“Beyond vile” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #136 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“Beyond vile”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having stayed in the city on half a dozen occasions my husband and myself have never had an issue with any of the hotels we have stayed in, this particular hotel however changed all that.
When we arrived we were led down what could only be described as the stairway to hell, the steepest descent i have ever personally encountered for stairs and with no hand rail and suitcases in tow we were lucky not to have broken our necks before we even got to our room.
The stairs were the nicest part.
The room was like a dungeon. Dark dingy and reeking of damp and urine.
It had plastic floors, was cold with no working heating and had a barred in window looking out to peoples feet on the street.
The bottom of the walls were covered in rising damp, even with every light switched on the place was still dark.
The "bathroom" barely located a foot from the bed did not even have a door but a glass partition which meant that i personally had to hold all bowel movements for our four day stay as the room being tiny as stinking as it was who wants to take a crap while their husband is sitting a foot away from you on the bed.
The bed, what a joke that was, was the lumpiest and most uncomfortable thing I've ever had the misfortune to lie upon, but that was the least of our worries considering the fact the sheets were ripped, the cushions had unidentified stains on them and there was a centipede living on my bedside table, not to mention and army of silverfish living in the bathroom.
All in all a dump, you couldn't pay me to set foot in the place again.
Oh yeah and if all of the above wasn't bad enough the room was directly located under reception meaning there was the constant racket of what could only be described as a heard of elephants.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, have no clue what their other rooms are like but you take the risk of ending up...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 1 night on the front end of a river cruise. Great location relative to walking to many of the Amsterdam sights, shopping, and restaurants. Room was small and hot. Staff was indifferent and we waited 3 hours for our room.
Breakfast was very good.
We paid $400 Cdn for the room which, in my opinion, was not good value for what we received.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed 3 nights for business. Had a room in the basement at the back, with a private "garden". The room was of a good size considering Amsterdam (rooms do tend to be small) and it was nicely decorated. We got fresh fruits in the room the second day, a really nice gesture :)

Breakfast is plated in the reception/kitchen/breakfast room - really amazing how much functionality they got into that one room! The food was good and offered quite a variety considering the small space.

Some people have made complaints about the steep stairs of this hotel. This did not bother us at all. Only negative thing I can think of was that as our room was in the basement it did have a slight moldy smell, but opening the door to the back garden and getting some fresh air in took care of that. We had no problems with traffic noise (room away from the street).

The highlight of this hotel is the generous and friendly staff. Such a genuine and friendly a welcome we have rarely experienced. Felt really well taken care of!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the NL Hotel. Staff was ok. The room was small but nice. The bathroom had a good size, however, it got flooded every time we took a shower due to the lack of a door. I probably wouldn't stay there anymore as there must be better options for the price they charge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

lovely quaint room. small but big enough for two. lovely, clean great staff. very helpful.

my complaint is the bathroom door was unlockable and see through and had gaps and the top and bottom. great if you are a couple but if not its very invasive?

the noise between 7am and 9pm is outragious if you are on the downstairs floor.

stairs are very steep! especially on the way downstairs they spiral.

Room Tip: try and get a room on the top floor if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Herning, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel last weekend. Great location & decent breakfast. On Friday night after checking in; we asked if it was possible to move from the front basement room to another room as we found the noise from the busy street really loud & irritating. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked so this was not an option. So we “bit the bullet”; popped in the ear plugs and went to bed late Friday night. Saturday morning 06:30: It sounded like a herd of elephants; with ear plugs in. The reason being that ROOM 2; is directly under the reception and breakfast area. When we once again asked another reception clerk if there was a room available because the noise from the guests going to and from breakfast was really annoying; he said they did actually have a room ; number 3 was available BUT we had to pay house cleaning because we wanted to move. This is where my heading “unreasonable” comes into play. When I asked the clerk if he had had complaints about the noise in this room before; he said YES. We paid €300 for Saturday night due to the city being full. When I mentioned €300 for the night and I thought it unreasonable to have to pay on top of this for an obvious “hotel defect”; he shrugged his shoulders and said; you want to move; you pay; it’s company policy. I run a small company that exports to 30 countries so travel extensively. Never before have I been asked to pay for moving within a hotel; even if there was absolutely nothing wrong with the room. So I believe NL Hotels policy is “unreasonable”; €500 for two nights and I was expected to pay housekeeping when it was the hotel's "known defect" that actually inconvenienced us!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Amsterdam, like all European cities, is pretty expensive for accommodation. This hotel is located in a great spot for the centre without being too close to get the noise of the bars or trams rumbling by. Unfortunately I asked for a canal view, which meant being on the main road of a pretty busy road outside the front of the hotel. The noise from passing traffic was loud, so I'm glad I had my earplugs with me.
The rooms are clean and well decorated. The shower room was clean although the glass doors don't shut out the noise so you get it from both windows in the main room and the bathroom. The aircon unit was really effective, just a shame no one showed us how to use it on the first night so we were really hot the first night. Luckily the second night we asked how to get it to work (needs the key inserting into a slot beneath the unit)
Didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on that.
Overall it was relatively cheap (£120 a night so I stress 'relatively') compared to other Amsterdam hotels (we booked it in June for August 24th stay), the staff were friendly, and the location I'd excellent. Perhaps a room at the back, off the main road would have been quieter. The stairs are also steep, but this is Holland after all!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to NL Hotel District Leidseplein? Share your experiences!