leidseplein Square and on bike (the hotel offer bikes to hire), all the other attractions are a 10/15 minute ride!
Sometimes I did feel like I was being watched by the people that worked there, but I did enjoy my stay.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I am currently staying at this hotel writing this review .

We arrived on the 7th April.
Check in was good and to greet us in the reception was Hank who was extremely friendly, polite and helpful, he provided all the information on the area.

Our room was up the spiral stairs (OMG they are horrific) on the 1st floor, but to be honest u only use them a couple of times a day so we could manage.
The room is number 9 and is lovely.
A typical boutique room. It had a lovely wet room, double bed which had been delivered new the day we arrived. A separate seating area to relax n watch tv if you need.

The hotel is just off the Leidsplein area in Amsterdam. It's quite a walk from the main attractions but you can get a tram from Leidsplein to all areas of Dam .

From the airport take bus 197 and it takes you into the Leidsplein area.
Tram 1,2or 5 takes you to central station. Dam square and the red light district

Well done to everyone who works here, you have a lovely little gem of a hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to NL Hotel District Leidseplein? Share your experiences!