“Not too bad, I'm sure there are worse hotels” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koninginneweg 34-36, 1075 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #197 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Telford, United Kingdom
“Not too bad, I'm sure there are worse hotels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I stayed at the Vondelpark Hotel for three nights this week. It's an ok place to rest your head but if you're expecting luxury then this certainly isn't for you. And considering it's meant to be 4* it leaves a little to be desired.

Pros - Decent location, nice staff, quiet at night.

Cons - Room size, bathroom, decoration, lots of noise early in the morning.

More details: The staff were polite and helpful and the location was ok as it was right next to Vondelpark, which is great for cycling and jogging, but it is a little far from the city centre. It's easily a 20 minute walk to the nearest museums/supermarket, and a further 20-30 minutes to get to Centraal Station and the inner city, and we walk at a rather fast pace. Trams do stop near the hotel though so that's a positive if you don't want to take the walk.

On the night, the streets were silent as everyone who went by was on bikes. However, come the morning (5.30 - 6am) deliveries start and the staff are not quiet. Crates, trollies and carts were crashing about at a ridiculous volume, along with lorries making loads of noise and bottles from the night before being put out. Not good if you fancy a lie in.

My brother and I shared a room and our room size wasn't too bad, but my dad's room was tiny and in a completely different part of the hotel. Our bathroom had a glass door, which was a little strange as my brother and I are adults, so you won't feel as though you have any privacy. There were cobwebs in the corner of the room and part of the wall above the bed had been damaged and not repaired. My dad's sink produced some terrible smells on the final night too.

The decoration throughout the hotel was unusual. Nothing matched, some of it looked retro, some looked modern and some just looked tired - there was no theme. None of the furniture matched and it all looked unsettled. The carpets could do with replacing too.

Bike hire was available through the hotel at 16 Euros for 24 hours. We found this to be quite useful and it's an excellent way to see Amsterdam.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

761 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bern, Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

next time I would prefer the 6th floor for not hearing people above us. The building is pretty old, although the rooms are partly renovated. breakfast was similar to other Carlson Hotels I have visited in Europe.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Salzburg, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We decided to stay in this hotel since reading some information about location, anywhere was stated that it is close to the city center. I believe this was not city center since you need to walk 30 min or more to reach some of main streets and attractions! but there is a tram just in front of the hotel. First impression was wow! reception area is really nice, modern and with perfect details. We entered in the elevator which was literary too small for 2 people with 2 small begs. When we entered the room I was shocked! it was on the roof top, duvet on bed was empty, no any fill inside since in te corners! This was really shamed for hotel as Park Plaza is. After conversation with front desk agents, we got another room in new part of the hotel (luckily even my rate would be 1!) which was really nice, pleasant and big enough.
If I will come back in Amsterdam again, will not go in this hotel definitely!

Room Tip: Ask for new part of the hotel! It is like in separate building downstairs from the front desk
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location and by the photos and descriptions on the website I was quite looking forward to the stay. I was given room 046 upon checking in and immediately noticed a quite unpleasant smell from the bathroom. I reported this to the front desk and it seemed they were aware of such a problem but not in that particular room. The gentleman I spoke to (who it later transpired was the manager) blamed the smell on the fact that housekeeping had not done something they should have done to the drains. I was moved to room 046 and immediately went out to explore the area. Upon returning to room 046 the dreaded smell had arrived in this room as well. I was too tired to deal with it so went to bed. First thing the next morning I reported this to reception and was given an upgrade to an Executive room - 015. I think housekeeping had forgotten to finish in this room as the blankets were not properly covering the bed, the Nespresso coffee maker was unplugged and sitting on the floor and there was no coffee or spoons to stir it with. The room itself was not what I would refer to as an upgrade from the first two. It was indeed larger but very dark and depressing and very dated. Fast forward to my final evening when I return back to the hotel and the smell has now appeared in the bathroom of room 015. The next morning I was awake very early (not sure if this was because of the smell) and was out walking through town and had breakfast. When I returned I went to report this smell to the manager. He claimed that the only thing he could offer me in terms of any compensation was a free breakfast (which I declined as I'd already had breakfast) and a refund of the city tax on the room which is 10 Euros - the reason he could not refund more was (according to him) was because I had booked and paid through Expedia! I would avoid this hotel at all costs. Also it claims to be 'near Dam Square' if you call 12 stops away on the tram 'near' then you'll be near! I don't call that 'near'

Room Tip: I can only comment on the rooms in the building adjacent to the main building - but maybe those in t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Bonn, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stayed there at the weekend to go out in amsterdam. The distance to the city is ok there is a tram stop directly in front of the house. Line 2 takes you to the city center. Check in was fast but the staff could at least tell the guests the breakfast times when its included booked. Public areas are nice but the room is in urgent need of a renovation. The carpet looks shabby and worn also the furniture. Even when the minibar is empty you should clean it (picture). The bathroom... (picture)
The room was at least quiet.
Breakfast was great with a huge selection of food and drinks. The hotelbar is also very nice with vondelpark view.
After renovation i would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel, and so I was disappointed that the room offered was smaller than the one we had last time. However, it seemed OK at first. The noise coming from a neighbouring room was reported and dealt with swiftly.
However, there was a smell coming from the drains which was not pleasant. We put this down to stagnant water, and hoped that once we had used the shower and other facilities, the smell would dissipate. It did not, and when we returned to our room after being out all day, the smell was still there, and the bed had not been made. I commented to my husband that this was the first time I had stayed in a hotel without the room being cleaned.
We reported the smell to Reception in the early evening, but nothing was done. When we returned after dinner, we reported it again, and this time someone came and agreed with us that it was really not acceptable. S we ended up changing rooms at midnight.
The room we were moved to was much larger, and there was no smell from the drains.
I am very disappointed that we had to complain more than once before remedial action was taken. I might add that we had to pay the full price for the room.
This is a nice hotel in a quiet location, on a direct tram line to the station, and within walking distance of the museum quarter. The breakfast is very nice. Customer service is something that needs work, as well as some of the drains.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I have just returned from spending 3 nights in this hotel. At first I was a little bit dubious with it being out of town but I was so glad we booked this one. Easy to get from Centraal station on the tram and takes about 20 mins however it is a nice ride and you get to know your surroundings. We got a 4 day tram ticket from the office just outside the entrance to Centraal station which cost 21 euros each (well worth the money as we went everywhere via tram) You get the line 2 tram and it's easier to get off at emmastraat and walk up the road to the hotel.
The room was modern and I would say to make sure you know who you are staying with before booking as there is no concrete wall around the bathroom just glass with shaded panels and the sink area is actually in the room. All of the staff that we encountered were really friendly especially the reception staff who couldn't do enough for you. We were leaving late on the final day and they securely stored our luggage for us while we made the most of our last day and even offered that we could store our luggage at the Park Plaza near the station which is handy to know for future. Would definately book again

Room Tip: We stayed in 358 quiet in the back part of the hotel overlooking a residential house
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam? Share your experiences!