My wife and I spent two nights at the Movenpick Hotel in Amsterdam in July, 2014. The hotel is modern and elegant, but with a very ordinary façade on the outside. A canal is in front of the hotel and the river is in the rear. We had a great view of the river from our room. We stayed here just before embarking on a Viking river cruise, and the hotel was only a five minute walk from the ship. The hotel is a good 10 minute walk to the beginning of the downtown area and the train station, and its designation as “City Center” is misleading and a misnomer. The hotel provides shuttle service to the train station every 30 minutes for those who do not want to walk. We ate twice in the restaurant-bar, which provides excellent food. This is important because of the walking distance to the downtown area. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.
We were advised to go to the 7th floor of the library (a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel) for excellent cafeteria-style food and a great view of the city, and we were not disappointed. We took a guided walking tour of the city, which was fine, although next time we would probably opt for a canal tour by boat. We were advised to book museums such as the Van Gogh museum a day before (and one would probably want to go by street car) and the Anne Frank house at least a week before, but we did not get around to doing any of this.
We would readily stay at the Movenpick again if we were going on another river cruise, but we would probably book a hotel that is actually in the city center (such as the Park Plaza Victoria or the Sofitel Legend The Grande) if we were to return to Amsterdam to see museums and more of the city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center. With a prime location in the city of Amsterdam, this elegant hotel is the ideal venue for your executive travel, meeting and conferences or private ventures in matters of art and culture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, EasyToBook, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Amsterdam
- Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam