“Brilliant Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pax

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pax to your Saves list
Hotel Pax
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raadhuisstraat 37, 2042 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #133 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I've just returned from a 3 night stay and I can't praise it highly enough. It's in a great location within walking distance to Dam Square and less than a 5 min stroll to Anne Frank's house. I have to mention the stairs, they are very steep but all part of the charm. The rooms are well equipped and spotlessly clean and fresh towels are provided daily. I will definitely recommend the Hotel Pax and when I return to Amsterdam I will book here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to reluctantly cancel our stay 3 days before we were due to arrive. Despite this we were still charged 90 euros for the first night's stay. I understand that rules apply to these things, but a credit note or refund would have been much more customer friendly. Be aware if you book, your right to cancel is very limited.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

If you want somewhere close to the red light and party districts of Amsterdam, but far enough away for a great nights sleep, this is your place! We arrived a little after 10pm, but the man at reception was still very welcoming and made us feel at home.

The room was massive, with only 3 single beds in it plus a hand basin to brush your teeth at. Towels and linen were supplied, and to our suprise there was a daily cleaning service (it seemed more dorm room than hotel). It is about a 7-10min walk into the main shopping and red light districts, and has both tram and bus stops close by!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here in my trip to Amsterdam.

Pro:
-It is a clean and quiet place. Especially the bathroom.
-It is near to tram station. I took train from Schipol airport to Lelylaan station. then took Tram 17 to Westmarkt station. After i dropped off from the station, walk to left for 2 min and i found it. Quiet easy to get there. Plus the location is very near to Dam square and all tourist hotspots and Albert Heijn for groceries and food/drinks.

Con: A lot stairs! Take it if you are ok work out, leave it if you are reluctant to use steep stairs.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cairo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I have stayed in Hotel Pax for 6 nights in November 2013. I have selected this place based on the good reviews and rating scores on different websites and my selection was not bad. I have made my reservation via booking.com 3 months before my planned trip date which saved me some good amount of money. The reservation and confirmation process was very smooth.
I got a basic small room in the first floor. My room has washing basin, fridge, heater, small TV (almost useless). The room also has free Wi-Fi (was not stable for few days).Toilet and shower are shared with other 3 rooms in the same floor.
The apartment is in the heart of Amsterdam City Centre and is very close to the Dam Square, Anne Frank House, and many other attractions. Only 7 minutes walking distance to the famous Red Light District.
The locations is only 100 meters walking distance to the nearest bus/tram station (Westermarket). Transportation could never be that easy.
If you are coming from the airport, take a train (EUR 4.40) to Amsterdam Central Station and then take Tram 13 or 17 and stop by Westermarket.
The hotel is located in a large building that hosts many similar hotels. You have to ring a bell to get the main small door opened and then you have to climb around 50 steep and narrow stairs in order to get to the small reception. It is very hard to lift luggage but this is the design for most of Amsterdam old houses and hotels.
The person at the reception was helpful enough. He gave me the city map and explained where and how to go. Since my room was not yet ready as I arrived early, he offered to put my luggage in a locked room and then he placed them in my room when it was ready.
The hotel is ideal for young people who are just looking for a bed and have no issues in sharing bathrooms. Overall very good value of money and good choice for budget travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not beside the stairs or the shared toilet to avoid the noise from people goi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last Saturday and Sunday night in a single room with my own private bathroom. Room number 22. I can't fault anything in this hotel. Immaculately clean, fresh towels on day 2, friendly staff, location is fantastic and the price even better :-) I had a great time here and would definitely stay again. :-)

• Stayed November 2013
Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The price was so good for the location. This place is right on the tram route between Dam and Westkerk. I walked to Anne Frank House in like 5 minutes. I had a tiny single room with a twin bed and ensuite bathroom. There was a wardrobe with a mini-fridge and a tiny flat-screen TV (which I never switched on). The staff were so welcoming. I arrived fairly late after getting a bit lost in the dark and rain, but the guy at reception was so nice and helpful - he carried my luggage up to the 4th floor.

This was my first visit to Amsterdam. I'm already planning a return visit and am disappointed that Hotel Pax is fully booked for that date. I think the secret is out!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Pax? Share your experiences!