“Violation of Guest Privacy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koninginneweg 34-36, 1075 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #197 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Violation of Guest Privacy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My serious concerns here:

1. Room booked 'Superior double room' -room offered below superior double room ( exclusion on mini bar, 24 hour shuttle service to Airport costing 35 Euros)

2. Billing process: I am asked for my credit card on 9 November 2013 to bill my dinner worth 6.5 Euro, the bill is made for 75 Euro's. The explanation given here is it is a policy to take advance and the adjustments should be made on my credit card two days post my check out.
Please note this is when I have already paid my complete room boolkings over expedia.

It is an apology to have a brand such as the Park group be manned by a team who is violating the very basics of hospitality.

I ask the management of the hotel to look into this immedaitely and ensure my dues are back in my account within the next 24 hours.

The consumer court is always the last option.

Poonam Madan
New Delhi, India

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

on arriving, there was only 1 person working at the front desk. the lady named Brenda
was very helpful and friendly. there is no concierge or bell boys assisting to take the luggage to the room. lobby is very small. we were greeted by pink walls and old carpets in
the corridors leading to our room.
on entering the room, the carpet was of a very old nature and the room did not fit our standards.
the hotel is very old. perfect for a hostel or back packers lodge.
i was forced to check out within 10 minutes of my arrival and find another hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Booked an executive room only got a standard which looked over a back yard of someone's property and was very cold, the air-con didn't work properly, but I was still charged for an executive room when queried I was told that all the rooms are the same. Breakfast buffet was very poor and repetitive. I found the waiting and bar staff very friendly. A very average hotel who think they are better and is letting the chain of hotels down.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Our company's travel agency booked this hotel for my business trip. Hotel is located a little outside city centre, but is in very nice area and very close to some tram lines, it takes only 15 to 20 minutes to get to the central station by tram. Hotel staff were not very helpful or friendly, but not rude either. Rooms are otherwise nicely decorated, but the glass-wall toilet was a bit too odd to my native scandinavian taste. Breakfast was tasty and has good selection. In overall, very mediocre experience: not good, not bad...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed at this hotel last week for 3 nights with work. Room size was amazing, especially for Amsterdam, staff were great all really friendly and really helpful answering my daft questions at 11pm when I arrived.

Didn't try the food but the bar was good. Quite a few other hotel guests there each night.

Hotel is near the Vondelpark and on tram route 2. From the airport bus 197 drops off round the corner and down the road a bit. It's therefore really easy to get anywhere. It's a quiet area too which makes it even more pleasant.

When the trams stop running then it's a €20 taxi from Dam square.

Would recommend this hotel for anyone stopping in Amsterdam, I've been to Amsterdam 3 times and this is by far the nicest hotel I've stopped at and the most spacious.

The room even had a UK power socket on the desk. That's good thinking.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Having stayed at several properties within the Park plaza portfolio I was expectant of the usual mid market standard of the hotel group. What I was not expecting was the following;
1. Check in - Park plaza's internal system had assigned my booking to another individual of the same name- resulting in both severe confusion of the check in operative and me being provided with a sheet detailing this individuals personal details including address, telephone number and email address and passport number ? - unusual and also I would have thought against data protection laws.
I was then asked to "prove" the fact that I had a reservation by emailing my confirmation to the hotel - it seemed that the check in operative could not read the reservation on my laptop screen only on his ? Additionally the reservation number I repeatedly offer to quote would not suffice. Following the receipt of my email the check in operative was then more concerned about forensically analyzing why the error had occurred on the internal system than actually checking a paying guest into the hotel. 25 minutes later we were finally checked in - a perfect end to a day that started with a 5am flight.
2. The room - on entering our room the disappointment only increased. An attic room with a delightful orange and pink carpet greeted us. To the right was something that resembled half green house/ half latrine- call me old fashioned but sharing the sounds of my daily ablutions with my partner is not what I expect from a stay in a four star property. An initial inspection of the bed revealed what on first glance resembled scrunched up clothes beneath the sheets- actually just the duvet cover filling had clumped up ??
At least we had a kettle for a cup of coffee - alas it was not working !( later we found it was working - but only with the lights on !!)
This compendium of issues prompted me to return to the front desk to request both an explanation and an alternative room.
3. The front desk - I returned and spoke to the check in operative whom had taken so very long to check us in. I raised the issues and following a little discussion the following was offered
a. the duvet is just like that - when it gets washed it clumps up - no alternative ?
b. the "ensuite" was a concept installed five years ago to renovate the rooms - ( surprisingly) it has admittedly not been very well received !!
c. I was offered an alternative room -seeming success - however when I entered that room was an exact replica of the current room I was occupying !!! - therefore absolutely no assistance was in fact provided.
I can only encourage people to steer clear of this hotel and all the woes it may cause.

Room Tip: Choose an alternative hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Pretty typical European hotel, rooms very clean and efficient, everything works. The Vondelpark location is just down the street from Rijksmuseum, with plenty of bars, restaurants, shops in the immediate walking vicinity. About 15 minutes from Schipol by taxi, yet still in the "heart" of Amsterdam.

Breakfast (not included in room rate) is Euro buffet, with both continental and English, and quality just above average compared to other business hotels, but below what you would see at NH or Marriott.

Staff all super friendly, knowledgable, and helpful.

The hallway areas had a rundown, older feel to them, but the rooms are totally modern and updated.

I was by myself on this trip, and this hotel was perfect for that. Had I been on a family trip, the room would have been way too small.

Room Tip: Rooms in the "annex" are larger and have king size beds.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam? Share your experiences!