“Great location.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #89 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Washington DC
“Great location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2009

Enjoyed my stay at the Prinsenhuis. This was my first time at this location. Brick, the owner, was very helpful with any questions I had. I stayed at the Mandarin on the ground floor. Great kitchen to cook your own meals. Two tvs with satellite programming. Your own private patio. No noise.Nicely decorated. I found the place to be clean.There also was a phone and fax machine if needed. Will return for sure.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo

61 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
NYC, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

We stayed in Prinsenhuis while my family was visiting Holland. We selected it based on TripAdvisor and other recommendations. First of all, the location is fantastic! Very nice area and very centrally located. Our room was a one bedroom, very comfortable for our family. The kitchen is also very handy for a family and there is even a washer dryer!!! The place is exceptionally well stocked -- when you arrive the refrigerator already has items and you can suggest things to the manager via email ahead of time. Really, there are only two drawbacks -- 1. the VERY steep stairs!!! and 2. the place is just not clean at all!! We had to re-wash the dishes before we used them, the floor was dirty, and the extra blanket was smelly and dirty. I would say that you should stay here depending on what is important to you - if price and value are more important than cleanliness, this is the place for you!

• Liked — Location and value
  • Disliked — Room was not clean
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
brickogden, owner, manager at Prinsenhuis, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
We want to respond to the review why our guest found the apartment untidy. We had just hired a new lady to clean our building and she was very nervous about getting the apartment cleaned by the 14:00 check-in time. It is true and she informed us that did not clean the wooden floors because she felt she had not enough time. We have since explained to her that it is more important for our guests to check-in a little later to a perfectly clean apartment rather than check-in on time to a not perfectly cleaned apartment. We have not had a complaint before or since about cleanliness in the Prinsenhuis, and we thank our guest for bringing this to our attention!
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

This lovely little apartment building in Amsterdam is a great find. It's located along a canal, a short walk from the main tourist areas. The tram is only a 5 minute walk away.

We stayed in the Mandarin Suite (the smallest), which is on the ground floor. The suite was impeccably clean, very cute, and tastefully decorated in orange tones. There is hardwood flooring throughout. There is a full kitchen and washing machine, and a small bedroom with adjoining patio. The suite was very funky, stylish, and modern. It had a very homey feeling, which was exactly what we needed after our exhausting travels!

The staff stocked the fridge for us with orange juice, milk, and wine, and there was also coffee, cocoa, cereal, bread and jam for breakfast in the morning. If there is anything else you would like, you can inform the innkeeper, who will purchase it on your behalf and place it in the suite for you.

For the price, I don't think we could have done better in terms of accomodations in Amsterdam - the Prinsenhuis is highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
monterey, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2008

I am currently staying on the 2nd floor/Coral Suite. View of the Prinsengracht canal from bay windows in the living room/studio kitchen. Interior design is interesting; not a big fan of the multi-colored stripe thing going on in the living room (wall) and bedroom (head board) but overall it is very hip and comfortable. Sky TV on flatscreen tv in the living room with way too many channel choices and free, fast wireless internet. Studio kitchen with everything except an oven but there are many cafes and restaurants in the neighborhood and I didn't plan on cooking during my stay. Senseo coffeemaker was a major plus for me. The bathroom design is very modern; the overhead shower took some getting used to and the lighting in the bathroom was/is inadequate. Built in washer under the uber trendy sink. The bedroom is alot smaller than it appears on the website. There is approximately one foot of space on each side of the comfortable bed and approximately two to three feet at the foot. Built in cabinetry/closet for your luggage/belongings. Small balcony with table and chairs off the bedroom with a view of the neighbors' gardens. The owner, Brick, met me upon my arrival and went over a few things with me in the apartment. Very gracious and unobtrusive; I never saw him again but told me to call him anytime if I needed anything. It is a little pricey (someone in another review stated that you would pay 3 X the amount to stay in comparable 4 star hotels and I am not sure what hotels he is referring to ) but I would definitely stay here again. It was very quiet and relaxing.

• Liked — Location off of the Prinsengracht
  • Disliked — Bathroom lighting
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2008

what a fab place!
It is situated within walking distance of nearly everything,we no this because we walked everywhere.
I went with my 2 teenagers who both loved the fact that the appartment had sky tv and very fast broadband which was great for when we needed to regroup in the day and give the feet a rest!
It might be a little smaller than it looks on the web site, but it was very clean and amazingly well kitted out. Well done Brick we will definatley be back [ with out the teenagers next time]!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — steep stairs
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Madison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

With no reservations I can easily say that my boutique-style room (Mandarin room) was the coolest apartment/hotel I have ever stayed at! Really, this was a chance to live like a local, in probably the best section of Amsterdam (close to everything!). You are right on the canal, grocery stores and wonderful restaurants are nearby, the street is quiet... Also, the apartment was clearly professionally designed; the colors and functionality of everything from the wall tiles to the closet space help to reinforce the tranquility of the space. I just can't recommend this establishment enough!
And the apartment is really set up for you to have everything you need (i.e., clothes washer, pot & pans for cooking, dish washer, wi-fi, etc...). And the price can't be beat; for a similar 4-star hotel in Amsterdam, you'd pay 3x more! I would never stay anywhere else in Amsterdam!

• Liked — The design of the accomodation.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

This was a great experience and could teach a few "hospitality" operators a thing or two. It may not be the cheapest in town but certainly you do get value.

How nice to arrive in a foreign city and be greeted with a friendly face (Cordelia) and a beautifully appointed, clean, canal apartment with great ambiance and views of the Prisengracht canal. You can sit in the warmth of the huge picture windows and watch the boats and bicycles go by. Plus the fridge is stocked with complimentary provisions. After an early start and with 2 hungry chlldren in tow this is a welcome touch which doesn't cost management much but creates a great first impression. How many top flight hotels to you go to and have to beg for a small jug of milk.

The owner, Brick Ogden, is always on hand if you need anything (but not obtrusive) and is willing to help with enquiries about Amsterdam and the apartment. Its a great location too. I only wish there was a Prisenhuis in every major city in the world.

My only reservation is the paying in advance thing. While I understand the reason behind it, carrying a wad of cash around is unwise and it is difficult to withdraw large amounts on one day. Overall, though, very good.

• Liked — Authentic Amsterdam ambiance
  • Disliked — Paying in cash up front
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Prinsenhuis? Share your experiences!