“Decent hotel. Good staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 30%
Ranked #40 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
devon
“Decent hotel. Good staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Modern style hotel not too far from Central Station. Nearby tram stop useful for city navigation. Although not so old it has already been updated and renovated. Bedrooms are a good size mostly with various Rhine and city views. Clean airy and spacious throughout. Staff warm and friendly especially the barman late afternoon. I'd come back here

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

2,283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cold Spring, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I recently stayed at the Movenpick for one night prior to our Holland America cruise and one night afterward. We initially booked this hotel because our cruise was scheduled to leave from the Passenger Cruise Terminal, right next door. But Holland America, in its wisdom, changed the terminal to Felison. However, we did enjoy our stay here and found all of the staff to be outstanding. The view from our room was wonderful. Additionally, we had dinner in the bar and found it to be great also.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Pompeii, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We decided on this hotel as there was a "family offer" for 2 adults and 2 kids sharing a room. THe room price was more than we usually spend, but I liked the location. When I went to book I was told the offer was actually only for 2 adults and 1 child and that the website offer was a mistake. When my email was forwarded to a supervisor, I was offered 2 rooms for the price of one, since the offer was not available as advertised. I was very happy with the hotel making an effort to work with me. At the time I asked that there be 2 connecting rooms reservered for us.
A week before we arrived I notified the hotel that we needed a late check-in and to again please make sure 2 connecting rooms were available. THey emailed me back, assuring me the connecting rooms would be held. When we arrived, though, we were told we had two non-connecting rooms. I politely told the receptionist that I was told 2 connecting rooms were held for me, and she rudely said, "That's impossible. We never guarantee a certain room type. We only take requests." Again I told here I had an email stating differently. Again she told me this was impossible. We were offered two rooms next to each other and told we might be able to change rooms the next day if connecting room became available, but if they did we would need to leave our room by noon and recheck-in at 3:00. At this point we were tired and just wanted to get to our room. When we arrived in the room, something seemed strange. The beds were of the type that pull down from the wall and didn't have a headboard - very uncomfortable for watching TV. I found the email that stated 2 connecting rooms were saved for us and took it down to the reception. I wasn't expecting to change rooms at that time, but wanted the receptionst to see that, yes, this is what was offered and that a compromise would be to leave the current room and check into the new one once the new was ready, instead of the check out at 12:00 and recheck at 3:00. In the end I got a very nice phone call from the gentleman from reservations, apologizing for the problem and everyone at reception went out of their way to make sure the change went smoothly - letting me know when the new room would be ready, calling me, having a bell hop come and pick-up our suitcases and give up the new keys. In the end we were told the original room given us was a room that is used for conferences, but can double as a bedroom (hence the beds pulling down from the wall.) - kind of sad, really. In the end, we really liked the hotel. I just wished check-in had been handled differently. I would have liked a, "I'm sorry for the mistake. Can we offer you a drink in the bar, while we sort this out." Or " We have a room on the upper floor with a view we can offer you until the correcting one is ready." Neither offer would of put the hotel out much, but would have created a "win-win" situation. Instead I was told I was lying, offered a substandard room, and asked to checkout of the hotel for 3 hours until the new room was ready. Everyone else at the hotel really was lovely, but one bad employee can ruin the experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear amanda m,
We appreciate your sincere and extensive review concerning your stay in our hotel.
First of all Our sincere apologies for the unfriendly service you received upon check in.
This is defenitely not the kind of service we strive and aim to carry out. Please be assured this has our highest priority. Besides this we are pleased to find out you had an enjoyable stay with us including our location.
We hope to have a chance to welcome you back in our hotel and give you new positive memories.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is a fantastic hotel, the staff are lovely.
Booked a suite, check in at 11am and the room was ready, the room was a nice size, free drinks, two tvs and brilliant view. The club lounge was great with free drinks and food. Its a good location just outside city centre, 10 min walk to railway or 1 stop by tram. I would love to come back here one day, thank you for a great stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear travis2004,
Thank you for sharing your positive experniences with us regarding your stay last January.
It is motivating to hear you enjoyed all benefits which come included by booking a Suite with us, and you appreciated all our facilities.
We look forward welcoming you back too, please do not hesitate to contact us.

bedlingtonshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Have just had 5 nights at the Movenpick as a cultural break in amsterdam.
An executive room on 19th floor magic views river and city.
Breakfasts and complimentary mini bar as part of expedia deal a very good choice.
It is slightly out of city centre but better for it no noise or traffic problems,tram stop 200m walk or about 700m to central station on foot.
Food very good and all you can eat breakfast to set you up for days walking.
Everywhere in hotel spotless and very organised staff faultless and very pleasant at all levels.
From our room on 19th floor saw a Peregrine falcon take a little gull and land on the nearby ferry terminal roof (pic attached).
In all a good break and amsterdams intergrated transport system a gem when compared to the uk clean ,on time and nice staff .
We never felt once at risk in city day or night

Room Tip: High floors have best views
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear willygan,
We are very pleased to read you had such a beautiful stay in our hotel and appreciated our quiet location, magic views and all extras which come included when booking an Executive Room.
Our large variety of breakfast is a good start for exploring the city of Amsterdam.

Please feel free to stay with us again next time you visit Amsterdam.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I booked a weekend at the Moevenpick through TravelBird to celebrate my partner's thirtieth birthday. Due to a mistake with my booking (Travelbird's fault) we were upgraded to an executive room on the 20th floor. Good job we were.

This hotel is like a fancy Premier Inn. Fairly generic with no real character. The staff are nice enough but not overly friendly in any way. Our room was a nice size with a fantastic view overlooking the river. But if you didn't have this view, the hotel would be nothing special. We had free drinks from the mini bar and free Wi-Fi, both of which you don't get in a standard room. The television didn't work, which we reported but no one came to sort it out. Not a big deal as we didn't come to watch tele...but still. Good toiletries etc. in the bathroom although bring your own hairdryer! Theirs weighs a tonne and I burnt myself quite badly as it became very overheated.

The hotel is geared towards Americans who are stopping on their way to a river cruise, for which this hotel is perfectly situated. We were definitely one of the youngest couples there at 29 and 30. The breakfast buffet was good with a wide selection although very busy. We didn't use the restaurant or bar though, why would you when you have come to see the city?!

The main issue with this hotel is that it is a good 15 minutes walk from the train station and town. It doesn't sound like much but when you have spent the whole day walking around Amsterdam, trudging an additional 20 minutes back to the hotel can be a little tiring. They do offer a shuttle service but you have to book in advance. We are pretty fit but found this exhausting so I have no idea how the largely older population of the hotel managed this daily.

Overall, nothing special. It didn't take anything away from a great trip to Amsterdam but it didn't add much either.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to an executive room is you can.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Wingy642624,
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review with us.
It is good to know you in general enjoyed your stay in our modern hotel but regret at the same time did not meet up to your expectations.
Should you reconsider staying with us again our team is more than happy to assist you.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I always pride myself on my fairness when reviewing hotels. I accept things go wrong when you are dealing with dozens of guests every day and it's how you deal with them that counts.
So there's a big lesson to be taken for the management at the Moevenpick in Amsterdam - where we experienced the rudest front desk staff ever on our travels.
If there are any Faulty Towers fans out there, do you remember the episode where Sybil leaves Basil and he tries to convince friends she is sick in bed, doing all he can to stop them going to her room? That was a little like our check in.
We arrived at 10.30am following an early flight and we were allowed to register but told our room would not be available until 3pm. That was fair and we went for a walk around the city centre until 3pm promptly, when we got to the front desk.
There were two sets of guests arguing with staff there. One couple appeared to have had their room cancelled and another group of three men were having problems with their reservation for a triple room.
We had booked an executive room - as breakfast was included in the price - and this package gave you access to a larger room with views, free mini bar and access to the executive lounge.
When we went to pick up our room keys we were told there was a five minute delay as our room was being cleaned. We waited and after 10 minutes the room still wasn't ready and the woman on the check in disappeared into the back. She came out after another delay and said the problem was our fault. We had requested a king size bed and she said there was only one on the whole of the executive floor. If we wanted it, we would have to wait. At this point we challenged this - Expedia had given the option of a twin or king bed on that floor. We didn't believe there was only one - she insisted there was and if we wanted it, we would have to wait. She then started to say, rather rudely, that she didn't have to honour our request for a king and if we wanted one we would just have to wait. She said late check out, at 2pm, was allowed with the executive package and if we wanted this room we would have to wait. It was now 3.30pm and we asked to speak to the manager. She went into the back and returned with someone - who we later found out was pretending to be the manager. We said we understood the late checkout policy but felt the hotel really needed to get the right systems in place so that guests rooms were available on time, whether they were in an executive room (which costs more) or not. If they wanted to offer late check out facility, fine, but it didn't mean we should be inconvenienced. He didn't apologise but then we were told our room was ready, so we were handed the keys and headed to the lift. After a few minutes the woman who checked us in ran over, muttered something about upgrading us and took the keys from my hand. They were returned five minutes later (with the same room number on them, so no upgrade and another lie!) and we went up to our room. You can imagine how happy we were to enter a room which hadn't been touched since the previous occupants had left. Dirty bedding was strewn everywhere, towels on the floor and rubbish in the bin. We traipsed downstairs again and asked to speak to the manager and a different person appeared - this time the genuine front of house manager (although we did ask to see the general manager). We complained about what had happened and the lies (upgrade) and rudeness we encountered and he took us up to another room which was being finished off when we arrived. Strangely, this had a king bed too after being told there was only one in the whole hotel. He did sincerely apologise for what had happened - it was gone 4pm then and we had originally registered at 10.30 - and brought us a bar of chocolate, some jam and a drinks voucher by way of an apology (there were free drinks in the exec lounge any way so that made little difference) but in fairness he wasn't rude towards us. He explained the hotel had been overbooked and there had been some problems - all of this fair enough but no excuse for the rudeness and lies we experienced on check in. I was actually very annoyed that the assistant thought we were so stupid that we couldn't see through this. In truth, the whole situation could have been so easily avoided if they had just told us there had been a delay when we got there at 3pm and offered us a coffee on the house while we waited. Instead we were left feeling really stressed out by what should have been a positive experience. After getting into the room, we then had to wait for the mini bar to be restocked, so all in all we lost one and a half hours to this chaos.
All of this aside, there are a lot of positives to this hotel, the executive rooms are a great size, spotlessly clean (when you finally get to a room which has been cleaned in between guests) and it is in a good location (just one team stop from the centre of Amsterdam). The rest of the staff we encountered during our stay (with the exception of the staff checking your room numbers at the entrance to the breakfast room) were lovely in fairness.
However, first impressions count and I don't think I would ever step foot in this hotel or any other Moevenpick for that matter after such an horrendous check in experience. Any hotel that employs front desk staff who are so lacking in basic customer service skills that your experience feels like a comedy farce, doesn't deserve my custom.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center? Share your experiences!