“The most expensive hotel per square meter I have ever visited!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Quentin Amsterdam Hotel to your Saves list
Quentin Amsterdam Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 89, 1017 PN Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #282 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
“The most expensive hotel per square meter I have ever visited!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Although i agree that the location of the hotel is really convenient, as it's walking distance from the city centre and museums, and i certainly think that the accommodation would be totally appropriate for Eur50-60 per night. But having paid Eur 250 per night for a 6m2 room where i could touch the walls with both hands at the same time was quite shocking.
The rooms are equipped with mere basics such as water glasses. There was not a sign of a kettle! The ironing board was so tiny that was nearly impossible to use and even then there was no place to put it! There is also no breakfast included and the one provided at additional cost although tastes OK is far too expensive for what it is. So my advice would be to go to this hotel only if you travel for pleasure (not business), have lots of spare cash and really like tiny spaces.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Nellson_Soares2013, Front Office Manager at Quentin Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

Comments from our guests are extremely important, allowing us to identify our strengths and highlight opportunities for improvement.
I am so sorry to hear your stay with us was so disappointing.
I appreciate your honesty and would like to take this opportunity to address all of your concerns.

I completely understand your disappointment in regards to bed situation but the layout of all our Economy rooms is indeed compact.
I apologise that we were unable to offer you other room options, due to the hotel running at very high occupancy during your stay.
We are currently already working on a full refurbishment of all rooms in the hotel as well as updating our rooms with new bedding, amenities and equipment.
Thank you also for the feedback regarding the pricing of our breakfast, such valuable comments are much appreciated.

I will look personally into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel services.

We hope that we can restore your confidence in us and look forward to welcoming you back to Quentin Amsterdam some day in the future.

With best regards,

Nellson Soares
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
Stockholm County, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

II booked four rooms, (for myself and staff) for a trade fair (IBC) at RAI and this hotel had a link on their web site which I assumed was some sort of recommendation, which it definitely cannot have been. I was informed on beforehand that we got tripple rooms. Though I did not expect the rooms to look like dormitories, Only beds and no space in between.

Rooms were not clean - there was a bad small of dump, probably from moisture from leaking bathrooms. My room was on the 3rd floor so it was not from the channel. I even got bites from something(bug ?) Once back home all my clothes went straight into the washing machine. Be advised not to put your cloths on another bed or on the floor. Incidentally the floor was covered with a wall to wall carpet with wholes in it. The handle for the cold water fell of and was not replaced during my stay, despite my reminders. So I had to turn a tiny little screw in order to shower.

The positive; Reiksmuseum, van Gogh Museum are only 10 min walk away, Service staff is friendly and maintenace staff invisible and the breakfast is ok.

My advise book here only if all other hotels are full!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Nellson_Soares2013, Front Office Manager at Quentin Amsterdam Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.

I would like to personally apologize for the series of unfortunate incidences that you experienced during your stay with us.
We continually try to do our very best for all of our guests, but unfortunately, sometimes we do fail.
I will look into each issue that you have noted, in an attempt to correct and improve our hotel services.

We look forward to another opportunity to host you at our property, and once again, thank you for your valuable comments!
Waxhaw
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

The hotel sets on a very pretty place on the canal and you are right by the place to get the canal tours. The breakfast was 12 euros and was only bread, rolls, tea and coffee. We went for a 5 minute walk (with my 83 year old mother) to an awesome tea room/restaurant called Greenwoods where we sat by the canal and had a full breakfast for 9 euros and my son had an omelette breakfast for 10. The room had major flood issues in the bathroom. Other rooms did too. The tiles were not sloped correctly and the water poured all over the floor. They cheerfully gave us extra towels but you needed 2 floor towels per shower. The triple room had folding bed that kept falling down. The second time they fixed it, it held. The room was clean, most of the staff was friendly and helpful. One of our two nights was not quiet. I think there is a bar or something and there was door banging, calling out, etc. For the price, it is a good deal and we loved the location.

Room Tip: If you don't like to be bothered, stay on a weekday or get a room that is not over the front doo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The hotel is in a great location. Our second visit to Amsterdam and hoped we had chosen well. Room 24 was on the ground floor "inside" of the hotel. Our window looked out onto the inner tube which meant no proper daylight and curtains had to be closed 24/7 as other inside windows could see in. The heat in our cupboard of a bedroom was almost unbearable. A large ceiling fan did help and had to be left on all night. The window could not be left open as there was a continuous loud noise which we think was boiler firing up supplying hot water. Clean linen on beds and towels changed daily. Dusty skirting boards.Tiny wardrobe and no drawers. Staff efficient and friendly. Good breakfast in a small breakfast room which could be very busy as more guests than tables.

Room Tip: Speak to the hotel and ask for room on outside/ canal side of hotel and book the best one you can as...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Amsterdam has the highest concentration of people per square kilometer in Europe, so don't expect a big room. I chose this hotel because it had an elevator since all the stairs in Amsterdam are quite tiny. This is in a quiet area near the museums and overlooking the canal. The room is very basic, but there is an elevator and reliable wifi. The staff is so nice. When I checked in, the manager asked me what I wanted to see and gave me a map, marking off all the places I wanted to go so I could plan my itinerary. Be sure to visit one of the ticket and tour kiosks to buy your tickets ahead of time so you don't have to stand in line. Also, take a day to go on a tour of the windmills, clog-making and cheese factory so you can experience life outside of the city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

When you look for a Hotel by the city map, the reviews or the pictures, you try to choose the best, We were very lucky with this election. The location was perfect: in a walking distance to everything but in a quiet street. The decoracion was really nice, the place was very clean the service ,everithig was better than expected for the price we paid...The triple room with canal views, the room 210, was really homelike.
No cupboard , only hangers in the room...Enough for a short stay..

Room Tip: quiet street,close to everything!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
West Midlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here for two nights.
Booked two single canal view rooms - got 2 doubles, 1 that looked out onto the roof and back and one the canal if you stood on tip toes. On check in the receptionist tried to charge is £138 instead of £101.Luckily we had printed confirmation with us.
No explanation as to why we didn't have the rooms we booked (later enquiries revealed that the rooms we had booked were "having maintenance".
One room on third floor was small clean but looked onto roof. One room on 4th floor, very very tatty. `no plug socket except the one up on the wall with tv. `Unless you want to stand on a desk and doing your hair or have your mobile hanging swinging on charge, its not very good.
After half an hour or so I was presented with a mobile and adapter to plug multiple things in. So I climbed up and duly plugged it - it didn't reach so had to balance on various things.
The room on floor 4 needs gutting. There are a number of light bulbs over your head on the bed - you might get quite a burn if you wanted to read in bed etc. The towels are little bigger than a tea towel so take your own. There was lots of rubbish out the front of the hotel.

The only good points to hotel is the location, mins walk from the tram and the staff were very helpful.

Would I return - unless they spruce this hotel up and clean it - def not! It as 3* - how I dont know.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Quentin Amsterdam Hotel? Share your experiences!