“Lovely hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam to your Saves list
Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Koninginneweg 34-36, 1075 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book now & save up to 20%
Ranked #197 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
UK
“Lovely hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

The hotel is situated in the outskirts of Amsterdam next to Vondelpark (well worth a stroll through) and within walking distance of the major museums (Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum, etc). It is a couple of tram stops away from the centre, but we always walked there and back and it never seemed a great distance. The area is really well to do, and there are plenty of small restaurant/bar/brasserie-type establishments dotted around for a nice dinner and drinks.

The staff are friendly and helpful, with excellent command of English. You can get advance tickets for the major museums, which saves a LOT of queueing time and stress (nb. you'll probably still need to q a bit, but the advance ticket queues are shorter), and ours were a little discounted too. Our room was an executive suite, it was large, clean, it had a tv with lots of channels (including bbc one, two, and three, and itv 1 and 2), a fridge, complementary coffee and tea, and the bed was very comfy and warm. I found the room was very quiet, we were there at high season and I never heard any other guests (though there were plenty at the hotel).

The only issue I had, and I noticed others have mentioned it too, was the ensuite. The toilet was sectioned off the by (frosted) glass walls which didn't reach the ceiling, meaning there was very little privacy. In the end, we had to resort to using the public restrooms downstairs -that in itself wasn't a major thing, but considering we decided to pay a bit extra to have an ensuite room, the toilet set up kind of defeated the purpose of an ensuite.

I am glad we stayed at the Vondelpark Plaza as it is in a very nice area and Vonderpark is wonderful, but I am uncertain about the ensuite. If it is not the sort of thing that bothers you, I would heartily recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
AvKemenade, General Manager at Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Owly123,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your stay with us.

We are happy to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable and also we would like to thank you for your positive comments on our staff and hotel services.

I would like to apologize for inconvenience the room set up might has caused. I can only apologize to you, and also inform you that despite the inconvenience it might cause, this is part of the Hotel design.
We appreciate your given feedback and will definitely use it to fine tune our operations in the future.

Thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you in the future when you are back in Amsterdam.

Best regards,

Maarten Nieuwenhuize
Hotel Manager Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam

761 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My first visit to Amsterdam, I wanted to be based centrally and certainly Park Plaza's website didn't give me the impression it was anything like central, however, my experience is that the Website over estimated it's travel time from the centre (refreshing) and I found it never took as long as 15 minutes, the shortest time leaving the hotel was 10, the longest was 13 minutes.

The area the hotel was in gave me the impression of high end location, the hotel itself was excellent, my only slight criticism was that I could only find breakfast, I never found dinner served within the hotel, however, reception was excellent at recommending me good places to eat.

The hotel public rooms were very nice, my room was excellent - I managed to get a deal which was a bonus but I'd have been happy to pay full price - although at full price I may have gone for central hotels instead, so it was a happy situation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just arrived back from a 3 week holiday with my boyfriend, three of theses nights were spent at this hotel which was highly dissapointing. This is the first time Ive ever taken the time to write up a review especially considering ive just arrived back home in Australia around 4 hours ago and feel the need to let others know what they could expect. I booked this accomodation approx 5 months before leaving for this trip and from looking at the pics it seemed idlyllic. When checking in the lady at reception informed me that there was no double beds left and me and my boyfriend would be sleeping in two single beds pushed together!! She said that when you book there is no guarantee that you will get what you want as your "sleeping preference!". I was absolutely gob smacked by this and told her I was not happy at all. She called up the house keeper to see if they could arrange a thin mattress to be placed down to fill in the gap but there was none available. The lady at reception then said that if i paid an extra 50 euro per night!! I could upgrade to an executive suite with free breakfast, internet, tram tickets and a drink voucher from the bar. She showed me the two rooms which were average but no way worth and extra 150 euros on top of what I already paid. In the end I chose the room with the two single beds pushed together. Went up to the room and was disgusted as soon as I opened the door!!! the two beds were LUMPY and the room was old and stale. Threw our bags down and decided we needed to get out for a walk to calm down. After a couple of hours we came back and noticed there was no TV in our room (not that we planned to watched any). It was the last straw so we headed back down to reception and spoke to a different lady who without any trouble changed our room to a double bed!!! what we had wanted in the first place!! We opened the door to our new room and were delighted with what we seen!!! we had a nice double bed with a quirky glass bathroom. I would still advise people to stay here because its in a beautiful area of amsterdam. Its within walking distance of everything and out of the busy main center. We had such nice weather that we only used the trams twice. The only thing I would say is it just seems your luck of the draw wither you get a nice and helpful receptionist that is willing to make your stay a pleasant one. I remember seeing a few other guests having problems with that one particular receptionist so my advice is dont settle for anything less and dont pay the money for an upgrade!!!

Room Tip: There are some good and bad rooms in this hotel, dont settle for a grotty one!!
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

We have just come back from a 3 night break , which sadly was a dissapointment on all counts. The hotel is NOT a 4 star more like a 2. The general decor is dated and tasteless and the room small,grotty, two lumpy single beds pushed together,with two single duvets,clearly not a double bed as requested ! The air-conditioning unit flashed 'change filter' the TV whilst did'nt work came on in the night with a white screen, and the bed wasnt made. BUT this wasnt the reason why our stay was so bad. We had booked weeks ago, the 3 day express package to include a day trip via coach to Floriade, a flower show held once every ten years. We arrived on Sunday, we asked reception staff about when we could go on the trip,and was told that they had'nt heard of the trip,and as the weather forcast was bad for Monday we should go on the Tuesday, but he would let us know that evening,we heard nothing.On Monday morning we again asked reception when we could go and we were told on the Tuesday. Whilst the offer said express direct transfer to Floriade, we did have to make, at our own expense, the trip to Central staion via tram,to meet the coach. On the Monday evening we went to reception to get tickets for trip and was told that we could NOT go as the coach was full ! We were rightly very dissapointed as the ONLY reason for going to Amsterdam was to go to the show as we had been ten years previous. The reception staff were unhelpful and unsympathetic, and reluctant to refund us the money we had paid for a trip we could not go on because they couldnt supply, offering us half price tickets to a museum ! They could not grasp that the ONLY reason for us to be in Amsterdam was Floriade. So at our expense we spent three miserable days, in a grotty hotel and are still waiting for the Manager to get back to us !

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is situated beside one of Amsterdam's famous city park,Vondelpark.
It was great,knowing that you can just kick off your heels and dress,change into jogging gear,and get some jogging done,without any fuss.

The tram stop is situated within 2min walk from the hotel,and there wasn't any problem getting to city centre from there.
I managed to sneak in some visits to the various world-renowned museums,though I was in Amsterdam on a tight schedule,much thanks to the great advice from the Reception staff in the hotel.
They helped me plan my visiting time,advised me on prepaid online tickets, and transport time via tram.

Breakfast was good,as the buffet selection boast of a great variety of cheese and bread. Staples like ham,eggs,grains were also provided.
It was a pleasure,sitting in the restaurant in the morning,with a good cup of coffee, and watching the streets waking up with activities.

It was a good and comfortable stay on the whole.

• Stayed August 2011
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel was quite a bit out of town when we had been told it was central we don't like to catch public transport too much but prefer the walk, it was a bit far out for that, the hotel rooms were pretty dingy and small, our bed was lumpy and cold, and really Pink Pink Pink walls doors I felt like I was in the red light district

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We spent two nights at this hotel, and the experience was mixed.

Location wise, it was on the tram line and about 15 minutes from Centraal Station. There are also loads of nice bars and restaurants around for people who want to get away from the crowds (we recommend Loetje).

Reception staff were efficient and very helpful with any enquiries, and the bar and public areas were great. We had drinks in the bar one night, and the prices were actually reasonable by Amsterdam standards.

The room was a bit eclectic - mismatched furniture, and a grotty orange carpet. The room also smelt of cannabis, so not sure if a previous occupant had been smoking in there. We were also right in front of the elevator, which was quite noisy.

The bed wasn't too comfortable, and was two single beds pushed together, with two single duvets. The room is obviously for a couple, so I don't understand this at all. Also experienced this in Brussels, so it may be a continental thing.

And finally, the bathroom, which was very odd. It was basically a wet room, with a toilet in it, and frosted glass walls that did not go up to the ceiling, and a door with a massive gap. I was there with my long-time boyfriend, and we aren't exactly shy around each other but it was a bit strange basically peeing in the bedroom. The sink is on the outside of the wet room, and was much nicer. The bathroom really pulls down my rating for this hotel. Surely they could have built a wet room with solid walls?!

For the price, this hotel was excellent value, especially by Amsterdam standards, but its really pushing it for four stars.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Park Plaza Vondelpark, Amsterdam? Share your experiences!