“Total dump” 1 of 5 stars

Damrak 32, 1012 LK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #315 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Total dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

It doesn't matter how much everywhere else costs in Amsterdam compared to this place, DO NOT STAY HERE! It's really disgusting - I mean, really dreadful. Try and sum up an image of the worst hotel you can - filthy stairs above a cheap pizza shop leading to a dodgy man behind a perspex screen unable to find your reservation. Tiny, dirty public areas and don't even think about entering the rooms. Even the [---] students looked unhappy to be there. Gross, should have it's license revoked.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Malta,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

its the right place to stay for young one's traveling to AMSTERDAM its in the centre of amsterdam so are a few minutes away from shops coffee shops restaurants bars red light district (for guys )

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Cheap by Amsterdam standards, and centrally located near the Station but that's it !

Appalling hotel (and I use that word loosely) which would be be out of place in replacing Guantanamo Bay as an internment centre.

Arrived late in the evening, so was a case of take it, or sleep in the Central Station.... .mmmm looking back I think the latter opinion might have been better.

The room was so small that one person had to actually lie on the bed in order for the other to squeeze past.
The bathroom stinked, and in the morning, after throwing back the duvet, we found 2 black weevil-like bugs in the bed. We didn't bother looking for more.... just packed up & left.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Bordeaux, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I and my wife stayed 3 nights in the Dam hotel. We got a double bed room after checked in.
Our room was small but clean and comfortable. The room was cleaned daily and the housekeeper man was very helpful.

The location of Dam hotel is perfect. It is nearby every city sightseeing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ames, Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I will start this review with the one positive aspect of Dam Hotel its location. Dam Hotel is locaated in the very center of all the action in Amsterdam and made doing things very simple but that is where I draw the line. Dam hotel is the worst hotel of all time. First of all it is nearly impossible to find because you must go up a set of stairs to the front desk and the sign outside the door in not the name of the hotel, or at least the name has been changed and not been updated on the internet. To get to our room we had to climb Mt. Everest. The stairways are basically like climbing a ladder they are so steep and narrow. Our room was on the third floor and when we opened our door to room 308 what did we find, another set of stairs. In our four bed room we had a set of mattresses that were nearly impossible to sleep on they were so stiff. In addition to the bed we were not given ample sheets and covers. The beds come with an elastic sheet to cover the mattress and one comforter. NO SHEETS! the room was either freezing cold or unbearably hot as we tried to sleep. This is where things get fun...good luck trying to sleep because there will more than likely be mice crawling all around the room while you sleep digging through your trash and food. We were tortured by mice every night we were there and got a severe lack of sleep. We discovered a giant mouse hole in the wall behind the radiator. I was woken up several times by the sounds of mice scratching around in the walls. The room did have a TV but with 3 channels that work for maybe 1/3 of the time when they are covered in static and squeaking sounds. My guess is the the cable wires have been chewed to shreds by mice in the walls. Then came the bathroom situation. There is one toilet and one shower for the whole floor. The shower is a glorified closet with water shooting out and smells of feet and mildew. The toilet is nearly unusable because of the overwhelming stench of urine and puke that the floor is covered in. With the mice, the never ending ladder of a staircase, and the awful smells and cleanliness of the entire place, I'd have to say this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and if i wasn't very tired and exhausted from a long weekend at the coffee shops I could not have done it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Bembridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Good location, The hotels was very run down, our two rooms were clean but very tired the shower rooms when we came back at the end of the day stunk all in all not good but pretty cheap for amterdam,

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was tricked into coming to this hotel. My wife was looking into an offer which was at the last minute changed and the price offered for night was for each bed a night (we only required one bed). Because of this we immediately tried to cancel the reservation (we didn't need a 4 bed room as they change it when confirming our reservation) but it wasn't allowed. The booking costed 4 times what it was meant to cost. And because the hotel refused to cancel the reservation, although it's cancellation was requested immediately after the incorrect reservation, we were forced to go to that dump.
When arriving, our room was in the 3rd floor, and we had to carry our bags through the tiniest and tallest stairs I have ever been to. While coming up the stairs, the smell of urine and vomit was disastrous. And when finally I arrived to my room with two bunk-beds where I was forced to sleep in different beds with my wife, the safety box didn't work and you could hear noise in all the rooms.
The experience was really chaotic and I feel literally robbed from the start by this hotel. This is my first post in this website and I do it because I think that nobody should be treated like this or forced into a hotel with tricky advertising and changing reservations.

Room Tip: Simply don't come even if you get it for free
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Dam Hotel? Share your experiences!