“Movenpick Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Movenpick Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

What a wonderful hotel , we have stayed in many hotels around the world and this takes some beating. The staff are so helpful and truly cannot do enough for you. Rooms are extremely comfortable, we stayed in a executive suite and would recommend this, the lounge is lovely also and food is of a very high standard. We will certainly return to the Movenpick.....lovely chocolate too!

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've been to Amsterdam over a dozen times and have always stayed in the middle of town. This time I opted to stay off to the side and away from the hustle and bustle of the middle of town. I couldn't have been happier.

The Moevenpick's off to the side (but right next to) the city and is a nice quiet oasis from it all. The view of the city and surrounding water is magnificent. And the rooms are incredibly spacious (with small sitting areas).

I can also attest to the honesty and professionalism of the hotel staff. About two hours after checking out I realized I had left my iPad somewhere in the hotel (either in the restaurant or the room). I called the hotel in a panic and was promptly connected to security. They took down my information and said they'd call back as soon as they checked both areas. I got a call back in just under 10 minutes letting me know housekeeping had found it in my room and turned it in and that I could come by to pick it up at my convenience. Phew.

I've found my new hotel in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I quite liked this hotel. The standard room is very spacious, very good bed, loved having a sofa as well as a very comfortable but simple desk chair. Bath was roomy enough, though I don't like the European penchant for a partial glass partition for the shower. No matter how careful one is, water kinda goes all over. Also if traveling with a friend, the frosted glass bathroom door could be a tad weird/not so private.
Room had a very nice view of the river, at a bit of an angle, peering past the office building nearby. The place seemed very quiet, both that the rooms seem well soundproofed, but also not a busy night when I stayed. I was on a discount reservation, so no included breakfast. They offered to add breakfast for a very high price. If your reservation doesn't include breakfast, there are plenty of places one or two tram stops away.
And that was the other theme of my stay (besides a comfy room). Get a tram pass! For 7 euro per 24hrs, its worth it & needed. I used the tram several times, as this hotel is a bit off the beaten path. The Bimhus stop is handy, then just one stop from the Central Station, and from there all of Amsterdam. But you will find yourself on that #26 tram quite a lot.
Still, for the price I paid, it was great stay. My last time in Amsterdam (20+ years ago) I stayed in a charming little hotel that had pedestrian and party noise till at least 3am. I'll take quiet, via a tram stop.
One other thing: I didn't find it till check-out, but the room had a mini-fridge in a cupboard. There are a couple nice stores in the Central Station with reasonably priced snacks and small groceries. Kettle in the room for tea and coffee was helpful too.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for more view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ManagerAmsterdam, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback with regard to your stay in our hotel. We are glad you appreciated the comfort of your room. Indeed, we are located just outside the busy city centre and we are happy to read that the public transportation in front of our hotel, brought you to where ever you wanted to go.

We hope you had a good time in our city and will be glad to welcome you again next time you travel to Amsterdam; don't wait for another 20 years, however...

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

To be honest I have stayed in a lot of hotels and there is nothing special about this one, its not a short walk to the city center and its all alone with nothing to do around it, One good thing is they have a shuttle going to the station every now and then.

Room Tip: ask for rooms looking into the city
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We are sorry to read that you were a bit disappointed with regard to your stay in our hotel and its location. We are located just outside the busy city center on the banks of the river IJ where you can enjoy the activities on the water. Our hotel shuttle bus can take you to the centre, which is also only one tramstop away.

We do hope, however, you enjoyed your time in Amsterdam and will of course be happy to welcome you again.

Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Located one tram stop from Cental Station the hotel is in a great location to get into the City fast. The hotel also runs a shuttle service that will take you to and from the Station which comes in very handy.The staff were very friendly and professional, the room was perfect with stunning views of the city and was great value for money. I did not eat at all in the hotel as I thought it was quite expensive but the bar was very nice and had a really relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with regard to your stay in our hotel. Indeed located just outside the busy city centre in a new and upcoming area on the banks of the river IJ.

We will be happy to welcome you again next time you travel to Amsterdam.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

On my first vist to Amsterdam this year we stayed at the Movenpick. On reflection the hotel has no major problems. The room was regularly cleaned and the facilities within the room were faultess. The staff were very friendly, helpful and would go out of their way to help you. We did order room service one night (Pizza) which was nice albeit a bit pricey. We stayed here for 3 nights and found that the hotel seemed to be mainly filled with corporate/business clients rather than tourists, which we didn't see this as a problem. For those who want to be in the hussle and bussle of the city should note that the train station/Dam square is approx 10-15 mins walk from this hotel. There is a free shuttle from the hotel which takes you to the station and will give you a lift back to the hotel which was a positive. However due to our lack of planning/time keeping we never managed to catch the shuttle back to the hotel.

On the whole this is a faultless hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you recognized the friendliness of our staff. We thank you fory your kind words and we hope you had a good time in Amsterdam as well.

Please stay with us again next time you visit Holland.

Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions and each visit has been excellent.
Clean, modern, quiet and spacious rooms. First class staff who are always very helpful.
The location is an easy 10 minutes walk from the city centre or a few minutes ride on the free shuttle bus. There is a tram stop outside also.
If you are looking for a high quality, good value hotel in Amsterdam I would highly recommed the Moevenpick.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center? Share your experiences!