“Clean, Safe & Welcoming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pax

You added Hotel Pax to your Saves list
Hotel Pax
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raadhuisstraat 37, 2042 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #104 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Pula, Croatia
“Clean, Safe & Welcoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Okay, the stair really are ROUGH, but that's not a big deal given the fact that - it's Amsterdam! - all the stairs are more or less the same and awful (good for your work out).

The hotel owner is unbelievebly nice, professional and helpful. He made our stay a nice memory, thanks for that.

Since this is a one star hotel you cannot really expect much (there aren't many amenities to begin), but this place has everything that you can ask from a budget hotel. It's very clean, safe, warm (excually, it's too warm, we had to keep our window open all the time), it has free wifi and a delightful owner.

My only bigger problem was sleep quality. The beds are far from comfortable, they're, in fact, hospital or army bed - I'm not sure. And I'm sorry that we had to share a bathroom and the toilet - the next time I stay there I'll make sure I take the room with a bathroom and a toilet.

The best thing about the hotel was it's location. It's located in the very heart of Amsterdam, behind The Dam Square. All bigger tourist sites were in walking distance.

All in all it was a very pleasent experience and I would stay there again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Bottom line:

1) The hotel owner is SUUUUUUUPER nice and helpful. That goes a long way.

2) Rooms are clean but VERY small.

3) If you're traveling on a budget or backpacking around Europe, this is a great hotel. If you're wanting some comfort and a quiet hotel with some amenities, this is not for you.

4) You will hear street noise all the time, as it sits on a main road.

5) There are not a lot of fancy amenities, but again, this is a hotel designed for the backpacker and younger people trekking across Europe. It's a roof over your head with a very nice owner and a reasonable price. If you want a fancier hotel, look elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Pax this past November which was my second stay. I arrived at the hotel around 9:30 and my room was ready. As on my previous trip in 2010, I had room 15. Everything was the same with one exception, there is now free wifi!
I would recommend Hotel Pax to anyone looking for clean, safe and basic accommodation. I am also happy to report that the reno in a canal house across the courtyard is done.

Room Tip: If you want a little more peace and quiet, ask for a room facing the courtyard. If you have a balcon...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Θεσσαλονίκη, Ελλάδα
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel was a pleasant surprise! The stairs were a bit rough, especially when you return to the hotel tired, but the staff was amazing and helpful. It had no restaurant but we new that from the start. Very clean and cosy enough. We had our own bathroom but not all of the rooms had one. Anyway, it was a great experience and if I ever go to Amsterdam again, that will be the place I'll be staying in!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We landed in Amsterdam without any hotel bookings. The tourist office offered us this hotel and we were very glad to have stayed here. It is centrally located with the Dam square just 5-8mins by walk. Anne Frank's house is just 2 mins away. Just have to be aware that this is 1star hotel so no lift. We carried our bulky suitcases up 3 floors through the narrow and steep staircases. The helpful receptionist/owner offered us to help us with one so that was really nice. Excellent value for money as we paid € 75 for a night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Hotel Pax is a quite decent place to stay for a few days in Amsterdam. The Hotel and the room also where very small, but it was clean and we really enjoyed our stay there. Everyday we had fresh towels which quite suprised me. Also the owner was very friendly and answered all the questions we had about where to go. We spontaniously decided to stay a night longer - this was no problem and was handled very incomplicated. As the hotel is right in the city center you reach many sights, restaurants and bars in only a few minutes. Anne Frank Huis is just a stone's throw a way. There is also a tram station very close by the hotel. I would recommend to rent a bicyle - there is one just arround the corner. I would recommend Hotel Pax at any time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Arlington, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Hotel was hidden but not a far distant from the train station. The hotel staff were nice and charming. Rooms were big enough for beds but that wasn't a problem since our main purpose in Amsterdam was to explore. The community bathroom and shower proved to be no problem. For the price, this little hotel is a good find.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Pax? Share your experiences!