“Awful - worst hotel I have ever stayed in....” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koninginneweg 34-36, 1075 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #195 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Cheshire
“Awful - worst hotel I have ever stayed in....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

If I could give this minus I would!
We had one of the rooms with the glass cubical bathroom the room was spacious but the smell knocked me sick. I could smell the drains from the corridor leading to the room. We complained and they offered to move us but we couldn't get moved to a double room, which is what my husband booked. Ben on reception had a look at the room and he fixed the drain issue and we could smell disinfectant and it wasn't too bad so we agreed to stay in that room. However after we'd been out and came back to go to bed, the smell was worst than ever and it knocked me sick. We slept with both windows opened as far as they would go. I sprayed body to try and get rid of the smell but you could still smell it. My brother-in-law was on the floor above us and his room smelled equally as bad if not worst.
We were travelling with some friends and my husband had booked them a twin room and they got given a double room after Ben telling us that we couldn't move to another double room. They then asked to move to a twin rooms and the room was small and dingy and the beds were right next to each other like a double so they might as well have stayed in the room they were originally given. Then when they went for a shower the shower head was broken and wouldn't stay in place so they had to tie it up with the washing line for it to stay in place.
On the Saturday morning we went for breakfast and that was a complete shambles all the tables were dirty and full of used crockery, I asked a lady to clear some tables for us to use and she just moved the dirty dishes she didn't wipe the table or reset it for us to use. I then had to ask someone to wipe them and set them. When we finally got seated we went to get a cooked breakfast but there were no bacon, no scrambled eggs and loads of people were asking how long it was going to be and standing around waiting. Then when the fresh food finally arrived it didn't all come at the same time and once the bacon came they ran out of sausages or beans. When we went to get a drink they ran out of clean mugs then when they brought mugs the coffee machine ran out of coffee. It was so disorganised and a complete shambles. Also someone needs to give poor Rilanna a new uniform, her's was so tight it looked like she was wearing someone else's uniform and it couldn't possibly be comfortable.
We complained again on Saturday morning regarding the room smell and Ben on the front desk advised that the hotel was full so they couldn't move us. He offered us some free drinks in the bar by way of compensation which was ok as the bar was rather pleasant and not as expensive as most hotel bars. He said he'd go and have a look at the drains again and see if there was anything they could do, but it smelled as bad as ever Saturday night. Also the open glass cubicles with toilet and shower are not the best, we're married but out of respect for each other if we wanted a number 2 we used the toilets downstairs near the lift. It's quirky but not hygienic or very nice if your sharing a room.
The hotel is in a good location and the park is lovely on a nice day. The pomegranate and green tea and the caramel waffles left in the room was a nice touch but not sure if we got this because we'd complained as my brother-in-law got the same, but our friends staying in the other building didn't!
My husband works in travel and he won't be recommending this hotel to any of his customers. One to avoid, I was very disappointed and it did put a downer on the weekend.
Stay at the renaissance that's much nicer!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the annex!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

762 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bramley, Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of days to start off our honeymoon. When we mentioned the reason for our visit they kindly upgraded us to one of their lovely superior suites. Location was perfect for what we wanted - just next to the park which was a great place for food and relaxation but also a half hour walk into town and all the attractions. Exactly what we wanted. The only reason its a 4 not a 5 is because the original room we'd paid for was OK but not that great, 2 single beds pushed together to make a double and pretty small.

Room Tip: Book the better rooms if you can - its worth it!
Amsterdam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

A great boutique hotel in nice quiet area but close enough to walk into town,tram stop 200mtrs away.rooms stylish and modern with on suite.large beds and satellite and free wifi.wot else do you need!.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sandefjord, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We decided for this hotel for a weekend getaway in Amsterdam, it was an ok experience.
The design of the room was cool, all in one space... No walls to separate the toilette from the room, just glass, it was funny. The rooms a very nice detail from the hotel manager in our room (waffles and green tea), it was very much appreciated. The bed was delicious, I must say...

But... The reception has to improve, we had a very rude receptionist when we arrived that almost took our patience out, we were so tempted to just ask her, what was her problem... The curtains let the light come in so it was not possible to get sleep in the morning...

In general it was OK, but I would, not come back... Basically cause of the location (a little bit out of the center) and the a natural light coming in the morning....

Stayed April 2013
Basingstoke, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My stay was only for one night as I was on a short business trip. My choice of hotel was limited to those on our preferred list and influenced also by the fact that this was a preferred hotel of one of my suppliers and on the right side of the city for commuting to their offices.
Although not directly in the city centre, the Park Plaza it is situated in a quiet, leafy and pleasant residential neighborhood and right by the Vondelpark. It is also on the Tram 2 line, so the Central Station, Museums etc. are easily accessible.
Check in was easy and efficient although I was not given any information regarding upgrades, breakfast times etc. Reception staff were polite though and I’m sure would have provided information if asked.

My room was on the 2nd floor, it was a bit tired but clean and functional. It had two single beds pushed together, a desk, flat screen TV and a safe. Whilst clean, the bathroom was small, with an adequate shower but gave little privacy as all that separated it from the main bedroom area was a glass partition.
There was some road noise and you could hear other guests entering or leaving their rooms and having general conversations. So from a sound insulation perspective it wasn’t that great.
The coffee machine in the room was a nice touch and provided decent coffee.

The bar lounge area had a nice vibe to it, and was in much better decorative order than the rooms. Drinks prices were not outrageous. Breakfast was a buffet style, with a nice selection. It was self service, so the staff were quite “invisible”, there to replenish food etc. but not really to serve.

All in all an average hotel in a good location

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Having arrived at Park Plaza Vondelpark on a very rainy Thursday, and having had no sleep for over 40 hours, we were keen to get to our rooms and have a nap. The staff were friendly from the offset; however, the room, as other people have mentioned, was far from the "superior double" highlighted in my booking confirmation.

Overwhelmed with fatigue, we stayed in the room for a kip, but it was cold, the decor was outdated and the room was tiny with two twin beds. I wrote an email to the front desk to convey my dissatisfaction.

Upon waking, we had received a reply. They had no double rooms available for that evening but said to check again the next day. On their instruction, we checked the next morning and they had another room ready for us in the other side of the building.

This room was much more spacious, modern and fitted the description of what I had signed up for! It was the kind with a glass bathroom, but even a British prude like me was able to overcome this. The TVs in the rooms are Samsung flat screens with plenty of English channels for when resting in the hotel. The wall could have perhaps done with a lick of paint, as it was looking tired, but it was a much quieter, much warmer and, overall, much better room!

The staff are extremely helpful and accommodating so, if you do end up with an older room, be sure to ask what they can do for you!

• Stayed April 2013
Cardiff, South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed with friends for a weekend break of 3 nights.
Location may not be central but is in a very nice suburb , you just need to get used to the Dutch tram system, pretty easy, the stop is a few minutes walk from the hotel.
We were disappointed initially with the size of the room, we had booked a superior room that was certainly on the small size coupled with the fact that the bathroom is enclosed by a glass screen, if you faced the wrong direction on the bed I could see my partners sillohette while using the toilet which was 3 foot away.I eventually had a room upgrade to an "executive room" on the ground floor, in essence this was just a larger room..
The clealiness of the rooms need attention .
The reception staff were very helpful especially Iris.
We were disappointed as the cost was not the best for such an average standard. Not what I expected of such a well known brand.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MNieuwenhuize, General Manager at Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Cardifftop from Cardiff, South Wales,

Thank you for your response and especially your nice compliment for Iris which I have told her immediately.

Also your comment regarding our Housekeeping I have passed directly because we always would like to offer the highest level.

Looking forward seeing you in the future!

Kind regards,
Maarten Nieuwenhuize

Been to Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam? Share your experiences!