“Worn down hotel, but quiet with a good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koninginneweg 34-36, 1075 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #191 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Bergen, Norway
“Worn down hotel, but quiet with a good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Very centrally located hotel. Helpful staff. Hotel room not of the best, small, strange arrangement and difficult to work there as the desk did not have lightning. The rrom was somewhat worn down, especially the carpets. But a nice view to the park from a room at the top floor. Very quiet area, bed OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

10 mins taxi ride from the main nightlife in Amsterdam - or same by tram. Close to the park and the museum district. Rooms were bright and clean, bar was good if a little boring and restaurant was very good for breakfast (this was the only meal I ate there). I stayed three nights and the stay was very enjoyable. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good:
Nice hotel, good location, easy with tramp, good breakfast

Bad:
Very bad service at reception. No smiles and when we had questions the staff in the reception were annoyed. They also forgot to clean our room. We were in Amsterdam because of the Marathon - but eventhough there were lots of runners at the hotel we did not meet any flexibility due to changing breakfast time or possibility to take a shower after the run.

Room Tip: Search for an other hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Where to begin with this disappointment of a hotel? Park Plaza should be embarrassed that their name is attached to this establishment. If you look at their hotel website there is a break down of the level of rooms available. The lowest level being a “superior room.” Of which there are 97 listed. But if you go to their photo gallery, and who doesn’t look at the photos of a hotel, there isn’t a single photo of these so-called “superior” rooms. I’m sure this was no accident. If they had photos of these rooms, then no one would be choosing to stay with them.

I assumed everyone in my group were staying in rooms just as awful as ours since we were all paying the same rate. The last night I was there, I toured several of my co-workers rooms and boy was I shocked. Shocked at how bad our room was in comparison, and shocked that someone could possibly say these rooms were all on the same “superior” level. We had 6 other guests come to view our room and they could not get over the shoe box we were staying in, and began to count their lucky stars that they had not gotten our luck.

So here’s the break down of this “superior” room:

The room had no bathroom. That is to say, no separate room for which to shower, change, relieve oneself etc. There were two completely clear boxes in the middle of the room. One was the shower, one was the toilet. The doors had some frosting at almost my eye level to my knee level. There was nothing left to the imagination if I wanted to use the toilet or shower. My room mate/co-worker, of the opposite gender, is taller than me, so this “frosted door” didn’t do anything. There were no shower hooks, and what good would they even do when I have to leave the “privacy” of the shower to even get a towel. There was a stool that our dirty towels were stacked on. I took to asking my room mate to leave the room just so I could use the toilet, and he began using the toilet in the lobby.

The beds were tiny and uncomfortable and heaven forbid you want to walk past the edge of the bed to get to the other side of the room since there was barely 1 1/2 foot of space at the end of the bed. But even if you do wish to go to the other side of the room beware, that wall/ceiling is where the tv is mounted, so my room mate has to mind his head under the tv and squeeze past the end of the bed.

What else, what else....oh right. No heater of any kind. There is only an air conditioner. Wouldn’t be a problem except it got below 50F at night. So I had to sleep in sweat pants, sweat shirt and socks. The window constantly felt like it was open so it was drafty and freezing and I could hear everything that went on outside my window. And since that was the only place to put one of my suitcases, my clothes in the morning felt like they were wet because they were so cold. I don’t know about anyone else but the last thing I want to do before going out into the cold is put on cold clothes.

In addition to the noise from outside the window, I could hear everything that was going on in the hotel. I could hear every door opening and closing, every voice in the hall. Everyone in our group said they felt like they were in a dormitory.

There are many lights in the room including two reading lamps over the bed. Too bad those don’t work. There are multiple light switches around the room. There was only one switch that controlled all of the lights, none of the others worked, so it was all on or all off. Which if you remember that really uncomfortable toilet situation means if I have to go in the middle of the night, I get to wake my room mate up with all of the lights on and me sitting on the toilet in the middle of the room! Good morning!

Under the carpet there was no padding. It felt like carpet on cement, so you couldn’t walk barefoot, but it was freezing in the room so you wouldn’t want to any way. Other people in our group that also had “superior” rooms were treated to actual bath ROOMS, garden bath tubs, rooms twice the size of ours, refrigerators and heated towel racks. Their rooms looked like heaven compared to the crap we were living in for a week.
If you are lucky enough to be put into one of the other buildings then good for you. The rooms are enormous, and beautiful. Everything is new looking, clean and spacious. You can see them on their website since those are the only photos they have of their rooms.

I read the reviews on here after being shocked at our room and saw all the people talking about the tiny rooms with inappropriate bath rooms. They stated that they complained to the front desk and that the front desk wasn’t surprised by the complaint and moved them to another room. I wish I had known that there were rooms better than our shoe box.

This is the 29th hotel I have stayed in this year alone, and I have to say this is the worst hotel of the year, congratulations Park Plaza! This room was a complete joke. Too bad I wasn’t laughing. I can’t wait to tell all of my friends to stay far far away from you.

Room Tip: Not in the main building where reception is, make sure your room number is only double digits.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here during a business trip and was satisfied with the room and the location of the hotel. It's close to the park if you want to go for a run or something at night or in the morning which was a big plus for me. The rooms are stylish and clean but small and I didn't like the fact that the shower and toilet was in a glass-box in the bedroom. The bed was comfy though and it was quiet during night. I will also warn everybody for the room-service food, it was hardly eatable, but there are several good restaurants in the nearby area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a meeting booked there and from the very beginning, the attitude of the hotel staff was horrible. Every single staff that I have spoke with on the phone prior to our trip gave me attitudes when all I wanted was hotel confirmations for my group. The hotel refused to confirm reservation for me and my colleagues three days before we arrived and told me they will have it one day before arrival. I explained to them that I am travelling internationally and I just want to make sure I have a room, the reservation staff told me they have more important things to do than confirm my reservation. My colleague arrived early in the morning than I did and the hotel told her that they don't have our reservation. Around a whole lot of screaming and freaking out, they finally have our rooms. Although when I arrived, my reservation was still wrong.

The hall way of the hotel was small, you can only fit one person with one luggage at a time, The carpet looked old and dirty. The room smelled dusty. The bathroom was the most weird, the silk is outside the bathroom, there is absolutely no space to put your own things and even the metal bar soup holder is tilted to one side. While we were there, the staff continued to give me attitude and not willing to accommodate anything at all. It is just absolutely horrible!! The only slightly good thing was one banquet manager was nice and helpful for our meeting. However, the location of the hotel is actually very very great! It is situated in a quieter area of Amsterdam but the neighbourhood is actually awesome, with great restaurants and places to walk around. I feel bad for this hotel as it has such potential of being located in a great area but have such bad services that scares people away. The hotel needs a major makeover too...

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Very pleasant hotel with typically (for the continent) welcoming staff. Hotel is conveniently located for Vondel Park and about 25 mins walk to the Rijks Museum, it was a great base for exploring the city. Situated in a predominantly residential area there are many good restaurants in the vicinity. My room was at the front of the property and was a little small, as was the bathroom which would have benefited from a refresh but was clean. Hotel restaurant was spotlessly clean and offered a very good breakfast and lunch. Bar was roomy with a deck overlooking the quiet residential streets behind the hotel. Overall a very comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the property.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam? Share your experiences!