“Small but nice” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders to your Saves list
Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders
Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders
Ruijsdaelkade 109 hs / Gerard Doustraat 8, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #119 of 303 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
“Small but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

It's not a typical hotel - it looks more like a normal family house that was sudenlly converted into a hotel. I had old videocassetes and cd's in the room :). Rooms are quite small, but comfy. Great location, near the city center and prices are good. Also, every room has a quitar! :) Be aware, that stairs are quite steep.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The appartment was nice and furnished, close to the City center by foot. Had a good moment in the apartment and the owner was available in case of any question or problem. Location recommended when staying in Amsterdam.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Im not sure why this place gets such bad reviews! We booked through Booking.com and the reviews on there are quite good, so was surprised to see the TripAdvisor ratings so bad. We stayed in the apartment round the corner from the check in address and it was just wonderful. As the pictures so, nice and big, airy and very clean and tidy. It all seems very new, lovely orange colour scheme to go with the Dutch theme. There was a great kitchen facility, with everything you need including a coffee machine. The bathrooms were clean with a separate toilet and sink too. Free wifi was great too. The apartment is just off a canal, so was great to pull out the tables and chairs from the courtyard our the back and sit out the front in the afternoon sun. The apartment itself is in a great location, very accessible to trams. There are some lovely restaurants nearby including a fantastic patisserie/cafe and a huge market. The only downfall I would say is the flat upstairs were sometimes loud, however we stayed over the Queens Day holiday so I could only assume it was because of festive jolliness!

Room Tip: As it is not provided, bring or buy some milk to go with your tea/coffee!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Athens, Greece
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Nice place to stay when you visit Amsterdam for holidays with friends.
Close to bus stations
really close to major sightseeing.
clean and comfortable room and nice and clean bathroom
Quiet room and nice personnel
propably will visit again if i ever come back in Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We weren't expecting too much as it was a fairly cheap stay (about €800 for a two bedroom apartment for 5 nights). Location-wise, these apartments were good - situated in a quiet neighbourhood a short tram ride away from Amsterdam Centraal Station. The apartment itself was of a fair size but in fairly bad repair and with a very small shower/toilet cubicle.

Our real concerns were leveled at the lack of cleanliness in the flat. Although the linen was clean, when we first arrived we were particularly concerned by the sheer amount of mousetraps (four if I can remember). There were also mouse droppings under the table. The kitchen was also in a fairly dirty condition and there was lots of dust.

We asked Alexander for an alternative apartment but he said all his apartments had mice and told us to come back if we saw one. Therefore we stuck with the one we had and on the second day of our stay we awoke to find a dead mouse. We decided to check out three nights early. On asking for a refund he said he would not oblige as we did not accept transfer to alternative accommodation. Our refusal to move to alternative accommodation was due to the fact that he said they all had mice!

The free WiFi was great but temperamental so made it difficult to do work.

Great location and these could be well looked after, but with such a lack of cleanliness I was not surprised the mice had moved in. In the end we moved to an alternative hotel and had a great stay - if feeling a little out of pocket.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
hades, hell
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

The service at this place was some of the worst i've ever seen. The staff neglected to mention that the hallway doors lock from the inside, so when i left without a key I was trapped in the hallway for half an hour. After waiting for some time in a hot and poorly ventilated stairwell (as well as knocking on the only two doors available) I began banging on the walls to try to get someone's attention in the office next door. When the manager finally came over to let me out he had the nerve to get mad at me for making noise! He was exceedingly rude and pompous, saying that I should have waited even longer for the next person to come by, as if I didn't have anything better to do than sit in a stairwell on my vacation. I had no phone service(American phone), and no one coming back any time soon, so I had absolutely no other recourse in the situation than to call for help. The staff should have been apologetic since this was THEIR fault but instead they were surly and combative as if I was doing something wrong. When I asked for an apology the following day I was refused again by this haughty manager/owner who clearly has no idea how to act in the service industry. It doesn't matter what the facilities are like(which wasn't stellar to begin with); no one deserves to be treated like this. The manager/owner, Alex Van Ballegoijen, is outrageously rude and if you want to be treated with the basic decency due to any human being then stay away from this place.

• Stayed August 2009
Herts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

Location 3 Da Costastraat 78. 1st floor apartment sleeping 5. Not in any of the photos shown in the advert and now I know why. The only positive thing was the space as it was 2 apts with the partition opened. I don't mind basic but I expect cleanliness no matter what the price is. The place stinks of damp and the blue carpet is filthy. We had to clean the kettle, toaster, dishes, utensils before use. There was water coming from the apartment above the kitchen. The beds are guest beds and mine was broken and wobbly. The whole place gave me the heeby jeebies and I am still scratching myself at the thought of it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Amsterdam Apartments Alexanders? Share your experiences!