“TERRIBLE PLACE - DO NOT STAY” 1 of 5 stars

Dam Hotel
Damrak 32, 1012 LK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #298 of 356 Hotels in Amsterdam
Christchurch, New Zealand
“TERRIBLE PLACE - DO NOT STAY”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked for 2 nights online to stay at Dam Hotel. The took an extra 210 euro out of my account without even telling me. They said this charge was incase I didnt turn up after booking online. They had nothing on their website about this extra charge. After I turned up and paid for the full accommodation, they did not return my 210 euro. Didnt even mention they had taken it. It wasnt until my card kept declining and I checked my account that I realised they had taken the 210 euro. When I confronted them at reception, they said they will return it in 7 days. (What was the point in getting it back in 7 days when I was leaving the country the next day!!) So demanding for it to be returned, they said they had done the transaction and returned the money into my account. IT WAS NOT RETURNED. After more confrontation, they said it might take a few days for the transaction to go through. Over a week later, back in my own country thousands of miles away, I STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY 210 EURO. THEY SCAM YOU. DO NOT BOOK HERE. BE WARNED!!!
Also the rooms are TINY. Barely any space at all. We had to take turns opening our suitcases because of such little space. They say free wifi available, BUT IT DOES NOT WORK, Only on the first floor, but every other floor, the wifi does not work. WORST PLACE TO STAY, TERRIBLE SERVICE, TERRIBLE RECEPTION.

Room Tip: Just don;t book here at all!!! BE WARNED
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Thai first
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here in june 2013 for 3 nights. Don't expect a big or luxurios room, but a and clean room. However we had a room on the 4th floor and the view was amazing. If you also consider the very reasonable prices, the fantastic location and the good staff, this hotel is absolutely recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

After reading reviews and seeing pictures we were dreading the 2 night stay.

check in was after 2pm however we arrived at 10am and they had no issue letting us into the room earlier....

room had been bleached ... very clean tidy appearance

basic room, fantastic location (2 mins for EVERYTHING), very well priced!

lost our key paid 10E for a replacement which was refunded once we found the other one.

reception reasonably ok staff - done there job.

all in all really good find!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just got back from a fab weekend away in Amsterdam. Stayed at the Dam Hotel, and booked through booking.com. We went for the cheap option so wasn't expecting luxury, especially after reading the bad reviews.

The hotel was easy to find, only a 10 minute walk from Amsterdam Central Train Station. The location was great - very close to Dam Square, shops, bars and red light district.

There were building works going on when we were there (April 2013) but they only worked during the week, not at weekends and it started about 8am. Nice early wake up call! ;)

We arrived in the morning but weren't able to check in until 2pm so they let us store our suitcases in their locked storage room. The building we checked into wasn't the same building as where our room was though, so we had to walk a few doors down the street to get to our room.

Our room was on the 5th floor - there was a lift but you had to walk up one flight of steep stairs to the first floor before getting in it so wouldn't recommend it to anyone with difficulty walking!

We found the room to be basic, but clean and comfortable. There wasn't a lot of space but there was a big cupboard and a desk to put your stuff. The heating was working fine.. we had to turn the radiators down as it was on full blast! Nice big window to let in the air (although not a nice view lol) Bed was really comfortable and there was plenty of blankets.

Room had its own bathroom with shower, sink and toilet. All clean. The water was very intermittent though - took ages to get hot and then completely cut out mid shower!! That happened every day we were there but water came back on after a minute or so.

Our room was next to the lift so found it was quite noisy every now and again but I took ear plugs for when I was sleeping so didn't notice it as much as my partner!

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. We are quite laid back people and only really needed a place to sleep as we were out and about most of the time.

I would recommend the Budget Dam Hotel to anyone in need of a good location, clean basic accommodation at a low cost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends