“Clean” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pax

Save Saved
You added Hotel Pax to your Saves list
Hotel Pax
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raadhuisstraat 37, Amsterdam 2042, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #136 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here in my trip to Amsterdam.

Pro:
-It is a clean and quiet place. Especially the bathroom.
-It is near to tram station. I took train from Schipol airport to Lelylaan station. then took Tram 17 to Westmarkt station. After i dropped off from the station, walk to left for 2 min and i found it. Quiet easy to get there. Plus the location is very near to Dam square and all tourist hotspots and Albert Heijn for groceries and food/drinks.

Con: A lot stairs! Take it if you are ok work out, leave it if you are reluctant to use steep stairs.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

77 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Cairo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I have stayed in Hotel Pax for 6 nights in November 2013. I have selected this place based on the good reviews and rating scores on different websites and my selection was not bad. I have made my reservation via booking.com 3 months before my planned trip date which saved me some good amount of money. The reservation and confirmation process was very smooth.
I got a basic small room in the first floor. My room has washing basin, fridge, heater, small TV (almost useless). The room also has free Wi-Fi (was not stable for few days).Toilet and shower are shared with other 3 rooms in the same floor.
The apartment is in the heart of Amsterdam City Centre and is very close to the Dam Square, Anne Frank House, and many other attractions. Only 7 minutes walking distance to the famous Red Light District.
The locations is only 100 meters walking distance to the nearest bus/tram station (Westermarket). Transportation could never be that easy.
If you are coming from the airport, take a train (EUR 4.40) to Amsterdam Central Station and then take Tram 13 or 17 and stop by Westermarket.
The hotel is located in a large building that hosts many similar hotels. You have to ring a bell to get the main small door opened and then you have to climb around 50 steep and narrow stairs in order to get to the small reception. It is very hard to lift luggage but this is the design for most of Amsterdam old houses and hotels.
The person at the reception was helpful enough. He gave me the city map and explained where and how to go. Since my room was not yet ready as I arrived early, he offered to put my luggage in a locked room and then he placed them in my room when it was ready.
The hotel is ideal for young people who are just looking for a bed and have no issues in sharing bathrooms. Overall very good value of money and good choice for budget travelers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not beside the stairs or the shared toilet to avoid the noise from people goi...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last Saturday and Sunday night in a single room with my own private bathroom. Room number 22. I can't fault anything in this hotel. Immaculately clean, fresh towels on day 2, friendly staff, location is fantastic and the price even better :-) I had a great time here and would definitely stay again. :-)

• Stayed November 2013
Virginia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

The price was so good for the location. This place is right on the tram route between Dam and Westkerk. I walked to Anne Frank House in like 5 minutes. I had a tiny single room with a twin bed and ensuite bathroom. There was a wardrobe with a mini-fridge and a tiny flat-screen TV (which I never switched on). The staff were so welcoming. I arrived fairly late after getting a bit lost in the dark and rain, but the guy at reception was so nice and helpful - he carried my luggage up to the 4th floor.

This was my first visit to Amsterdam. I'm already planning a return visit and am disappointed that Hotel Pax is fully booked for that date. I think the secret is out!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
BloomingL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My fifth time in Amsterdam but the first time I actually stayed in the city. I booked this hotel because it seemed to be very central and Tripadvisor reviews were good, although the pictures made it look very basic (looked like camp beds in the photo's).

I was so pleasantly surprised by the reality - very clean with comfortable beds and such a fantastic location. It's so central, with trams that go straight from Central Station to Westerkerk (church two minutes walk from the hotel in the same road, just past the hotel). We walked to the hotel but got a tram back on our last day as we had a 24 hour tram card still to use.

Reviews of the stairs almost put me off, as I'm an older (44) not particularly fit person but I had no problem whatsoever.

The only reason I haven't given this an excellent rating is because of the mosquitos in our room. I'm not sure what they could do to stop this though, as we had problems shutting the windows to keep them out. All in all though, I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again when I next visit Amsterdam.

Room Tip: No traffic sounds at the back of the hotel and our personal shower was great - room on the main hote...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hotel Pax is a cute, clean place to stay, and the location is absolutely superb. It's right on a major street between Anne Frank House and Dam Square. Lots to see and do, all within walking distance. From Central Station, it was only 2 short tram stops, then a 4 minute walk at most. There's also a supermarket up the next block across from Westerkerk Church. The hotel offers great customer service with all the basic conveniences, and a few extra touches. I would definitely stay here again.

My #15 room was for a single traveler (twin bed) with a shared bathroom between 4 rooms. Towels are provided but bring your own toiletries. No AC, but has a large window that you can open. I could hear the church bells in the distance and I found them a pleasant reminder that I'm in a fabulous European city with a lot of history.

Room Amenities (Single/twin bed with shared bathroom):
FREE in-room wifi that worked flawlessly
Mini-fridge
Water kettle and Nescafé instant espresso, tea bags, powdered creamer/sugar
Small TV (I didn't turn this on or use at all)
In-room sink with mirror
Window that opens (no screen) with thick drapes that blocked out most of the sun

Hotel character and charm: the outside of this building is photo-worthy with various gargoyles staking out their territories on the roof top, plus pretty balconies and ornate facade detailing. When you see the outside, then you understand those stairs on the inside. Inside, there's some cute modern styling efforts, high ceilings, and funky light fixtures. The wood floors in my room looked brand new. The room was very tidy and clean; the bed was make up with clean, crisp white sheets.

Great customer service: The host helped me with my bag (SWEET) and seemed genuinely happy to greet a hotel guest. Due to the early morning hour of my arrival, no rooms were ready yet. He offered to store my bag for me, then bring it up to the room when it was ready. Without me even asking, he gave me a city map and marked off a few nearby recommendations (breakfast places, supermarket, etc) which I found very helpful. Luggage storage is no problem upon check out either, if your flight or train leaves later in the day. The rooms are serviced daily, towels changed, and the coffee/tea station was replenished.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

1st time in amsterdam with the wife and we had a superb time...hotels location is superb and we loved our stay here....
2 mins from dam square...
we walked from the central station to hotel as well which only took about 15 mins...pubs

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hotel Pax? Share your experiences!