“Worth a Visit” 4 of 5 stars

and up
Ranked #25 of 265 Attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Gunther von Hagens' BODY WORLDS: The Happiness Project in Amsterdam marks an entirely new chapter in the already impressive range of BODY WORLDS exhibitions. Recipe for happiness The exhibition tells the amazing story of our bodies and the influence that the emotional phenomenon of 'happiness' has on our health. Over 200 anatomical specimens of real human bodies reveal the complexity, resilience and vulnerability of the body. BODY WORLDS: The Happiness Project is a specially-developed interactive exhibition examining what happiness is, the science behind it, and its effects on both body and mind. Take a fascinating journey through the human body.
Jersey, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Worth a Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was a little optimistic when visiting body works as I didn't really know what to expect.... but I really enjoyed it in a weird way, its very interesting finding out how your body really works and you do learn loads with all the information they give you. The exhibits are very well positioned so if you're a sports person like me it's great to see all the muscles stretched out during different activities! I think if you haven't been to one of these places before it's worth a look... The only negative I could really give is that you lose your money in the locker which is a little bit silly, but you have to earn your money somewhere! Give yourself an hour an a half to fully get through to soak in all the facts and info.

Also if you visit little tour shops further in Amsterdam you will find this attraction cheaper by about 3-4 euros (always a bonus!)

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montgomery, Texas, United States
13 attraction reviews
“So Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I first heard about Body Worlds about 15 years ago and was fascinated with Gunther Van Hagens. The exhibit finally came to Houston, Tx about 7 years ago and I saw it then with my young daughter and our homeschooling group. At the end of the exhibit, she wanted to know how she could donate her body! It was very interesting and fascinating to see our bodies this distinctly. It came through again about a year later and we saw that one too. My husband had never seen or heard of it. I thought there was another exhibit that came through, but it turned out it was one of the wannabe's and it was horrible. It wasn't the experience I wanted my husband to have. When we came to Amsterdam on vacation, I saw that there was this exhibit and made sure we went to see it. My husband was thoroughly impressed and it did not fail to intrigue me again. To see how our veins, muscular structure and organs look, I would highly suggest visiting. These are real people, so it might not be for the squeamish or for immature children. But what a great educational lesson to have.

Visited February 2014
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“If Anatomy Interests You.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Loved this permanent exhibition. Amazing just how complex the human body is and how well it's all packed in. The bodies are works of art and whilst they expose our innards no one that I saw even raised an eyebrow suggesting that the exhibition is suitable for most people. Just about the right amount of written information on each exhibit. Great place to pass a few hours

Uphall, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Worth A Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Very interesting and informative if that's yr thing. Wasn't sure what to expect being honest and quite surprised what I learned.

“I wouldn't bother!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Totally over rated - got bored after the second section! Highly over priced for what it is. Rude Staff at the front desk. I wouldn't recommend this place! Can't take your handbag with you?.. Why? Its not like someone is going to steal a body part!!! Won't be returning. Wished i had got my money back to be honest.

AmsterdamEXPO, Public Relations Manager at Body Worlds, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
What a pity that our anatomy exhibition did not meet your expectations, Kerry. As for the bag: the reason you can not take it inside it is to prevent damage to our fragile plastinates. And –more importantly- this way visitors can walk around and enjoy the exhibition freely – especially on busy days. Have a happy day!