“Yes and No...I'm Torn!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koninginneweg 34-36, 1075 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #191 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam
“Yes and No...I'm Torn!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We used this hotel to make a group booking for our wedding guests, most of which, were new to Amsterdam.

The new parts of the hotel are excellent. Very trendy with exciting design features and furniture in all the communal areas and bedrooms. A sweet hand written note and drink and snack on arrival in your room and lots of them offering lovely views. There are however many un-refurbished bedrooms. These are fine; nothing more. This lead to a few issues when dealing with a large group all paying the same price for extremely different qualities of bedroom.

We stayed in the Suite which was great, no complaints.

The main issue with our group was bathrooms. Many had problems with their bathroom sinks - either draining extremely slowly or being totally blocked. Another point to note is that the newer rooms may not be suitable for friends/family but more suited to couples, depending on how shy you are when it comes to showering and bodily functions...!The bathroom wall is thin glass with just a frosted centre line to shield the view and it open top and bottom so almost all that goes on in there can be seen and heard.

The hotel bar is surprising cheap,and a good breakfast is on offer. At the time we stayed, lunch was not available in the hotel. The location is perfect for visitors with museums, Vondelpark, and Leidseplein all in walking distance.

I'm a bit torn on this hotel really...my personal stay was great value and problem free but I heard different stories from members of my party.

Room Tip: I would recommend requesting an upgraded room when making a booking.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
worldwide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

So on booking there were mixed reviews on here and I really should have known to of taken note of these, especially as a senior contributor (hangs head in shame)...

So walking from central Amsterdam took me 40min, I am young and fit and only had a small bag, but the walk is not 20mins as I did this regularly during my 4 night stay. At the desk were 3 people before me, all guests. All complaining. All wanting to change rooms. All had an individual complaint and it appeared 'view' as is the norm in hotels was not it. So as the three guests before me, 2 just checked in and one already checked in the day before were given room moves I was checked in. Front desk staff at this point was not really attentive and further kept me waiting before calling me over. They seemed tired and demotivated.

I was directed to my room and from reviews I read, the lobby was the only place travellers considered to be clean and presentable. Well, I found it dirty and smelly (sewage) so was really kicking myself as I made my way to the room. I went down the stairs past the restaurant and entered the secondary building and took the lift to my floor. It was a long time waiting as housekeeping were using it at the same time, so I was expected to let it go and wait as they moved up and down floors with their trolleys with no space for me.

Corridor carpets are extremely dirty, pink and orange I suppose nice at the time but not great for high levels of traffic or maybe not that great if you’re not going to attend to them on a daily basis. The room carpet was just as dirty and I didn’t walk barefoot during my stay whilst in my room.

Wi-Fi code was given and this was great for my needs during my stay. The TV and air conditioning were perfect. The mini bar was empty which after a long journey was a little disappointing as with the hot weather I was willing to purchase refreshments, however there was a vending machine on the ground floor and a shop nearby.

The bathroom did smell as the drain runs the length of the shower as seems a major complaint, but I was showering twice a day sometimes three due to the sticky weather and as I have experienced with hotels over many years warm rooms left unattended for a night or so, the 'U' bends can dry out allowing smells to come back up so regular use of the shower meant the smell did not return after my first night. Privacy would of been an issue with the toilet and shower being only semi-enclosed behind the partially frosted screen should of been staying with friends etc.

Two single duvets on a king size bed, was awkward as when you turned in the night you became exposed, with the air conditioning on for the warm weather, kept waking up to find myself slightly chilly.

A friend of mine whom I had come to visit lives only 3 streets away, he informed me the area is the 'Knightsbridge' of Amsterdam and it really is a beautiful area with exclusive shops and restaurants of which I enjoyed. He always thought the hotel looked a 'little' out of place and on entering he was shocked to witness where I was staying and although he did not have the room to put me up, he did offer me his sofa, that’s how dad it was.

I came and went to visit my friends and sightsee around the city, I did ask the reception team questions and in the end stopped as it seemed I was an inconvenience to them, especially the mature lady with the blonde hair, no eye contact, huffing and puffing, casually pointing in approximate round about fashion when giving directions.

The restaurant is closed and only operates for breakfast which was just cereal and pastries and was included in my rate but I didn’t take on any of the mornings opting for outside establishments that could meet my needs.

There are no light food bites or snacks offered in the bar nor is there room service meals as indicated on the park plaza website to which I enquired during my stay.

I wouldn’t recommend, I wouldn’t stay here again, not sure I will stay Park Plaza again outside of the UK. Shame.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Having read some mixed reviews I was a little concerned about staying in this hotel, but it was much more affordable than ones I was looking at in the centre. The service was very good. The room would have been lovely if not for the carpet (purple with orange blobs on it) and bathroom (glass door separating the bathroom from the bedroom= no privacy). It was clean and had all the amenities we needed. I had staying by the central station a few years ago and much preferred this location. It was a little walk out of the centre, but through either the park or interesting streets. The tram stop is round the corner - they run every ten minutes or so and it takes about 20 to get into the centre. We would stay here again.

Hinsdale, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. The front desk people could not have been more helpful. Also had great service in the bar. However our room was poorly lighted - there was no light by the desk so it was difficult to work there at night. Also the toilet and shower were part of the room - only separated by a partially frosted glass partition. We did like the little refrigerator availability but very little storage space was a problem.
Another positive was the location - a very short walk to the tram stop and walking distance to several good restaurants.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a separate bathroom
Arnhem
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

The hotel is located in a very nice area, called Amsterdam Oud-Zuid, near the Vondelpark. A big park in the middle of Amsterdam.
The hotel is easy to reach by public transportation, use the tram line 2, exit Emmastraat. Or it is a 20 minute walk from the Leidsche Plein.
The reception area is nice and tidy and very modern. We booked a superior room and were given a room on the 6th floor on the backside of the hotel. This is very nice as it is quiet and you can only hear the birds sing. The front might be a bit different as the tram is running through the street.
The room is quite nice but it was very warm. Which surprised us as it had been quite cold in the Netherlands the days before. The room has A/C but it makes quite some noice and it was unable to cool the room. it stayed 25 degrees.
The room has coffee and tea making facilities which we like and there was some complementary Arizona Ice tea. A pleasant surprise.
What we did not like was the bathroom. As we like design hotels we are used to glas doors, but the door to the bathroom did not close at all. So no privacy what so ever. It was badly constructed.

The room certainly had a lot of potential but it was just a bit worn down.

The breakfast room is very nice. Very light and the buffet was fine as well. A typical Dutch breakfast buffet. Fresh fruit, different kind of bread, 2 kinds of yoghurt, good coffee and plenty other things to choose from.

The staff was kind and helpful.

I think I would choose a different hotel next time, although I loved the area. If they would do some work on the rooms, renovating the bathroom and A/C I am sure I would come back but for now I think it was an one time only.

Room Tip: a room on the back side of the hotel is quieter.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed in this hotel, as my usual choice of hotels in Amsterdam were fully booked. The hotel is in a nice quiet area of the city, a little out of the way, but in a good way!
There are some nice unassuming restaurants nearby (including an excellent Tapas restaurant), and you cannot beat the location for being basically on the edge of Vondel park. One of my key needs for a hotel when on business is a nice area to go running.
The room itself though was absolutely terrible. The door was exactly the width of my shoulders, and I'm not a big guy. The size of the room was fine (all hotels in amsterdam are small, due to space being a premium in the city), but zero effort has been put into its appearance and comfort. Many of the army barracks I used to stay in would rate above this. A few points:
- No decor whatsoever
- Two pillows on a double bed only
- A chair which dated from before the industrial revolution
- The desk was only just deep enough to fit my laptop with the screen open
If you are reading this, ensure you pay for a better room, as the ones on the website are nothing like what I stayed in.
The front desk were nice and friendly, but I suppose they have to be, to prepare you for the room they are going to ask you to stay in.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks like the pictures on the website.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam? Share your experiences!