“Good hotel and service but - use the safe” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Tot 30% korting
Ranked #40 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Good hotel and service but - use the safe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed at the Movenpick for 2 nights during September, for a conference. The room was on the 15 floor and commanded great views, it was also very adequate with regard to the size. The service within the hotel was good, and the food was great. The only issue I had during my stay – I left some loose change on the desk in my room. This change was left underneath my business cards. When I returned to the room all of my change had been taken. So I spoke to the people on reception, who told me that the cleaners are not allowed to take money in a room assuming it is a tip. It turns out that the cleaners are not direct employees and are contracted in. I know I should have used the safe, but I was still surprised to have money taken especially as it was underneath other things. However despite this, the staff on reception were great and reimbursed my money along with a gift from their shop as an apology. Overall I was very pleased with hotel and level of service and would recommend it. However if you don’t want any extra hassle – use the safe

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
managerAmsterdam, Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear sir,

Thank you for your comments. We discussed this incident. The cleaning staff seemed to have decided it was a tip left behind however house rules require that all objects and values found should be reported and brought to our 24-hour security.
Your tip on using the safe is very right, no hotels will re-imburse you on items missing since it is not always possible to control what exactly went missing and whodunit. A hotel can read the door locks and interview personnel, perform spot checks, however there is never any proof that something went missing in the first place.

A severe warning was done regarding the staff concerned here although they gave back the money.

Kind regards,

2,283 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Im writing my review as I am still staying here, because I know that when I check-out I just will never find the time to write a post, and it would be a pitty because this hotel is really worth it.

My criteria are quite strict on liking a hotel, probably because I work in a sphere of five star hotels, usually leading hotels of the world, and I am used to expecting the best service, food and accommodation, that is why my comments are based truly in comparison with a lot of other hotels, and from a hotelier perspective.

The check-in was good, not extremely welcoming I could say, but very efficient, informative and pleasant. The room is absolutely fantastic: modern, comfortable beds (from which it was so difficult to get up at 6am!), nice standing shower and a beautiful view to the Amstel from my room on the 18th floor! The conference facilities are modern, but quite typical in a good way. The food - absolutely incredible; both room service and the Silk Road restaurant.

Now the service, deserves a separate paragraph. Honestly - it got me to say a 'wow' at one point. At the restaurant, the girls where extremely friendly, engaged on a personal level with me, and where very efficient. The room service - not only did they greet me by name, asked how my sleep was, but also engaged in a friendly manner some questions about my stay and why I was up this early. And bravo to that! Many leading hotels have a standard of service - i.e, always use guest's name etc and ask some standard questions, but that's what I loved about this hotel is that, even not being part of them, they were completely within the frames of the standards, and they still exceeded my expectations.

So my honest suggestion to you is, if your traveling - stay here. It's easy to get to the center, a beautiful hotel and fantastic service. Oh, and free Wi-Fi. My stay is quite short, checking-out on wednesday, but I will be back for sure!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Angelina,

Thank you for this review we love Wows...

Our staff was very proud that it came from a peer active in the 5-star hotel segment!

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011 via mobile

Stayed six days on Executive floor. Room and bathroom were of good size. The decor was very new and clean. Very comfortable bed with down comforter. In-room nespresso machine and capsules. Great view from the room overlooking a concert hall next door facing the waterfront. Staff were polite and generally helpful. Hotel would help arrange shuttle to airport at very reasonable cost.

• Stayed April 2011
Swansea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I booked this hotel through last minute.com as a secret hotel, you basically don't know the name of the hotel until after you pay for it and due to this it is normally discounted quite a bit. Due to this I was a bit apprehensive about the hotel however, there was no need to be the hotel is great and I have no problems recommending it to anyone.

The hotel runs a free shuttle bus service from central station and I had arranged this with them beforehand by emailing them, they turned up on time and took us straight to the hotel which is only about a 10 min walk from central station.

When we arrived at the hotel the reception staff checked us in quickly and gave us some maps and info leaflets and told us how to catch the tram etc which was very handy.

The rooms are spacious and very nice, bathroom was spotless, all in all I couldn't fault the hotel, it was a nice pleasant experience staying there and I would definitely go back again

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
managerAmsterdam, Public Relations Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Kath,

We are very pleased with your comment, happy that you didn't buy a 'cat in a sack' as the expression goes. ;-)

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon,

Surrey, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

What a great place to stay. Near the water (from my room I saw a cruise ship come in to port), walk to the trams, or Central Station, close to downtown, as well as they have a complimentary shuttle and breakfast.
The staff are friendly in informative.
The room had everything you could ask for, up to date, clean.

Room Tip: Facing the water
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I stayed a weekend at the Moevenpick Amsterdam end of Sept 2011. I booked a room under a cooperate discount which was 30 - 40% below the online price.
A typical 4 stars hotel with good hospitality. The hotel is a 15-20 minutes walk from the train station. Ideal for those who want a quiet hotel close to the action. A bicycle & scooter rental store is a right in front of the hotel entrance (underground).Breakfast buffet was excellent, with lots of choice and stayed open till 10:30 AM. Helpful concierge and friendly reception.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

The Movenpick is a short 10 minute walk from Centraal Station, making it close to the city centre. The room was clean and spacious, although a little pricey if you are planning to spend not a lot of time there. The bar was nice, and the food in the restaurant was fantastic, especially the fishcakes and steak. The bar and restaurant are quite expensive, but probably not more so than a comparable hotel. There was also a fridge in the room if you wanted to buy your own drinks for in-room. Being slightly outside the centre also meant it was quiet, although you could hear trains in the distance but they didn't disturb our sleep. Now I know Amsterdam a bit better I would probably pick a canal street to be more central but would recommend this hotel. My only complaint would be the pillows which seemed to have no substance, however we didn't get round to mentioning this, but I expect if we had it would have been rectified.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing our hotel and for a great review...and yes, we have just received new firmer pillows for all rooms, they will be introduced as soon as we receive the appropriate linen that goes with them!

The Hotel Manager

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Center? Share your experiences!