“Hickory Dickory Dock” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders

Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders
You added Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders to your Saves list
Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders
Ruijsdaelkade 109 hs / Gerard Doustraat 8, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #103 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Hickory Dickory Dock”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We weren't expecting too much as it was a fairly cheap stay (about €800 for a two bedroom apartment for 5 nights). Location-wise, these apartments were good - situated in a quiet neighbourhood a short tram ride away from Amsterdam Centraal Station. The apartment itself was of a fair size but in fairly bad repair and with a very small shower/toilet cubicle.

Our real concerns were leveled at the lack of cleanliness in the flat. Although the linen was clean, when we first arrived we were particularly concerned by the sheer amount of mousetraps (four if I can remember). There were also mouse droppings under the table. The kitchen was also in a fairly dirty condition and there was lots of dust.

We asked Alexander for an alternative apartment but he said all his apartments had mice and told us to come back if we saw one. Therefore we stuck with the one we had and on the second day of our stay we awoke to find a dead mouse. We decided to check out three nights early. On asking for a refund he said he would not oblige as we did not accept transfer to alternative accommodation. Our refusal to move to alternative accommodation was due to the fact that he said they all had mice!

The free WiFi was great but temperamental so made it difficult to do work.

Great location and these could be well looked after, but with such a lack of cleanliness I was not surprised the mice had moved in. In the end we moved to an alternative hotel and had a great stay - if feeling a little out of pocket.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
hades, hell
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

The service at this place was some of the worst i've ever seen. The staff neglected to mention that the hallway doors lock from the inside, so when i left without a key I was trapped in the hallway for half an hour. After waiting for some time in a hot and poorly ventilated stairwell (as well as knocking on the only two doors available) I began banging on the walls to try to get someone's attention in the office next door. When the manager finally came over to let me out he had the nerve to get mad at me for making noise! He was exceedingly rude and pompous, saying that I should have waited even longer for the next person to come by, as if I didn't have anything better to do than sit in a stairwell on my vacation. I had no phone service(American phone), and no one coming back any time soon, so I had absolutely no other recourse in the situation than to call for help. The staff should have been apologetic since this was THEIR fault but instead they were surly and combative as if I was doing something wrong. When I asked for an apology the following day I was refused again by this haughty manager/owner who clearly has no idea how to act in the service industry. It doesn't matter what the facilities are like(which wasn't stellar to begin with); no one deserves to be treated like this. The manager/owner, Alex Van Ballegoijen, is outrageously rude and if you want to be treated with the basic decency due to any human being then stay away from this place.

• Stayed August 2009
Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Location 3 Da Costastraat 78. 1st floor apartment sleeping 5. Not in any of the photos shown in the advert and now I know why. The only positive thing was the space as it was 2 apts with the partition opened. I don't mind basic but I expect cleanliness no matter what the price is. The place stinks of damp and the blue carpet is filthy. We had to clean the kettle, toaster, dishes, utensils before use. There was water coming from the apartment above the kitchen. The beds are guest beds and mine was broken and wobbly. The whole place gave me the heeby jeebies and I am still scratching myself at the thought of it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

We stayed in location 2 for three nights last week.
My biggest problem with the apartment we stayed in was the smell. The bedroom itself wasnt too bad but the communal areas smelled rancid.
The apartment was very basic. The bed was uncomfortable and the bedding was questionable. The shower was unimpressive and there was no toilet roll.
However, the location of the apartment was good (not far from the Anne Frank house). And there was no checkout time on the day we left.
As someone has said before me, this wasn't the worst place in the world but for the money you could stay somewhere much nicer.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

All right, here is my bizarre history with Alexander's Apartments Amsterdam.

We stayed in location 3-- 10 of us, which we were told would be good for 2 apartments. The prices are pretty high, considering what you're getting--real Dutch housing. That means the stairs are steep, the water isn't hot until you turn the heater on, etc. When we got there, there was clearly not enough space for 10 people in 2 apartments, so AAA was nice and gave us one more apartment for free! We liked that. However, the place was just nasty-- the pull out beds werent clean, there werent enough sheets, the shower didn't work in one of them. After 1 day, we adjusted and sucked it up. However, for the price, we could have stayed someone nicer for sure. Also, the guy who showed us in was really sketchy, and he didn't show us how anything worked. That made our first night crappy.Still, they were accommodating, and someone came quickly to fix the shower that was broken, etc. I wouldn't do it again, but it wasn't the worst place ever.

• Liked — Where it was
  • Disliked — The dirtyness and the oddness of the apartment in general
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

Although the flat was clean and the guy who showed us round was very pleasant, it was most disconcerting to find all kinds of junk in the cupboards, including all the kitchen cupboards filled with food that looked as if it had been left behind by permanent tenants who had been thrown out in a hurry! The toilet/shower was matchbox-sized with a sink the size of an egg cup. The area was OK, supermarket round the corner and a good cafe just up the road, around 15 mins. walk to the centre. The place looks pretty awful from the outside (boarded up bakery underneath) and the notice on the door of the flat advised us not to allow people in who claimed to be "friends" but would actually be out to fleece us!!
It would have been nice to relax, but there wasn't so much as an armchair to sit on (just dining chairs) and the beds were too low to relax on comfortably. Most of the dining table was taken up with the most hideous artificial flower arrangement I have ever seen!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

There are four different locations of alexanders apartments. I stayed at wittenburgerstraat.

We were a family of four in Amsterdam for 10 days. Budget was our main concern. Alexanders is very cheap, we paid 1100 euros for ten nights for a 2 bedroom apartment (although the second bedroom is a tiny single bedroom). The kitchen has recently been remodeled, the bathroom was fantastic. The bedrooms and lounge were a bit tired tired, but very clean. the washing machine was broken for the time we were there, but there was a terrific laundromat down the road. I went there twice and met all the locals. The website is woeful, and the staff pretty slow to respond to emails, but persevere because it is a good deal.

The location was lovely. On google maps it looks like is on a major highway, not a bit. Just a local road. you are on the edge of central amsterdam, about 20 mins walk from central station and 20 mins from dam square, but it is such a lovely walk it doesn't feel like too much of a chore.

There is a butchers downstairs, a small supermarket open till 10 everynight a couple of doors away, a small art gallery down the street, a couple of quiet bars, and lots of trees.

If you are in amsterdam for a while and budget is a serious consideration you are not missing out on anything by staying here.

• Liked — lovely leafy area, lookingout over the canal from the kitchen
  • Disliked — too much furniture
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders? Share your experiences!