“Fab location and hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pax

You added Hotel Pax to your Saves list
Hotel Pax
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raadhuisstraat 37, 2042 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #105 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
BloomingL
“Fab location and hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My fifth time in Amsterdam but the first time I actually stayed in the city. I booked this hotel because it seemed to be very central and Tripadvisor reviews were good, although the pictures made it look very basic (looked like camp beds in the photo's).

I was so pleasantly surprised by the reality - very clean with comfortable beds and such a fantastic location. It's so central, with trams that go straight from Central Station to Westerkerk (church two minutes walk from the hotel in the same road, just past the hotel). We walked to the hotel but got a tram back on our last day as we had a 24 hour tram card still to use.

Reviews of the stairs almost put me off, as I'm an older (44) not particularly fit person but I had no problem whatsoever.

The only reason I haven't given this an excellent rating is because of the mosquitos in our room. I'm not sure what they could do to stop this though, as we had problems shutting the windows to keep them out. All in all though, I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again when I next visit Amsterdam.

Room Tip: No traffic sounds at the back of the hotel and our personal shower was great - room on the main hote...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hotel Pax is a cute, clean place to stay, and the location is absolutely superb. It's right on a major street between Anne Frank House and Dam Square. Lots to see and do, all within walking distance. From Central Station, it was only 2 short tram stops, then a 4 minute walk at most. There's also a supermarket up the next block across from Westerkerk Church. The hotel offers great customer service with all the basic conveniences, and a few extra touches. I would definitely stay here again.

My #15 room was for a single traveler (twin bed) with a shared bathroom between 4 rooms. Towels are provided but bring your own toiletries. No AC, but has a large window that you can open. I could hear the church bells in the distance and I found them a pleasant reminder that I'm in a fabulous European city with a lot of history.

Room Amenities (Single/twin bed with shared bathroom):
FREE in-room wifi that worked flawlessly
Mini-fridge
Water kettle and Nescafé instant espresso, tea bags, powdered creamer/sugar
Small TV (I didn't turn this on or use at all)
In-room sink with mirror
Window that opens (no screen) with thick drapes that blocked out most of the sun

Hotel character and charm: the outside of this building is photo-worthy with various gargoyles staking out their territories on the roof top, plus pretty balconies and ornate facade detailing. When you see the outside, then you understand those stairs on the inside. Inside, there's some cute modern styling efforts, high ceilings, and funky light fixtures. The wood floors in my room looked brand new. The room was very tidy and clean; the bed was make up with clean, crisp white sheets.

Great customer service: The host helped me with my bag (SWEET) and seemed genuinely happy to greet a hotel guest. Due to the early morning hour of my arrival, no rooms were ready yet. He offered to store my bag for me, then bring it up to the room when it was ready. Without me even asking, he gave me a city map and marked off a few nearby recommendations (breakfast places, supermarket, etc) which I found very helpful. Luggage storage is no problem upon check out either, if your flight or train leaves later in the day. The rooms are serviced daily, towels changed, and the coffee/tea station was replenished.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Greenock, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

1st time in amsterdam with the wife and we had a superb time...hotels location is superb and we loved our stay here....
2 mins from dam square...
we walked from the central station to hotel as well which only took about 15 mins...pubs

• Stayed June 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at hotel pax in a private room with shared bathroom for 4 nights. The hotel staff were friendly and there at the ring of a bell if you needed them. The hotel was always clean, I saw them cleaning everything (including showers & bathrooms) on a daily basis. I got fresh towels every day and my room was small but had its own sink, kettle & fridge which was very useful. The location was great & safe, close to everything! It was also fairly quiet at night, you did hear the occasional bell of people ringing to get in from downstairs & church bells but nothing that kept me up all night.

There are a lot of stairs like people said. That's why I travel with a backpack to Europe. Good luck finding a budget hotel that isn't like this!

Stayed May 2013
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If price, basic accomodation and location is all you need, PAX is good for you. We stayed 4 people in a 4 people room which was ok. Small toilet and a separate bathroom without toilet. Breakfast comes to the door in the mornings. Not the cleanest but ok to bear for a few days. The good side is the bargain price as everyone says. The bad sides are, the super steep steps in the enterance that needs to be watched out if you are high or drunk or just reckless, student dorm-like atmosphere and backpackers (They may be annoying for some with tons of noise and smoke in the corridors :) Again, dorm like rooms that are not the best looking ones. I dont wanna say I wouldnt recommend the place as I am well aware of the specific customer profile for this place. I personally wouln't go :) I am sure its a heaven for free spirit, camp sleeping adventurous folks.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

As far as budget hotels go, this is about as good as you'll get in Amsterdam. Pax is a two minute walk from the Dam Square on one direction, and the Anne Frank Huis and nearest canal bus stops are the same distance in the opposite direction. The hotel is quite cheap but unlike a lot of cheap hotels it has lovely decor and is very clean. The room we stayed in wasn't exactly spacious but it did have a balcony - very good for people watching - and a large shower room.
Breakfast is not included but Sara's Pancakes, Jennifer's Croissanterie and Bagels and Beans, all on the same road as Pax, offer wide selections of cheap breakfast dishes.
All in all, we didn't spend much time at the hotel but found it easy to get to from anywhere in town, easy to get into since we were given out own key, and generally very pleasant to sleep in. There's very little noise from the street below and my only complaint is that for the below-zero temperatures we experienced the single fleece blanket we were provided with was somewhat insufficient!
Stay in pax if you are in Amsterdam to explore on a budget, for sure.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This was my first deployment to 'Dam and Hotel Pax would be my base.

The hotel is strategically well-located half-a-click south-west-west of the city square. It's the perfect spot to launch your assault on the museums and nightlife/afternoonlife alike. Pax was (and still is, I assume) a short march from the train station. This also includes a steep march up about 40 stairs to reception.

Our horizontal bunk bed took up most of the room, with it being about as far away from one wall as you are from this screen. There was also a bar fridge in which we kept our rations of alcohol and chocolate, and we were able to write letters to our loved-ones back home with the free Wi-Fi, which was handy.

R&R was sometimes difficult due to hostiles in the apartment downstairs that fired up the sound system at all hours, but that wasn't Pax's fault.

We lost a lot of good men and women to the coffeeshops of 'dam, but we gained a hotel we'd visit again.

Been to Hotel Pax? Share your experiences!