“great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
St. Catharines, Canada
“great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

i visited Amsterdam for a conference in October. I spent 4 nights at thr Movenpick hotel, and upgraded to a junior executive suite on the 19 th floor. The view was spectacular. The breakfast was very good. There was a business lounge with free internet and printer, as well as free soft drinks and beer all day, and snacks and wine from 5-7 pm. Wired and wireless internet access was also included. My main complaint was the poor quality television. I would have expected a flatscreen t.v. for the price paid. The king bed was actually 2 double beds pushed together. I moved to a different 4 star hotel in the city center for 4 nights, so I have something for comparison(Radisson Blu), and I would definitely pick the Movenpick over the Radisson.

Room Tip: fabulous view of the eastern docklands from the higher floors
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
managerAmsterdam, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear guest,

thank you for this review and you choice between us and a competitor. You will be pleased to know that as I write this, a brand new TV system is being installwed in the hotel, comprizing state-of-the-art flat-screen HD tvs.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

2,282 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The USP of the Movenpick hotel is its location.It is situated right in the center of the city,a few minutes from the central station.(On last day of our stay me and mom walked from the central station to the hotel and we thoroughly enjoyed the walk).The first station from the central station is The Movenpick hotel. The tram stop is just across the road.The view from the hotel is lovely.As we were on the 17th floor we had a good view of the city,windmills and the Amstel river. The room service is also nice,we stayed there for 3 days and had no complaints as such.As for the food is concerned we didn’t have it in the hotel .There is a Subway fast food restaurant ,we had our breakfast there and rest of the meals in the city.

Room Tip: Higher the floor,better the view .Take a room facing the Amstel river.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The better half surprised me with a trip to Amsterdam for my birthday and this was the hotel that she chose. Firstly 'City Centre' is a bit of a misnomer as the hotel is at least a 1km walk to Centraal Station (and henceforth onto the real centre) and some of this being uphill as you have to cross a bridge. True, one can take the tram there as a stop is quite near but it seems a bit of a waste. Secondly entrance to the hotel for pedestrians is a little awkward as you have to walk around a 'dock' (so to speak) in front of the hotel to reach it. Obviously neither of these two things would be a problem for anyone arriving via car.

We arrived from Centraal Station and made our way to the hotel, arriving at 12pm. Although check-in was a few hours away we hoped that our room would be ready so we could go and freshen up. However, this was not the case even though the preceeding couple checking in before us were given their card keys. Odd. I'm a pretty laid back guy so I saw no need to kick up a fuss, but I did find this strange.

After a bit of sight seeing we returned and were able to check in. Our room was on the 18th floor and had a (not very spectacular!) view of the City. The room however, was large with a comfortable bed with space in the mini-bar for our own food and drink. The bathroom was equally spacious and had a bath (always good to have a soak after traipsing round all day!

Breakfast wasn't included so I can't comment upon that. But the desk staff were polite and the concierges were effortlessly friendly and helpful.

As previously reviewers have noted the WiFi in the room is a bit slow but we were only using our smart phones so it wasn't a big deal.

The hotel is adjacent to the new passenger terminal so the hotel is an ideal place to stay for anyone embarking or disembarking from one of the many cruise ships which dock there. Be warned though - we were awoken on our first morning by a PA annoucement on the ship which had arrived during the night!

There apparently is a shuttle bus that runs between the hotel and Centraal Station but we didn't use it because we never saw it (it only runs every hour supposedly!)

Overall, not a bad hotel if you don't mind a bit of extra walking.

Room Tip: High floor rooms have some semblance of a view!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Drake,

Thank you for your comments. The first time we have a comment regarding a PA from a ship waking up our guests so we will transmit it to the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam next door. Our free shuttle to the Central Station runs every 30 minutes and must be booked with the concierge as space is limited, apologies as this was not mentioned to you upon check-in. Check-in time is at 3pm and of course we would give a room earlier if one becomes available. Some guest pre-book the rooms the day before to make sure they can access it upon early arrivals, sometimes guest have booked another room type which has some rooms ready, you never know so please do not take it personally!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Souther England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011 via mobile

I was booked in here for 4 nights on business. On arrival, I specifically asked for a quiet room. The first 2 nights were great, my room was very nice, much better appointed than the average business hotel and very quiet, despite overlooking a busy road, railway and tramline. Breakfast, room service etc were all very good, staff were helpful and there was free wi-fi. Colleagues in higher rooms had lovely views along the main shipping canal, although otherwise the hotel is in an industrial area with nothing around unless you travel into the city centre, 10 mins away by tram.

However, on the 3rd night (a Thursday) I returned to my room at 11pm and discovered that there was a nightclub playing incredibly loud music in the building next door. It was so loud that the whole room was shaking with the bass notes. Sleep would have been absolutely impossible. On ringing reception I discovered that the building with the club was normally a passenger terminal for cruise liners (so no soundproofing, as a normal nightclub would have) but 3 or 4 times a year it hosts a series of dance events. The really bad news was the music would go on until 5am and this would continue for the next 2 nights. I was told at first that there were no free rooms, but I persisted and eventually was offered a room on the same side as the club but 12 floors higher. This was no better, and the bathroom smelt of sewage, so I complained again, asking to be moved to the other side of the hotel. Once more I was told there were no free rooms, but then one was found - smaller than my original room but I didn't care. Even on the 19th floor and the other side, the music was still audible, but was sufficiently quiet that I was able to sleep - briefly, as by now it was past 1am and I had to be up again for a meeting at 6am. Several of my colleagues, who were less pushy than I, had been told there were no rooms elswhere and had been fobbed off with earplugs. They hadn't slept at all.

The staff were very apologetic and said they hadn't known about the club event. This surprised me, as there were large billboards outside the passenger terminal advertising 'Battle of 100 DJs'. I hadn't noticed them on my arrival at the hotel, but surely the manager should make it their business to notice, especially if these music events occur at intervals throughout the year? If I had been warned in advance I would have moved hotels and ensured my colleagues did likewise. At the very least, having asked for a quiet room, I should have been booked into the other side of the hotel in the first place. I was left exhausted for the remainder of the trip. On the plus side, I was offered a small bar of Movenpick chocolate as compensation!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but at least my kids enjoyed eating it when I got home.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear traveller,

Thank you for your review. We do apologize for the inconvenient and were misinformed about the length of this event. These events are not organized on a regular basis and we are doing what we can to prevent them from re-occuring in the future.

We tried to book most of our guests on the other side of the hotel or at least on higher floors.

Please do not hesitate to contact me whether you and your colleagues are travelling again in Amsterdam, we would like to make up for a negative experience.

Kind regards,

Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Free internet is painfully slow, upgrade costs 15€ / day. Other than that the hotel is nice. Good service and location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Bolton England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Good hotel , very modern, tea & coffee in room.
View of waterfront from room, cruise ships dock in at the side of hotel nearly every other day.
Tram stops outside of hotel which is very useful to take into centre although not that far to walk.
Only down side is breakfast is very expensive if not included in the price of your room. We were quoted £25 euros per person per day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for the good review! Let me correct you on the breakfast price - it is 23 EUR for a full-buffet breakfast. Many guests comment on the breakfast price, this is one of the main negative comments for all hotels in our category in Amsterdam, probably in other destinations too. Turns out ours is priced well within the range of our competitive set and we believe it offers good value. Of course we let guest decide for themselves and take note of teh comments. An alternative breakfast is served in the bar for those who do not wish to have a buffet breakfast or do not have the time.

Kind regards,

uk yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

stayed here for 3 nights in july

drinks and food and hotel way overpriced

we had free breakfast at the hotel but had to wait for ages while there so the hotel could confirm this this was annoying

breakfast i found average

hotel was clean and good views from room but thats about it and i would not return

dam station easy to get to by tram one stop i think and free mini bus to station by hotel was good but you have to book in advance it goes every 30mins

also went to the gym what a joke stuff missing on weight stuff got to be the worse gym i have ever seen

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center? Share your experiences!