“NOISIEST HOTEL IN THE WORLD” 1 of 5 stars

Dam Hotel
Damrak 32, 1012 LK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #315 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
limavady
“NOISIEST HOTEL IN THE WORLD”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

we arrived here on the 23rd of November we were allocated room 205 the awful disgusting sewage smell just hit us with a bang!! there was no way were staying in this room we explained to reception an they agreed the smell was awful an moved us to room 101 ... from one extreme to another i actually think people do not sleep in amsterdam between party animals dandering the streets till all hours of the morning/night the smell of weed rising up in to our room it was a disaster from start to finish the bedlinen was fresh an clean there was fresh towels every day thats as good as it gets, the rest is just disgusting!!! you have to climb a set of very steep stairs to get to the hotel rooms but i think this is the norm we paid £251 for 3 nights which was fairly cheap compared to other hotels in this area as its very central to the train station red light district and shopping areas.....

Room Tip: If you must choose this hotel ensure your room is at the back, rooms 101 201 301 have severe noise p...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

110 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Looking for cheap holiday to dam, and for some stupid reason thought it would be cheaper to leave booking hostel until last minute and paid a lot more than previous prices seen. After wading the reviews and seeing the pictures of bed bugs we were dreading it! Overall we stayed for 3 nights, stayed here the first night then the second two we were sent to sister hotels ( only a couple of hundred yards straight down street either way). We didn't mind this, 5 boys out to see the sightst of the dam as long as we had somewhere relatively clean and safe for out belongings we didn't care and it just about did that. An annoyance was booking with hostel booker paid a 50£ deposit yet arriving at hotel they inform us that was the hostelbookers cut and then had to pay it again.
We had a great location and had a great trip, last words would be not as bad as expected and does the job

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Enjoyed my stay. it was quiet clean and basic. was dissapointed that couldnt smoke in the room. the wifi was ok. not very strong. staff was very friendly. Stairs are extremely steep (like everywhere) so be careful

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We just got back from an amazing time in Amsterdam! The only let down was the hotel! We were in room 101. The staff were very accommodating as the first room we got put into stunk of deep fried food emanating from the vents at the back of the restaurant, so we were moved to room 101.
The actual room was nothing special but it was totally fine for our stay. Clean bedding, little tv, clean shower etc and it overlooked Damstraat which was a little noisy because of the passing trams and tourists. BUT the worst part was that the doors in this whole hotel do not have safety closers on them so every single time someone leaves or enters, there is an almighty bang!
We arrived on the Friday night and on the Saturday morning at around half 7, the cleaners were going into their room outside our door, keys jangling, slamming the doors!!! We were unlucky with the fact that the cleaners room was there but that, combined with the downstairs door banging every other minute and all the other room doors banging, was just unbearable! We had to get earplugs the next day! I couldn't even be bothered asking to move again due to the horrible room we first had. It's a shame because if it weren't for the banging doors our stay would have been a whole lot better! The actual hotel is perfectly located and is super close to Centraal station and the red light district etc. its a bit rough around the edges but I don't care about that really! However, the noise inside the hotel was ridiculous! I feel like complaining but I'm on a high from being in Amstersam because its soooooo amazing that I just cannot be bothered to!
Next time I would stay closer to Spuistraat as its very beautiful and lots going on but quieter

• Stayed September 2013
Christchurch, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked for 2 nights online to stay at Dam Hotel. The took an extra 210 euro out of my account without even telling me. They said this charge was incase I didnt turn up after booking online. They had nothing on their website about this extra charge. After I turned up and paid for the full accommodation, they did not return my 210 euro. Didnt even mention they had taken it. It wasnt until my card kept declining and I checked my account that I realised they had taken the 210 euro. When I confronted them at reception, they said they will return it in 7 days. (What was the point in getting it back in 7 days when I was leaving the country the next day!!) So demanding for it to be returned, they said they had done the transaction and returned the money into my account. IT WAS NOT RETURNED. After more confrontation, they said it might take a few days for the transaction to go through. Over a week later, back in my own country thousands of miles away, I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY 210 EURO. THEY SCAM YOU. DO NOT BOOK HERE. BE WARNED!!!
Also the rooms are TINY. Barely any space at all. We had to take turns opening our suitcases because of such little space. They say free wifi available, BUT IT DOES NOT WORK, Only on the first floor, but every other floor, the wifi does not work. WORST PLACE TO STAY, TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE RECEPTION.

Room Tip: Just don;t book here at all!!! BE WARNED
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here in june 2013 for 3 nights. Don't expect a big or luxurios room, but a and clean room. However we had a room on the 4th floor and the view was amazing. If you also consider the very reasonable prices, the fantastic location and the good staff, this hotel is absolutely recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dam Hotel? Share your experiences!