“Highly Recommend” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, UK
“Highly Recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I really liked this hotel, did wonder whether to give 5 stars, so you should feel confident when booking.
Friendly staff, good location, don't worry about the walk from the station, it's only about 10 mins, and you can easily get a tram, or the hotel offers a free shuttle service.
I would say excellent value for money, rooms were modern and spacious, great views from the higher floors.
Stay there, I'm sure you'll be equally content

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views,
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Merbau,
Thank you so much for your (more than!) positive comments with regards to your stay, and your 5 star rating our hotel. This is obviously much appreciated, as we strive to provide all our guests with quality and service. Your compliments have been shared within our teams for encouragement already.

We look forward having you to stay with us again next time you visit Amsterdam.

The General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I would definitely stay here again, this is a really nice hotel, spotless, fantastic shower, comfy bed and very friendly helpful staff :D
Room service at night is a bit limited, but I suppose you don't stay for that reason :)
very close to centre, so could walk there and back, walking distance to central station also and right on the waters edge.
will definitely stay again :) x

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear JodieC1981,
Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to your stay. We are pleased to learn you enjoyed our facilities and service and hope you had a nice couple of days in Amsterdam.

Please stay with us again next time you visit Amsterdam.
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed here in February whilst exploring what Amsterdam had to offer! Large clean rooms, nice helpful staff and in a safe area. It was about a 10 minute walk into the main city which is nothing really- one main road to walk along so you can't really complain as you are away from the hustle and bustle of the main centre! Would stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Sophie C,
We are happy to read you had such a pleasant stay last February in our hotel, indeed located on the banks of the river "IJ" outside the busy city centre. We will be more than pleased to welcome you again next time you decide to explore the rest of Amsterdam!

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I stayed here for a four night city break in Amsterdam from 1st to 5th April 2014 arriving from the UK. I arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon. It is about a 15min walk from Central station. The walk is easy going and the hotel is easily visible along the shore front. Upon arrival I was disappointed to be given the choice of either twin bedroom (which I hadnot ordered) or a king size bed beside the elevators. I had read that rooms beside the elevators were noisy. There was no other options. This was not a good start but the receptionist told me if I didnt like the room I could change the next day. I am glad to say our room on the 17th floor beside the elevators was not that noisy and I didnot change. Lower down it may have been worse. The view from the hotel is exceptional in a city were there are very few high rise buildings. The hotel is located right on the docking pier for cruise ships and river cruise boats so I found alot of residents stay in the hotel prior to cruise departures. We dined in the hotel twice during our stay and found the food excellent quality. The bar service was alittle slow, found myself looking for the waiter a few times to place my order but it was worth the wait. The hotel is alittle out of the old centre of Amsterdam, as I said about a 15 min walk but right outside the hotel is a tram stop which we used alot. Take tram 26 outside the hotel which leaves you at central station for 3.80 euro for an hour ticket. They are very frequent and can be found at central station for return journey. I actually liked the hotel away from the centre of the city. The room was excellent and I echo what I read on someone elses comments, please leave more tea bags and milk in the room to allow for more than one cup of tea each!!!. Another complaint about the room was that I found the air conditioning hopeless, the room was very warm and turning the air-con low made no difference to the temperature of the room. This would make me consider using this hotel during a hot summer. I didnot eat breakfast in the hotel which was 18 Euros a person which I thought was expensive. Two people can eat breakfast in the nearby Subway store for less than this. Overall I really liked this hotel and yes I would stay in it again and yes I would recommend it to others. I booked it through Lastminute.com

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear roundtower89,
Thank you for sharing your extensive review with regards to your stay in our hotel. We are happy to read you were satisfied in general and apologize for any inconvenience you might have experienced with our Climate Control. Please be assured this has our attention and will be further investigated.
You may be interested to know, good offers including breakfast many times can be found on our own website, or via Travel Agencies. Thank you for your compliments regarding our nice views and delicious food.
We defenitely hope to welcome you again in our hotel.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Stayed there for 4 nights in April. Greeted by a very friendly receptionist who informed us of all the benefits of the executive room that we had booked - free wifi, free minibar and access to the executive lounge. We had a room on the top floor and the views were just stunning. From then on the service at reception, in the restaurant (where we ate one night), at breakfast and from the concierge was fantastic. The room was spotless, well maintained and spacious. The hotel is slightly out of the city centre but really it was no distance at all. I would return to this hotel in an instant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear colinglas16,
We are truly pleased to read you had such an amazing stay with us, and took advantage of all benefits which come included when booking an Executive Room.
Your positive remarks regarding our overall service and quality are much appreciated!

Please feel free to stay with us again next time you visit Amsterdam.
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel once before in 2011, so decided to return here whilst taking a weekend break to Amsterdam and the Keukenhof Gardens. This time I decided to treat myself to an executive room which overall was, I think, worth having.

So - as other reviews have stated the hotel is not in the city centre. I'm not sure that this is a bad thing as there are plenty of options to get there. I have some mobility restrictions, so used the hotel shuttle (needs to be booked) or the tram which is just outside the hotel. You can also pick up the HOHO Canal Boat a very short walk from the hotel.

This is a busy hotel and there were several groups of cruise passengers as the cruise terminal is right next door. I was lucky, but I think if you arrived at the same time as one of these groups you might experience the queues in the lobby that others have described. The behaviour of some of these groups I observed to be quite demanding, and the staff handled matters in a courteous and professional manner.

My room was on the 20th floor. Fantastic views and very quiet. I was told that the top two floors, which is where the executive floors are, have recently been refurbished and I can say that all looked very clean and fresh. The bed was very comfortable and there was a comfortable easy chair with footstool in the room as well. Everything worked fine and the temperature of the room was good as well. Executive rooms have a limited mini-bar and also a coffee making machine - also some fruit was placed in my room on arrival and mineral water was additionally provided as part of the turn-down service. There is sufficient storage space for a short stay. One also gets free high-speed broadband access as part of the executive package via codes provided by reception.

I used the main restaurant for breakfast (more about that later!) and the bar for meals on both days. I found the food in the bar area to be excellent and the service friendly and efficient. Yes - it's quite pricey by some standards, but many city hotels are and I didn't think this was excessive. If you like ice-cream do try the Moevenpick ice-cream - you won't be disappointed and if you are a chocoholic try the signature cocktail!

My only disappointment was breakfast. If you are used to or need a relaxing executive lounge style of breakfast you won't find it here. The executive lounge is very small and on the second floor adjoining the main restaurant. So you take you breakfast from the general buffet and then sit in the lounge to eat it. That's the theory - I actually could not get a seat in the lounge on any of the three days that I ate breakfast in the hotel and the buffet was carnage! Trying to manage with a walking stick there were no offers of help to carry items to tables from the staff and I was regularly pushed, shoved and barged into by other guests intent on filling their plates as full as they could!! That aside I thought that the breakfast offering in terms of food was very good.

In the scheme of things this was a small point. Overall I had an excellent stay and I would definately stay at this hotel again - I'd just do breakfast differently!

Room Tip: If you can afford an executive room go for it - the views are fantastic and the added extras do add...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Zebedee17,
Thank you for your positive feedback with regards to your stay in our hotel. We are happy to learn you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your constructive remarks regarding our breakfast buffet, and apologize for your unpleasant experience. Your comments will help us to maintain and improve our quality service we aim to provide at all times.
We do hope to welcome you again next time you visit Amsterdam.

Exeter, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Situated on the banks of the 'IJ', the water that separates the centre of Amsterdam from its less salubrious North, this hotel is perfect for tourists and business travellers alike. Agreed, it is a stiff walk into the centre, but there is always the tram, or taxis.

Nice bar (albeit a little pricy), good restaurant and one of the best, and most extensive breakfasts I have ever had whilst on a business trip.

And not badly priced for its location and offerings.

Well done all. I shall be back (soon!).

Room Tip: ask for a city or waterfront room, ideally higher up (I think the hotel has some 16 floors), for fan...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear TravelHappyExeter,
We are very pleased to read your stay has been such an enjoyable one, and you appreciated our quiet location on the banks of the river "IJ". Should you prefer not to walk after a long day exploring Amsterdam, our free shuttlebus can take you to the Central Station (please book in advance).
Thank you for your friendly remarks regarding our good facilities such as our extensive breakfast.

As soon as your next travel dates are reday, please stay with us again.

Hotel Manager

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center? Share your experiences!